Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience? Still waiting.......

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 am Wow <()> I'm completely baffled by that one.

"We're going to let this one stay because you're the one who reported it and you're also the one who peed in our cereals. That'll teach you!"

The society we're living is is feeling more and more like an accurate representation of the movie idiocracy
More like - "the guys you talk to a lot peed in our cereals so we'll leave this up. HA! GOTCHA!"

That's just poor.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 am Wow <()> I'm completely baffled by that one.

"We're going to let this one stay because you're the one who reported it and you're also the one who peed in our cereals. That'll teach you!"

The society we're living is is feeling more and more like an accurate representation of the movie idiocracy
So when we try to help someone over there by linking to a post here we're in the same category as direct spam that's trying to sell a product that's completely unrelated to CAD?

Do they not realize that if they had moved the old forum to another dedicated forum platform this forum probably wouldn't even exist?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
berg_lauritz

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:16 pm So when we try to help someone over there by linking to a post here we're in the same category as direct spam that's trying to sell a product that's completely unrelated to CAD?

Do they not realize that if they had moved the old forum to another dedicated forum platform this forum probably wouldn't even exist?
Well... This post in particular was a cross post across multiple 3DX communities (not one of those classic hardcore spam things) and it was even labeled as such. I labeled it as spam BECAUSE it was a hardcore cross post.
I choose to only see the forum & the top ten list currently & anything unrelated should not appear in that feed. That's what it is for!
If people abuse this decision you'll have everything in all communities soon.

Additionally this is of course a problem of this platform (because it is made to be like any other social media platform): Without cross posting you may not reach everybody who may be interested in this - so you post it everywhere.
In a true forum you could just moderate this post and move it into the place where it should exist (sub forum) and delete it from the wrong place.

Honestly:
I despise the SWAMP. After this one big update they basically did nothing to improve it. I rarely get answers, I can find nothing, posting code is still horrible, you cannot advise somebody to do something because pictures/gifs/videos in comments are not formatted etc.
It's useless.
Even the good ideas (wiki pages etc., filter by almost anything) can not save it, because the UI does not allow you nor does it work properly (or you can not find it). It's a joke.

Edit: Also the possibility to FINALLY integrate the SPR thing, merging of all the SolidWorks accounts, adding nice video implementations etc. are not used. Neither is adding your models/selling them on there. NOTHING WORKS. Like... it's worse than my macros! HOW!!!????
Edit2: & so much more. I don't have time for this.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:31 pm Well... This post in particular was a cross post across multiple 3DX communities (not one of those classic hardcore spam things) and it was even labeled as such. I labeled it as spam BECAUSE it was a hardcore cross post.
I choose to only see the forum & the top ten list currently & anything unrelated should not appear in that feed. That's what it is for!
If people abuse this decision you'll have everything in all communities soon.

Additionally this is of course a problem of this platform (because it is made to be like any other social media platform): Without cross posting you may not reach everybody who may be interested in this - so you post it everywhere.
In a true forum you could just moderate this post and move it into the place where it should exist (sub forum) and delete it from the wrong place.

Honestly:
I despise the SWAMP. After this one big update they basically did nothing to improve it. I rarely get answers, I can find nothing, posting code is still horrible, you cannot advise somebody to do something because pictures/gifs/videos in comments are not formatted etc.
It's useless.
Even the good ideas (wiki pages etc., filter by almost anything) can not save it, because the UI does not allow you nor does it work properly (or you can not find it). It's a joke.

Edit: Also the possibility to FINALLY integrate the SPR thing, merging of all the SolidWorks accounts, adding nice video implementations etc. are not used. Neither is adding your models/selling them on there. NOTHING WORKS. Like... it's worse than my macros! HOW!!!????
Edit2: & so much more. I don't have time for this.
You need to talk to William Martin...
berg_lauritz

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:50 pm You need to talk to William Martin...
Probably a very European question:
Who is William Martin?
ResidentAtLarge
Answers: 0

Unread post by ResidentAtLarge »

It definitely does feel like today's world is looking more and more like Idiocracy. Speaking of that movie Idiocracy, why cant I find that movie streaming anywhere in the last 5-6 years. I'm constantly reminded of that movie, but have never seen it on cable or streaming anywhere. Its like the younger generation will soon be saying "What is idiocracy?" I can only imagine the views it would get when it comes back to tv. maybe it would knock some common sense into people if they do see it!
nawww... what am I thinking... stupid is as stupid does as my grandpa always said.
mattpeneguy

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:44 pm Probably a very European question:
Who is William Martin?
He's a delightful fellow over there that stepped in and was calling people out for complaining about the platform...
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

