How to make obvious that a file has been branched, ie. changes likely to come

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

How to make obvious that a file has been branched, ie. changes likely to come

Unread post by bnemec »

We are trying to use Branch and Merge to help with proposed changes. Mostly because we do not have a clean way to move a file from WIP (transitioned from Released for a supposed change) back to Released to in effect cancel proposed revision Problem we're running into is that it's not obvious to all other CAD users that a file had been branched and likely has changes coming soon.
One of the selling points of PDM was that the state and checked out status of a file was obvious to all PDM users. However, if someone branches a Released file to evaluate proposed changes there is nothing indicating users of this potential change. I understand the branches can be found through the RMB menu in Vault View or Search tool, but that's an active search. Showing the state or who has the file checked out in columns is a passive indicator, no action required to find the data. Also, I cannot find in the SW PDM Add-in where to get the branch and merge info for files. I have been pushing people to use the PDM Add-in if they have file(s) open in Solidworks. If it does not contain Branch/Merge data then we need to rethink that.

Are people using Branch and Merge as part of their normal process to evaluate proposed changes?

Is there a way to make obvious that a file has been branched (indicating potential changes)?

The only idea we have so far is to add another state to the workflow between Released and WIP, perhaps "ChangesProposed" or something and that would be the state where Branches could happen, and WIP also of course. But the point is it's obvious that there may be changes coming but the file still cannot be checked out in this state so it would be safe to let users send it back to Released.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Re: How to make obvious that a file has been branched, ie. changes likely to come

Unread post by MJuric »

This is interesting. I don't even have a branch option in our PDM. Is this something that needs to be set up at the administrator level? I can see this coming in handy for a few things if it works properly.
bnemec

Re: How to make obvious that a file has been branched, ie. changes likely to come

Unread post by bnemec »

MJuric wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:55 pm This is interesting. I don't even have a branch option in our PDM. Is this something that needs to be set up at the administrator level? I can see this coming in handy for a few things if it works properly.
Definitely set up in the Admin Tool. IIRC it's by folder and user/group also State, the nice thing about PDM is it's highly configurable, the bad thing about PDM is it's highly configurable.

Also, I think branch and merge was new for 2018 or 2019.

It's interesting tool. Programmers have it easy, they can branch and merge files and the merge can be done line by line since it's all text files. CAD models cannot do that so there's less benefit. For example prints may as well not be merged as the rev table is all wrong, we manually clear it out as the branched file is a new file in PDM and starts out like any other new file so the system rev counter is at 00 for us. There's a bunch of data card variables that need set at branching and again at merging. It's not just plug and play.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

The state could be a good idea "Released - Pending change" or something. Another idea is a version free variable on the data card. Then add the column to you search and file list.
image.png
You guys are really venturing into the realm of what SolidWorks Manage does.....for additional $$$ of course.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:26 pm The state could be a good idea "Released - Pending change" or something. Another idea is a version free variable on the data card. Then add the column to you search and file list.

image.png

You guys are really venturing into the realm of what SolidWorks Manage does.....for additional $$$ of course.
Adding version free variable; I'm not seeing how to set that on the parent file when it is branched. Or do we need to rely on the users to set this variable?

Manage yeah, the "Don't ask PDM to do PLM" talk. hhhh PDM may have been oversold.

PDM was claimed to organize our process and protect the data but it feels like it has handcuffed us and can't quite provide the tools to finish the job. Not the first time we've been told "well, that's more of a PLM thing." since going live with PDM.
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:42 pm Adding version free variable; I'm not seeing how to set that on the parent file when it is branched. Or do we need to rely on the users to set this variable?

Manage yeah, the "Don't ask PDM to do PLM" talk. hhhh PDM may have been oversold.

PDM was claimed to organize our process and protect the data but it feels like it has handcuffed us and can't quite provide the tools to finish the job. Not the first time we've been told "well, that's more of a PLM thing." since going live with PDM.
Without resorting to API, the users would have to set it on the parent. I'm guessing that would be the case as well for using the new state option.

PDM is limited to what PDM does, document management and workflows on those docs. Doing more complex change processes is the realm of PLM which SolidWorks didn't have until Manage was introduced. Like you guys, we shoehorned it into PDM, for us with a lot of customization via the API. The alternatives are products like Windchill, Teamcenter, and Enovia (3dx). We went the Windchill route. Expect to pay a lot more in software and implementation costs with those products, but they do more.

This is what you are asking for looks looks like in WC. This symbol shows up when an object gets linked to an ECO as an "Affected object".
image.png
image.png (12.39 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Jason
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:52 pm Without resorting to API, the users would have to set it on the parent. I'm guessing that would be the case as well for using the new state option.

