Ok, we gotta have some rules...

Please Read Forum Rules. Won't take too long.
matt
Answers: 18

Ok, we gotta have some rules...

Unread post by matt »

The rules are all those things you learned in kindergarten about dealing with other people.

In case you skipped kindergarten, or maybe just forgot, let me spell it out a little:
  1. No personal attacks or disrespect toward groups of people. Except accordion players. I HATE accordion players. (refer to item 5 below).
  2. Keep all topics on-topic, with the exception of the Off-Topic topic. Wait... What?
  3. Treat everyone with respect. Please. Even if they are wrong.
  4. Politics, religion, racial and sexuality-related arguments are off-topic even in the off-topic area. I don't care who you are, where you're from or what you look like. I just want to hear about how you CAD.
  5. Don't copy/paste content out of the murdered SW forum, or post pdf printed copies. It's against their terms of use, and we don't need the hassle. We brought most of the brain power over here, and that's where most of that content came from anyhow.
  6. [SUGGESTION] Sarcasm can be noted as such: "[sarcasm]Circular references are considered best practice in my office[/sarcasm]." Or: Circular references are considered best practice in my office. (official sarcasm font color is #8000FF). Or: Circular References are considered best practice in my office :roll: Remember that sarcasm is hard to convey in writing, and is very often misinterpreted in forums.
  7. [SUGGESTION] Don't eat the paste. That's the part I remember from kindergarten. Never thought I'd be able to use that bit of advice professionally, but I guess I was wrong.
Anyway, I don't like rules so please don't make me remind you of them. Feel free to talk to me about anything you think should be included or removed from the rules.
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Re: Ok, we gotta have some rules...

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Could we just have one "Room With Carpet, Floor, Walls and Ceiling" and a Couch and a Chair, or a Ring with Ropes and Boxing Gloves ????
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Lapuo
Answers: 0

Unread post by Lapuo »

I really dont like rule number 5. If i want to be sarcastic , last thing i wanna do is be so obvious.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Lapuo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:27 am I really dont like rule number 5. If i want to be sarcastic , last thing i wanna do is be so obvious.
Yeah, ok. You see, I was being sarcastic, and it didn't work in print. The sarcasm thing is obviously NOT a rule. I just wanted to make that a suggestion. I thought that was obvious, but see, I can be wrong too. I've used the purple text before and I think it worked, and gives you another level of expression. I for one will use it, but I don't really expect others to use it, although it's cool if you do. The thing is that what you think is obvious is not obvious to everyone.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Rule 7, no arguing over the rules. Also from Kindergarten but useful in professional environment. ;)
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:25 am Rule 7, no arguing over the rules. Also from Kindergarten but useful in professional environment. ;)
Ok, I'm working on that like button....
RickB

Unread post by RickB »

In kindergarten I learned that boys have penises and girls have vaginas...
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Rick... lol

I actually had some of the upper graders tell me to say to the teacher FU - they had some explaining to do, she figured out who said what, that something a 5 or 6 year old just doesn't come up with on their own, they hear it, they'll say it.... reminisce
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

We need 3 more to get an even 10 Cadmandments.
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:40 pm We need 3 more to get an even 10 Cadmandments.
OH, that's good. I might have to borrow that one. :D
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:43 am
jcapriotti wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:40 pm We need 3 more to get an even 10 Cadmandments.
OH, that's good. I might have to borrow that one. :D
I'm not sure. "Cadmandments- Forum" maybe. Cadmandments would be things like:

1. Fully Define your sketches.
2. Use Symmetry whenever possible.
3. Save early and save often.
4. Keep sketches simple.
5. Don't use a 3d sketch unless you really need a 3d sketch.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Roasted By John wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm Rick... lol

I actually had some of the upper graders tell me to say to the teacher FU - they had some explaining to do, she figured out who said what, that something a 5 or 6 year old just doesn't come up with on their own, they hear it, they'll say it.... reminisce
Maybe back when you were a kid. Last weekend my daughter was over for dinner and she told us that a class mate of our grandkid had gotten not one, but two girls pregnant....they're in sixth grade.

