About Rhino

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
Lucas
Answers: 2

About Rhino

Unread post by Lucas »

For some time I have been curious about Rhinoceros and would like to know your opinions about it.

How is it compared to others CAD for engineering design?
Is doing fillet still troublesome?
Surfacing environment comparison
How is Grasshopper for parametric modeling? Does it have a good workflow?

General Pros and Cons

tu tu tu
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: About Rhino

Unread post by zxys001 »

Lucas wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:38 am For some time I have been curious about Rhinoceros and would like to know your opinions about it.

How is it compared to others CAD for engineering design?
Is doing fillet still troublesome?
Surfacing environment comparison
How is Grasshopper for parametric modeling? Does it have a good workflow?

General Pros and Cons

tu tu tu
Hello Lucas,

I've owned it since the beginning (alpha/beta).
I do not use it full-time..., I use it as a 2D/3D Swiss Army Knife because it has dissection features/functions well beyond SW.
Fillets. I do not use it but it is better than it was back in v5 (not sure what version you recall?).
Surfacing. I use the manipulation functionality for extraction purposes.
Grasshopper. I only play/experiment with the add-ins.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

zxys001 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:33 pm Hello Lucas,

I've owned it since the beginning (alpha/beta).
I do not use it full-time..., I use it as a 2D/3D Swiss Army Knife because it has dissection features/functions well beyond SW.
Fillets. I do not use it but it is better than it was back in v5 (not sure what version you recall?).
Surfacing. I use the manipulation functionality for extraction purposes.
Grasshopper. I only play/experiment with the add-ins.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the version I saw was v5, its already dated by now, tho:

Is it possible to set measurements and constraints in the sketch? For what I have seen it looks like too much free modeling

What about the industry? Is it popular among engineers?
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Lucas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 am Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the version I saw was v5, its already dated by now, tho:

Is it possible to set measurements and constraints in the sketch? For what I have seen it looks like too much free modeling

What about the industry? Is it popular among engineers?
..yeah,.. he starts with being fair in saying he will not touch the capabilities of either tools. but that's 2017, a pretty old video and OnShape was very young still. And I honestly do not agree with how he setup/constructed the models in SolidWorks.
With inly minutes differences between the 3 tested and I think anyone who watches that would do things differently or a measure of much.... but minutes does not reflect with the hours and iterations of a mechanical design.
BTW,.. there is/was a very good parametric add-on (maybe more now) for Rhino3D.. and the fillet options were better/faster, imho.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:30 am ..yeah,.. he starts with being fair in saying he will not touch the capabilities of either tools. but that's 2017, a pretty old video and OnShape was very young still. And I honestly do not agree with how he setup/constructed the models in SolidWorks.
With inly minutes differences between the 3 tested and I think anyone who watches that would do things differently or a measure of much.... but minutes does not reflect with the hours and iterations of a mechanical design.
BTW,.. there is/was a very good parametric add-on (maybe more now) for Rhino3D.. and the fillet options were better/faster, imho.
Yeah, I agree. Its also possible to fast sketch everything in SW without measurements, he used different approaches on the comparison lol
Guess I will give it a try soon, thanks UU