What's New in Solid Edge 2022

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
matt
Answers: 18

What's New in Solid Edge 2022

Unread post by matt »

There's some cool stuff, depending of course what kind of work you do. You need to check it out. That slippery feeling just might be someone pulling the rug out from under your feet.

My blog is going to have a 3 part series on this, starting with:
https://dezignstuff.com/whats-new-in-so ... -overview/

The official video is here:
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: What's New in Solid Edge 2022

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Cool stuff, especially the design configurator....is that part of the core or an add-on for $$?

I have feeling SolidWorks will add this but it will be in their cloud, kind of like xshape vs the sub-d in this video. We'll probably get X-configurator.
hhhh
Jason
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

SE reminds me of how we all feel about SW Corp not listening,.. it's that nightmare where you're screaming and nobody hears you.
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti

zxys001 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:50 am SE reminds me of how we all feel about SW Corp not listening,.. it's that nightmare where you're screaming and nobody hears you.
Yeah, this is making me hate SolidWorks more. All the cool toys are gonna go to their cloud disaste....err....solution.
Jason
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

Looks like we will have more reasons to change to SE every year lol

Does the Student Edition comes with most stuff?
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Lucas wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:22 pm Looks like we will have more reasons to change to SE every year lol

Does the Student Edition comes with most stuff?
Yes, I believe so. Although you cannot open Student Edition files in a Commercial Edition. https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... re/student The Community Edition might be a better option for learning or "checking out" the software. https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... /community The community edition may not be used for commercial purposes though.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Lucas
Answers: 2

Unread post by Lucas »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:01 am Yes, I believe so. Although you cannot open Student Edition files in a Commercial Edition. https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... re/student The Community Edition might be a better option for learning or "checking out" the software. https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... /community The community edition may not be used for commercial purposes though.
Thanks, will certainly check it UU
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

@matt, do you have a comprehensive What's New document? I haven't found one that's uploaded to Siemen's Support Center yet.

Edit: I found it just now. https://docs.sw.siemens.com/en-US/produ ... /xid667374
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mike miller

Wow. Just crazy.

Here's a few of my favorites. I did not mention many of Matt's favorites because he covered them thoroughly on his blog.

-Floating graphics windows on separate monitors.
-Updated file properties dialog with grouping, printing, and read/write controls.
-Assembly feature enhancements.
-Enhanced Assign Capture Fit. (mate references on the fly)
-Automatic base plane display when starting sketches. (this is Siemens eyeing ex-SWX users)
-Context toolbar for 2D sketching (again, eyeing ex-SWX users)
-Easier to identify extent options for ordered commands (eyeing the same crowd :lol: )
-Enhanced 3D sketch tools and relations.
-Undo and Redo supported while in FOA table.
-"Save Only Source and Active Member" command for FOA.
- GPU powered Generative Design!
- Internal components (virtual components). Playing catchup with SWX here, we'll see if SE's are more reliable.
- Match Coordinate Systems as a single relationship (catchup again).
-Open file from BOM (more catchup).
- FOA BOMs This is a big deal for us. https://docs.sw.siemens.com/en-US/produ ... xid1926173
-Synchronous Radiate command.

><
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
smh.inov8
Answers: 0

Unread post by smh.inov8 »

Here's a great comprehensive overview video from One PLM. Fairly long but worth the watch in my opinion:

matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:01 am @matt, do you have a comprehensive What's New document? I haven't found one that's uploaded to Siemen's Support Center yet.

Edit: I found it just now. https://docs.sw.siemens.com/en-US/produ ... /xid667374
I guess I can post this now. I got a PDF from the company ahead of time. There are a few things it doesn't include, like the Xcelerator Share, which I would love to demo, but I don't have access to it at this point. I think it would be a cool thing for this forum to use to share, markup, and 3D view 3D data, if the licensing is set up to allow that. Just floating an idea, since I know certain people who could make this happen do come here and read...
Attachments
whats_new_in_solid_edge_2022(1).pdf
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 139 times
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:18 am I guess I can post this now. I got a PDF from the company ahead of time. There are a few things it doesn't include, like the Xcelerator Share, which I would love to demo, but I don't have access to it at this point. I think it would be a cool thing for this forum to use to share, markup, and 3D view 3D data, if the licensing is set up to allow that. Just floating an idea, since I know certain people who could make this happen do come here and read...
hmm,... "Internal Components Modeling mode"
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti

zxys001 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:58 pm hmm,... "Internal Components Modeling mode"
I have mixed feelings on this one. It appears to be an internal multi body part, unlike SolidWorks which creates real part files that are embedded inside the assembly file. So the SE way is like SWX inserting a single internal part file, then create a mutli-body part (Weldment function) for the components within.