They gotta know how to say FU in Kindergarten these days if they are doing it in 6th.
Tony Tieuli

Unread post by Tony Tieuli »

MJuric wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:23 pm
Roasted By John wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:04 pm Rick... lol

Maybe back when you were a kid. Last weekend my daughter was over for dinner and she told us that a class mate of our grandkid had gotten not one, but two girls pregnant....they're in sixth grade.

They gotta know how to say FU in Kindergarten these days if they are doing it in 6th.
But did she mention that the 6th grader who got the girls pregnant is 17 years old?
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

Rule number 5.
So what does Rick have to shut down Company now?

(How do we link people to names?)
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I have one perpetual issue with Rule #3, "Treat everyone with respect. Please. Even if they are wrong," and that is Perpetual Motion Machines.

We've seen this one in the past, and will surely see it again sometime. Is saying, "No. You're wrong and we don't care. Go away and take this junk with you." respectful enough? Is it any better to ignore it and allow it to .. perpetuate? As always, I'm ok with what rules intend as long as I'm clear on it.

This seems to be a recurring topic where some dreamer brings an idea to engineers for it to be eviscerated, slaughtered, roasted (or smoked if you prefer), and served up hot with a delicious side of sarcasm and ridicule. I resisted starting a fake thread as negative example.
matt

Unread post by matt »

@Tom G I know what you mean. If Jon Ba***uer were to show up, I'm not sure I could be respectful. One of my personal rules is that there is an exception to every rule, which maybe should have also been added.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

@matt , you missed a few......

#8 - Doo unto others as you would have them doo unto you.
#9 - Mispellings are unaceptable.
#10 - Don't eat the yellow snow.

See, now we have the full Ten Cadmandments. :D
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mirisj

Unread post by mirisj »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:24 am
Lapuo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:27 am I really dont like rule number 5. If i want to be sarcastic , last thing i wanna do is be so obvious.
Yeah, ok. You see, I was being sarcastic, and it didn't work in print. The sarcasm thing is obviously NOT a rule. I just wanted to make that a suggestion. I thought that was obvious, but see, I can be wrong too. I've used the purple text before and I think it worked, and gives you another level of expression. I for one will use it, but I don't really expect others to use it, although it's cool if you do. The thing is that what you think is obvious is not obvious to everyone.
How many times do I have to discuss how discriminatory color coding is?
Jeff Mirisola
"Retired" CSWE
Rabblerouser
matt

Unread post by matt »

mirisj wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm
@mirisj That wouldn't be Jeff Mirisola of the Tool Shed fame, would it? There goes the neighborhood! Hey, Jeff, it's been a while! Retired, huh? Damn good to hear from you again. Anyway, glad to see you here. Hope you enjoy it.
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

How can I make #8000FF my default font color?
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Hey @matt ,
I think there's a way to make [sarc] [/sarc] show as purple in the admin panel:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... in-phpbb3/

I'm with @HerrTick, I'd probably use it so much, it maybe should be my default.
matt

Unread post by matt »

mattpeneguy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:24 am Hey @matt ,
I think there's a way to make show as purple in the admin panel:

HerrTick wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:53 am How can I make #8000FF my default font color?
image.png
Oh, wow, that was way too easy. Thanks for pointing that out. @HerrTick you've got a button in the interface now. We should name that one after you. oa
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

matt wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:38 pm
mattpeneguy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:24 am Hey @matt ,
I think there's a way to make show as purple in the admin panel:

HerrTick wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:53 am How can I make #8000FF my default font color?
image.png

Oh, wow, that was way too easy. Thanks for pointing that out. @HerrTick you've got a button in the interface now. We should name that one after you. oa
Nice work @matt...But, I'll probably never use it...
jayar
Answers: 2

Unread post by jayar »

Fourth Bruce: Are you a Poofta?

Michael: No!

Fourth Bruce: No. Right, I just want to remind you of the faculty rules: Rule One!

Everybruce: No Pooftas!

Fourth Bruce: Rule Two, no member of the faculty is to maltreat the Abbos in any way at all -- if there's anybody watching...... Rule Three?

Everybruce: No Pooftas!!

Fourth Bruce: Rule Four, now this term, I don't want to catch anybody not drinking..... Rule Five,

Everybruce: No Pooftas!

Fourth Bruce: Rule Six, there is NO ... Rule Six!... Rule Seven,

Everybruce: No Pooftas!!

