Four Tube Joint

Lucas
Answers: 2

Four Tube Joint

Unread post by Lucas »

I saw a guy asking for advise about how to this on Reddit:
image.png
This kind of joint is pretty common on carbon road bikes, although they are more likely to use truncated NACA profiles and probably an advanced surfacing software NX/Catia/Alias/whatever (do you know what they use? lol)

Anyway, I gave it a try using boundary stripes and fill surfaces, everything has a tangency continuity (Yey 8-) ):
image.png
image.png

But making all those Split Lines were a pain. Would be nice to have a subdivide tool on the edges, is there something like it?
One other way to split it would be with Trim Surface and add Split Entities on the sketch, but it does not feel appropriate to this 3D condition (I mean, having a good precision)

Please, share your thoughts and results! =)
Attachments
Four-Tube Joint.SLDPRT
(499.19 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
MJuric
Answers: 1

Re: Four Tube Joint

Unread post by MJuric »

Lucas wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:21 am I saw a guy asking for advise about how to this on Reddit:
image.png

This kind of joint is pretty common on carbon road bikes, although they are more likely to use truncated NACA profiles and probably an advanced surfacing software NX/Catia/Alias/whatever (do you know what they use? lol)
Not only that but I've never seen that specific joint on a bike. Looks like the head joint and fork...but that one would be really hard to turn with :shock: :D
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

MJuric wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:10 am Not only that but I've never seen that specific joint on a bike. Looks like the head joint and fork...but that one would be really hard to turn with :shock: :D
Well, bending a little bit and adding a hole you have the Bottom Bracket area, or adding another tube you have a model with integrated seat post. Not with this round shape tho, just steel bikes use them... but yeah, doesn't look so much, it just resembled me a Giant TCR SL for some reason. lol

Still, I tried to make a Bottom Bracket joint after this and failed miserably. Doing something like a carbon frame modeling in SW seems a work for masochists hahaha
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Lucas wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:45 am Well, bending a little bit and adding a hole you have the Bottom Bracket area, or adding another tube you have a model with integrated seat post. Not with this round shape tho, just steel bikes use them... but yeah, doesn't look so much, it just resembled me a Giant TCR SL for some reason. lol

Still, I tried to make a Bottom Bracket joint after this and failed miserably. Doing something like a carbon frame modeling in SW seems a work for masochists hahaha
I'm not a surface guy but I suspect that the "Best" and possibly only way to get a good carbon fiber model for something like that is with surfaces.

That's a case where something with more organic capabilities would be the better choice over something like SW.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

If you don't like using the split points in the trim sketch, you could just use the handles in the feature. Maybe constrain them to 3d sketch points. I don't know of any way to split edges directly. I've made several joints like this, and have always used the split points in trim curves.
image.png
image.png (41.26 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
image.png
image.png (80.82 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
image.png
image.png (13.47 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Attachments
bikeex1104.tif
bikeex1104.tif (115.2 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

matt wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:48 pm If you don't like using the split points in the trim sketch, you could just use the handles in the feature. Maybe constrain them to 3d sketch points. I don't know of any way to split edges directly. I've made several joints like this, and have always used the split points in trim curves.
That's some nice joints. Have you tried making some in SE?
MJuric wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:51 am That's a case where something with more organic capabilities would be the better choice over something like SW.
Using Subdivision looks so nice and smooth, can't wait to have this in SW lol
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Lucas wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:21 am I saw a guy asking for advise about how to this on Reddit:
image.png

Anyway, I gave it a try using boundary stripes and fill surfaces, everything has a tangency continuity (Yey 8-) ):
image.png
image.png

But making all those Split Lines were a pain. Would be nice to have a subdivide tool on the edges, is there something like it?
One other way to split it would be with Trim Surface and add Split Entities on the sketch, but it does not feel appropriate to this 3D condition (I mean, having a good precision)