ResidentAtLarge wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:33 pm It definitely does feel like today's world is looking more and more like Idiocracy. Speaking of that movie Idiocracy, why cant I find that movie streaming anywhere in the last 5-6 years. I'm constantly reminded of that movie, but have never seen it on cable or streaming anywhere. Its like the younger generation will soon be saying "What is idiocracy?" I can only imagine the views it would get when it comes back to tv. maybe it would knock some common sense into people if they do see it!
nawww... what am I thinking... stupid is as stupid does as my grandpa always said.
Idiocracy is available on Disney+

Side note, "Just Watch" is a great app for finding what service a film/show is available to stream on.
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

ResidentAtLarge wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:33 pm
Your grandpa was Forest Gump???
ResidentAtLarge

Unread post by ResidentAtLarge »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:32 am Idiocracy is available on Disney+

Side note, "Just Watch" is a great app for finding what service a film/show is available to stream on.
Disney+?? no way! Thats a 20th Century Fox distribution movie. I'm going to have to check that out this weekend.
I guess its on Youtube for free for anyone to watch.
dave.laban

Well this bodes well.
image.png
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

The year is 2021, but please, keep the installation instructions ** ** **

image.png
Uncle_Hairball

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Lucas wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:09 pm The year is 2021, but please, keep the installation instructions ** ** **

image.png
What, no video showing how to install???
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Tsk.
image.png
image.png (6.89 KiB) Viewed 5974 times
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

What does that say? I can't read white text on a yellow background.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:51 am What does that say? I can't read white text on a yellow background.
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... zI_Z2rrf-Q

I can't read it either, but apparently it's "In Plan". Now that we know what it says, what does it mean?

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

dave.laban

Well we got shown what's coming in development for Swym a bit last night and we're going to be getting a reasonable approximation of sub-categories in a future update scheduled for...May.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

sub categories of what?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
dave.laban

Like on the old forum, sub-categories for posts about Assemblies, Weldments, Simulation etc. rather than just everything dumped together.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

dave.laban wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:15 am Like on the old forum, sub-categories for posts about Assemblies, Weldments, Simulation etc. rather than just everything dumped together.
And that will be worse than useless as long as even the admin can't move posts. <()>
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I was hoping for improvements to SW. That site is dead to me.
-
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

dave.laban wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:15 am Like on the old forum, sub-categories for posts about Assemblies, Weldments, Simulation etc. rather than just everything dumped together.
So they finally gave up on their 6W(hat the hell are you talking about)Tag? ;;
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
dave.laban

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:41 am So they finally gave up on their 6W(hat the hell are you talking about)Tag? ;;
Guess again! <ll>

Posts will still need tagging for the categories to work, but there's going to be a bunch of preset tags (i.e. the categories) that you're then prompted to pick at least one of for each post. The categories are then visible from the home screen of the community much more prominently.

It's never going to be as good as a proper forum but they're working within the bars of their prison as best they can.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

dave.laban wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:49 am Guess again! <ll>

Posts will still need tagging for the categories to work, but there's going to be a bunch of preset tags (i.e. the categories) that you're then prompted to pick at least one of for each post. The categories are then visible from the home screen of the community much more prominently.

It's never going to be as good as a proper forum but they're working within the bars of their prison as best they can.
Quote from Ernest Tucker in the movie Pure Country: "The funny thing about that little white speck on the top of chicken $#!+. That little white speck is chicken $#!+ too."
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

..ah, feelings...
Attachments
Image 1.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

I am confused, Out IDEA is thumbs up?
image.png
image.png (1.72 KiB) Viewed 5762 times
image.png
image.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 5762 times
berg_lauritz

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:01 am I am confused, Out IDEA is thumbs up?

image.png

image.png
hahahaha - WHAT?
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:01 am I am confused, Out IDEA is thumbs up?

image.png

image.png
All the ideas that are still "IN" are bad ideas, and they ignore "OUT" the good ideas. Pretty simple actually!
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Does anyone know what the ticket is to get the notifications to work over in the SWAMP? Or are they permanently broke? I am using Firefox and Windows 10.

This is all I see:
3D SWYM Notifications.gif
Edit: changed file to .gif
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Any time I go to that site I have to hit refresh a couple of times.
-
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

The only refreshing thing about that platform is Matthew's willfulness and dedication to help people while trying to manage what he can manage. I just hope he doesn't end up being another pawn for the development of the platform.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

AlexB wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:34 am All the ideas that are still "IN" are bad ideas, and they ignore "OUT" the good ideas. Pretty simple actually!
Now that i think about it, idea are still IN are bad ideas because DS need to work on that and listen to their customer input. Idea that are Out are good as they can sweep it under the rug
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

SPerman wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:58 pm Any time I go to that site I have to hit refresh a couple of times.
One time is enough.
image.png
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:58 pm Any time I go to that site I have to hit refresh a couple of times.
Just like their customer portal, only more.
mattpeneguy

bnemec wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:01 am Just like their customer portal, only more.
More is better, right?
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

bnemec wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:01 am Just like their customer portal, only more.
Isnt the customer portal worst?
I normally need more than 10 tries to access the admin dashboard grumph

Tried it again today and it download some weird file? WTF?
image.png
mattpeneguy

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:53 pm Isnt the customer portal worst?
I normally need more than 10 tries to access the admin dashboard grumph

Tried it again today and it download some weird file? WTF?
image.png
Have you tried double clicking and installing it?
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Talon95

Unread post by Talon95 »

I was so disappointed to see the schedule for Solidworks World this year. The content is so 3DX focused that the entire conference is useless!