PDM is limited to what PDM does, document management and workflows on those docs. Doing more complex change processes is the realm of PLM which SolidWorks didn't have until Manage was introduced. Like you guys, we shoehorned it into PDM, for us with a lot of customization via the API. The alternatives are products like Windchill, Teamcenter, and Enovia (3dx). We went the Windchill route. Expect to pay a lot more in software and implementation costs with those products, but they do more.

This is what you are asking for looks looks like in WC. This symbol shows up when an object gets linked to an ECO as an "Affected object".
image.png
@jcapriotti, I don't know what you're paying for Windchill but our quote for Teamcenter Rapid Start was LESS per author than our accounting/half-baked ERP software. IIRC author price was ~$950/year and consumer (read-only) was ~$450. Got a meeting in 30 minutes to talk about logistics and testing. :mrgreen:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
jcapriotti

@mike miller Can you customize it? The FAQ suggest a no, or rather not recommended. Also what capabilities does it have? What does it lack that full TC is needed?
Jason
jcapriotti

@mike miller The WC pricing didn't sound bad at first but its named user licensing and we have many, many casual read-only users. So 100 PDM edit licenses and 100 viewer licenses turned into 3 times those numbers. So much we are taking another document viewer system and exporting PDFs of documents for our factory and field personnel to use to view drawings in it. Even reducing those number we are paying 3 times.
Jason
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:01 pm @mike miller Can you customize it? The FAQ suggest a no, or rather not recommended. Also what capabilities does it have? What does it lack that full TC is needed?
You can customize it to some extent, just not as much as the "standard" TC. There are a two main goals with TC-RS: keep it simple for an easier installation that 80% of users want anyway, and remove the most complex options that few users ever need and most users are overwhelmed with. We're not an auto-maker (or an elevator-maker :D ) or a hospital (yes really) or a company that needs a crazy modification.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I can say from experience the "full blown" version of TC is extremely powerful, but like you said, with all of those options, it's easy to set traps for yourself. We had a difficult time getting much of management to sign on. They built the security matrix in "ultra paranoid" mode, so no one could ever find anything. Once they got that sorted management didn't really have a choice. That's where all of the info was stored. It is still only as good as the end users, and if they aren't building all of the appropriate relationships (which can be a job unto itself) the system isn't being used to its full potential.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:25 pm I can say from experience the "full blown" version of TC is extremely powerful, but like you said, with all of those options, it's easy to set traps for yourself. We had a difficult time getting much of management to sign on. They built the security matrix in "ultra paranoid" mode, so no one could ever find anything. Once they got that sorted management didn't really have a choice. That's where all of the info was stored. It is still only as good as the end users, and if they aren't building all of the appropriate relationships (which can be a job unto itself) the system isn't being used to its full potential.
Yeah, we are finding that out with WC as well. Bad thing is the company just sort of jumped in with both feet without really considering how it should work. Couple that with multiple divisions all found different things, and lots of different legacy systems downstream, it can be a bit of mess.

There is a lot of options and functionality but it takes careful planning and good knowledge of the softwares modules to implement well.
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

We had 2 fulltime employees, plus lots of resources available from Siemens, including having people onsite for several weeks. It was in the planning stages for close to a year. It still had plenty of hiccups. (It also involved migrating from Ideas to NX, so there was a lot going on all at once.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:09 pm We had 2 fulltime employees, plus lots of resources available from Siemens, including having people onsite for several weeks. It was in the planning stages for close to a year. It still had plenty of hiccups. (It also involved migrating from Ideas to NX, so there was a lot going on all at once.)
We started this journey of PLM selection 7 years ago. We've been loading data for 3 years now and we still have many months to go.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I was thinking there is a way to set permission to branch by user/group and workflow state, but now I cannot find it. The only branch settings I can find are in the user/group properties dialog to exclude branching files by folder and in the settings dialog to set up any data card variable edits based on file type.

Is there a place to grant/remove permission to branch files based on user group and workflow state? ...other than in Manage...

Thank you.
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:37 pm I was thinking there is a way to set permission to branch by user/group and workflow state, but now I cannot find it. The only branch settings I can find are in the user/group properties dialog to exclude branching files by folder and in the settings dialog to set up any data card variable edits based on file type.

Is there a place to grant/remove permission to branch files based on user group and workflow state? ...other than in Manage...

Thank you.
Doesn't appear you can limit it to a workflow, just a folder and group.
Jason