Please, share your thoughts and results! =)
It's very possible in SW... but yeah, it takes time setting up.... and yeah, it would have been friggin great if DS would have had the balls to include SubD into SW but they failed all of us.
One of the kewlist new features in Rhino3D is MultiPipe.. it's exactly what your wanting... I did this in less than a minute in Rhino and ~3min total to transfer into SW. (images)

..oh,.. an attempt of your blend in SW.
Attachments
Four-Tube Jnt-z.zip
(874.04 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
jn 2.png
multv.png
mult.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

Nice Split Lines, much simpler workflow UU
zxys001 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:01 am One of the kewlist new features in Rhino3D is MultiPipe.. it's exactly what your wanting... I did this in less than a minute in Rhino and ~3min total to transfer into SW. (images)
That's it I am going Rhino ;;
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

FWIW, we all know that DSS could add it to SWX desktop since they added it to 3DX. :(

https://www.goengineer.com/solidworks-2 ... nphapcpsoz"

The alternative is Solid Edge. They added Sub-D in 2019 [edit: 2021, actually] and are expanding it.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

@Alin Next SWPUC? :P

Edit: now that I think of it I believe you've already done a SWPUC along that line.
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:52 am @Alin Next SWPUC? :P

Edit: now that I think of it I believe you've already done a SWPUC along that line.
Pfft...if he hasn't there's no need, I'd win (and I didn't need any fancy software to solve this problem):
image.png
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

mattpeneguy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:38 pm Pfft...if he hasn't there's no need, I'd win (and I didn't need any fancy software to solve this problem):
image.png
I don't see anything wrong with that.

Isometric view is correct.....
Speling is corect....
All caps for notes.....

()
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Lucas

Unread post by Lucas »

mattpeneguy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:38 pm Pfft...if he hasn't there's no need, I'd win (and I didn't need any fancy software to solve this problem):
This is a whole different level of modeling. Please, show me the way oa oa oa
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

image.png
..that font should be in cursive if you want G2 or G3. ><
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
KevinC

Unread post by KevinC »

Although it's only 2 pipe & 3 pipe examples, there's a how-to lesson at MySolidWorks>Training:
https://my.solidworks.com/training/mast ... lex-blends
image.png
Cbecks Design
Answers: 0

Unread post by Cbecks Design »

zxys001 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:01 am
One of the kewlist new features in Rhino3D is MultiPipe.. it's exactly what your wanting... I did this in less than a minute in Rhino and ~3min total to transfer into SW. (images)
Fanstastic outcome there.

Do you ever do your surfacing in Rhino and then bring that surface into SolidWorks to finish off the part?
I've been considering this as a workflow to get better surfacing designs done.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Cbecks Design wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:10 pm Fanstastic outcome there.

Do you ever do your surfacing in Rhino and then bring that surface into SolidWorks to finish off the part?
I've been considering this as a workflow to get better surfacing designs done.
Not often enough. I just add what I need when I need it when SW can't and go back to SW.
There are many ID Designers/Companies I've worked which use Rhino3D, very common.
It's worth getting or look at Moi3D.
Arthur NY

Unread post by Arthur NY »

I posted about this plug in for Solidworks but if this is the kind of work you do, and lord knows NO new surfacing tools have been introduced in over 10 years, then you might want to take a look at X-Nurbs.

As far as SubD modeling goes (and this is staying within the more CAD-Like Software's)

- Modo
- Rhino3D
- MOI
- Fusion 360
- SolidEdge
- xDesign
Krzysztof Szpakowski

Unread post by Krzysztof Szpakowski »

Lucas wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:21 am Anyway, I gave it a try using boundary stripes and fill surfaces, everything has a tangency continuity (Yey 8-) ):
image.png
image.png (86.02 KiB) Viewed 779 times

Your example is so simple that it can be done without using surface tools. We often complicate the task ourselves. Sometimes it's better to send a soldier on a bicycle with grenades than to send tanks ;-)

image.png