Why on earth are they spending so much time and money on a product that I can't say I know a single engineer or company that uses it. They need to fire their CEO, they can't keep on making us angry and ignoring the product that is their bread and butter, that we all use. 3DX might as well be Solidworks Apps for Kids. I don't mind them developing it, using it at universities and for small companies, but it can't be their main focus. That's a complete lack of leadership.

I participated in the 3DX feedback/testing program last year and I was a little shocked that they weren't even using Solidworks as the template for designing the UI. It seems to be a completely different team developing 3DX and they aren't familiar with Solidworks, and aren't calling the same features by the same name, or using similar methodology that has been proven to work. I don't mind changing the UI to be more internet/touch friendly, but please at least keep using what works and enable a smooth transition if that's what you're trying to sell us on.

3DX is a disaster and it's about time they get back to focusing on what we the users are asking for.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

@Talon95, initially there were a lot of SW sessions to be presented in-person. I know that, because I was supposed to deliver 5 of those.
With the last minute switch to a 100% virtual conference, many presenters did not have time to record videos in time to submit them to the virtual track. In my case, I barely made the deadline with only 2 presentations (still 100% SW focused).

One session that we should all attend is the Top 10 List one. Also, there are several opportunities to connect with the executives, including the CEO during “ Fireside Chat with Executives” sessions.
AlexLachance

Their new implementation of "tags" seems to be extremely awful. I think that's about the point where I "give up" on trying for that platform, at the very least until drastic changes are implemented that show their commitment to doing something that actually makes sense, or at least explaining the illogicality they dare call a platform.

I'll give Manish his lenience, but to be frank I'm not expecting much of a difference.
image.png
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:36 pm Their new implementation of "tags" seems to be extremely awful. I think that's about the point where I "give up" on trying for that platform, at the very least until drastic changes are implemented that show their commitment to doing something that actually makes sense, or at least explaining the illogicality they dare call a platform.

I'll give Manish his lenience, but to be frank I'm not expecting much of a difference.

image.png
2022-02-10 17_27_40.jpg
Am I cruel and unjust?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance

mike miller wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:28 pm 2022-02-10 17_27_40.jpg

Am I cruel and unjust?
I think in one post you just showed how stupid the idea was
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Am I cruel and unjust?
Nope, not cruel AND unjust. They might say you were just cruel.

I think it is perfectly hilarious!
No, it is hilarious and perfect!!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
dave.laban

When reading big long lists of tags like that does anyone else read it in a really staccato fashion like each tag symbol is a full stop or something? My brain just can't process text written that way.
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:36 pm Their new implementation of "tags" seems to be extremely awful. I think that's about the point where I "give up" on trying for that platform, at the very least until drastic changes are implemented that show their commitment to doing something that actually makes sense, or at least explaining the illogicality they dare call a platform.

image.png
image.png (43.98 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
Ya mean the guy that asked for all of our "valuable UX input" and completely vanished? I think your expectations will be met.
BTW, if everything were tagged that way, the search may actually work...
Glenn Schroeder

Am I cruel and unjust?
I liked @josh's reply.

AlexLachance

dave.laban wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:38 am When reading big long lists of tags like that does anyone else read it in a really staccato fashion like each tag symbol is a full stop or something? My brain just can't process text written that way.
That is the exact reason I can't fathom having visually identified tags like that.

I can understand to have the search work on most words, but does it really need to show the tag directly in a post?

I like Josh's reply, but I think he forgets that you can have both, it's not a matter of "choose one over the other", it's a matter of "This is incomplete, utterly useless, and causes more confusion then helps users"

But then again, that seems to be a reccuring theme over the last 2 years.
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:32 am That is the exact reason I can't fathom having visually identified tags like that.

I can understand to have the search work on most words, but does it really need to show the tag directly in a post?

I like Josh's reply, but I think he forgets that you can have both, it's not a matter of "choose one over the other", it's a matter of "This is incomplete, utterly useless, and causes more confusion then helps users"

But then again, that seems to be a reccuring theme over the last 2 years.
I thought that was the platform's mission statement...
mattpeneguy

Wow! That's all I can say.
image.png