Fourth Bruce: Right, that concludes the readin' of the rules, Bruce.

First Bruce: This here's the wattle, the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand.

~Monty Python - Reading of the rules.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:56 pm @matt , you missed a few......

#8 - Doo unto others as you would have them doo unto you.
I wish people would think about this "Golden Rule" a bit more. I'm pretty sure that most of us do not want people doing things to us that they would want done to them.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Tom G wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:40 pm I have one perpetual issue with Rule #3, "Treat everyone with respect. Please. Even if they are wrong," and that is Perpetual Motion Machines.

We've seen this one in the past, and will surely see it again sometime. Is saying, "No. You're wrong and we don't care. Go away and take this junk with you." respectful enough? Is it any better to ignore it and allow it to .. perpetuate? As always, I'm ok with what rules intend as long as I'm clear on it.

This seems to be a recurring topic where some dreamer brings an idea to engineers for it to be eviscerated, slaughtered, roasted (or smoked if you prefer), and served up hot with a delicious side of sarcasm and ridicule. I resisted starting a fake thread as negative example.
I think all to often there is an assumption that telling someone they are wrong is somehow rude and disrespectful. Personally I think quite the opposite. It shows a great deal of respect to express your position and why you think they are in error and why. When you're wrong....you're wrong and going about the rest of your life thinking you are correct is a diservice...in my opinion.
matt

Unread post by matt »

MJuric wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:14 am I think all to often there is an assumption that telling someone they are wrong is somehow rude and disrespectful. Personally I think quite the opposite. It shows a great deal of respect to express your position and why you think they are in error and why. When you're wrong....you're wrong and going about the rest of your life thinking you are correct is a diservice...in my opinion.
Yeah, I totally agree that you can't let "wrong" stuff slide, but there are 2 things you have to get around:

1) sometimes right and wrong are subjective, or at least dependent on the situation
2) no one person is always right, except maybe @Alin ;)

I'm certainly not the person to be lecturing on how to deal with delicate situations, I can see a lot of coffee just sprayed at monitors around the world, but just remember that opinions are opinions, and you can disagree without belittling anyone.

(Geez, why do I feel like I'm talking to myself 20 years ago?)
jcapriotti

Constructive criticism, learn to give it, learn to take it.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:22 am
MJuric wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:14 am I think all to often there is an assumption that telling someone they are wrong is somehow rude and disrespectful. Personally I think quite the opposite. It shows a great deal of respect to express your position and why you think they are in error and why. When you're wrong....you're wrong and going about the rest of your life thinking you are correct is a diservice...in my opinion.
Yeah, I totally agree that you can't let "wrong" stuff slide, but there are 2 things you have to get around:

1) sometimes right and wrong are subjective, or at least dependent on the situation
2) no one person is always right, except maybe @Alin ;)

I'm certainly not the person to be lecturing on how to deal with delicate situations, I can see a lot of coffee just sprayed at monitors around the world, but just remember that opinions are opinions, and you can disagree without belittling anyone.

(Geez, why do I feel like I'm talking to myself 20 years ago?)
. . . and Deepak (@gupta9665) .
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:22 am but just remember that opinions are opinions, and you can disagree without belittling anyone.
At the same time it's a bit dangerous to claim a fact is an opinion just to allow everyone's "Opinion" to carry equal weight and not hurt anyone's feelings.
matt

Unread post by matt »

MJuric wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:15 pm At the same time it's a bit dangerous to claim a fact is an opinion just to allow everyone's "Opinion" to carry equal weight and not hurt anyone's feelings.
I smell a trap. But that's your opinion.

If someone says "SolidWorks sucks", that's an opinion, and I would say it's partially wrong, partially right. if they say "SolidWorks scan data tools suck because they are slow", that's a fact.

Ok, maybe we ignore facts. That's always popular. We just have opinions that are substantiated in a verifiable way or not.

I've really stepped in it now. This is a rabbit hole you can't climb out of once you start down it. Democracy is messy.

I'm not going to win this one. Let's just deal with it as it happens, and then we'll execute any members found to be in violation of my opinions. Now I see why most admins don't get involved and just mete out judgment from on high without reason or discussion. I think things will become clearer on a case-by-case basis.
mirisj

Unread post by mirisj »

matt wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:02 pm
mirisj wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:43 pm

@mirisj That wouldn't be Jeff Mirisola of the Tool Shed fame, would it? There goes the neighborhood! Hey, Jeff, it's been a while! Retired, huh? Damn good to hear from you again. Anyway, glad to see you here. Hope you enjoy it.
Retired from designing. During the before times, I spent a fair amount of time in the air going to meet with customers. Since Covid hit, my traveling has dropped drastically.

I'll try to behave myself. Promise.
Jeff Mirisola
"Retired" CSWE
Rabblerouser
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

MJuric wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:15 pm
matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:22 am but just remember that opinions are opinions, and you can disagree without belittling anyone.
At the same time it's a bit dangerous to claim a fact is an opinion just to allow everyone's "Opinion" to carry equal weight and not hurt anyone's feelings.
I thought this quote would be fitting (not sure where it originates from):
Your opinion although interesting is irrelevant.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Arthur McR

Unread post by Arthur McR »

I was seeing the search bots on here, and was thinking how funny it would be for someone to get an answer and miss the fact that since their answer was fomatted a grain of salt may be needed.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Arthur McR wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:40 am I was seeing the search bots on here, and was thinking how funny it would be for someone to get an answer and miss the fact that since their answer was fomatted a grain of salt may be needed.
Maybe the purple formatting for sarcasm will catch on and it will become an internet thing. I first started doing this in my blog a long time ago, because there was so much sarcasm, and it was tough to tell what was straight and what was tongue in cheek. The internet SHOULD adopt it. I'll call a meeting.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:20 pm Maybe the purple formatting for sarcasm will catch on and it will become an internet thing. I first started doing this in my blog a long time ago, because there was so much sarcasm, and it was tough to tell what was straight and what was tongue in cheek. The internet SHOULD adopt it. I'll call a meeting.
Not yet.
image.png
edit:
ahh, the power of CSS!
image.png
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:20 pm Maybe the purple formatting for sarcasm will catch on and it will become an internet thing. I first started doing this in my blog a long time ago, because there was so much sarcasm, and it was tough to tell what was straight and what was tongue in cheek. The internet SHOULD adopt it. I'll call a meeting.
...now I've got the one eyed "purple people eater" song in my head.
..maybe a simple <s> sign or upside-down emoji?
Attachments
upside-down-face_1f643.png
upside-down-face_1f643.png (4.48 KiB) Viewed 4647 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Make sure you invite Mr. Gore.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:32 pm Not yet.

image.png

edit:
ahh, the power of CSS!
image.png
Well, I'm glad to see there are sensible people out there in internet education land.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

DennisD wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm Make sure you invite Mr. Gore.
;; ;; ;;
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
VicFrauenfeld

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

DennisD wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:59 pm Make sure you invite Mr. Gore.
Hey, didn't he invent sarcasm? oa ;;
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
jcapriotti

VicFrauenfeld wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:03 pm Hey, didn't he invent sarcasm? oa ;;
I believe he is master of deadpan sarcasm.
Jason
Lapuo

Unread post by Lapuo »

matt wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:34 pm I smell a trap. But that's your opinion.

If someone says "SolidWorks sucks", that's an opinion, and I would say it's partially wrong, partially right. if they say "SolidWorks scan data tools suck because they are slow", that's a fact.

Ok, maybe we ignore facts. That's always popular. We just have opinions that are substantiated in a verifiable way or not.

I've really stepped in it now. This is a rabbit hole you can't climb out of once you start down it. Democracy is messy.

I'm not going to win this one. Let's just deal with it as it happens, and then we'll execute any members found to be in violation of my opinions. Now I see why most admins don't get involved and just mete out judgment from on high without reason or discussion. I think things will become clearer on a case-by-case basis.
Careful with mixing different opinion thing with facts!
We all have right to choose which smells (perfumes) we like, and we have different opinions. But if someone says smell of poop is nice , i am sorry but the fact is that poop stinks.
What i want to say is , although each person have a right to have opinion on something , we need to have some guidance , or norms(standards) (like we have in jobs which we are working :) ).
With that margines (boundaries) it is easier to have opinion which will "sharpen" (help) other people.
Glenn Schroeder

I thought it already was.