Not sure if I would like this or not, depends on functions available. Also I didn't see if you could save the body out as a part later.
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

zxys001 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:58 pm hmm,... "Internal Components Modeling mode"
Looks like "virtual parts" in sw.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:28 pm I have mixed feelings on this one. It appears to be an internal multi body part, unlike SolidWorks which creates real part files that are embedded inside the assembly file. So the SE way is like SWX inserting a single internal part file, then create a mutli-body part (Weldment function) for the components within.

Not sure if I would like this or not, depends on functions available. Also I didn't see if you could save the body out as a part later.
If that's accurate: <()>
mike miller

matt wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:18 am I guess I can post this now. I got a PDF from the company ahead of time. There are a few things it doesn't include, like the Xcelerator Share, which I would love to demo, but I don't have access to it at this point. I think it would be a cool thing for this forum to use to share, markup, and 3D view 3D data, if the licensing is set up to allow that. Just floating an idea, since I know certain people who could make this happen do come here and read...
IMHO Siemens is taking the correct route with regard to the cloud. The software is local but you can keep your license node-locked, server based, or on the cloud. Your files can be local (using SE data management) or in a PDM vault or on Teamcenter X (cloud PLM) or shared with Xcelerator Share.

The problem with Onshape, 3DX, and Fusion is: what happens if they go bankrupt or rogue? Or what if they decide to share your data with other customers based on subtle language in the EULA? (there is language to that effect for 3DSwym :shock: ). Or what if you want to migrate back to a "traditional" software? Do you get your data back?
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:28 pm ... inserting a single internal part file, then create a mutli-body part (Weldment function) for the components within.
SE handles weldments as an assembly, so I really doubt they are doing it this way.
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:28 pm I have mixed feelings on this one. It appears to be an internal multi body part, unlike SolidWorks which creates real part files that are embedded inside the assembly file. So the SE way is like SWX inserting a single internal part file, then create a mutli-body part (Weldment function) for the components within.

Jason, the SE Internal Components are individual parts within the assembly with a filename and work within the assembly just like regular components. They just don't write to disk and are instead stored within the assembly file, but if you want you can publish them (currently all or none) out to regular components stored on disk individually.
jcapriotti

@matt @KennyG I was just going by the presentation in the What's New, sounded like a multi body part. I'd like to see more though.
image.png
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 am @matt @KennyG I was just going by the presentation in the What's New, sounded like a multi body part. I'd like to see more though.

image.png
I think it means you can create multiple bodies in the internal part in the context of the assembly, not that the internal part is itself part of a multi body.
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:20 am @matt @KennyG I was just going by the presentation in the What's New, sounded like a multi body part. I'd like to see more though.

image.png
I'm reading through the What's New again, and it looks like how multibodies are accessed in the assembly has been addressed, particularly as relates to assembly features. I think this has to do with the assembly body/active body/active assembly body designations. Solid Edge multibody options are complex, although I'm not sure I understand why they are so complex.
jcapriotti

matt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:48 am I think it means you can create multiple bodies in the internal part in the context of the assembly, not that the internal part is itself part of a multi body.
Yeah after re-reading I wasn't quite sure. Looks like it could be similar to Solidworks then. Need to tinker with it.....is the 2022 community edition available yet?
Jason
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

@jcapriotti @matt
Matt is exactly right. Internal Component creation and modification works virtually identical to External Components (normal parts). So when you are editing an IC, you can create multiple design or construction bodies inside of it, but from the assembly context it works no differently than a normal part with the exception there is no external file link.
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:38 am Yeah after re-reading I wasn't quite sure. Looks like it could be similar to Solidworks then. Need to tinker with it.....is the 2022 community edition available yet?
Typically the commercial download and licensing is made available first with the others (student/community/etc...) available shortly after. Unfortunately the only way to see is to sign up again and see what download you get.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Is the Configurator included with all 2022 licenses or is this a separate add-on that you have to pay for? Is it released yet? I have not been able to find any documentation on it.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 am Is the Configurator included with all 2022 licenses or is this a separate add-on that you have to pay for? Is it released yet? I have not been able to find any documentation on it.
I didn't get any of that sort of information. There's a fact sheet available online that says it's part of the Xcelerator initiative, like the Share product. Dan S told me it isn't from Rule Stream or DriveWorks. It looks powerful. If I hear something, I'll keep this updated.

I have a temporary Premium license for doing some current (writing) projects. I think it's the first released version of 2022. I did get this message from using the command finder:
image.png
image.png
image.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
jcapriotti

matt wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 am I didn't get any of that sort of information. There's a fact sheet available online that says it's part of the Xcelerator initiative, like the Share product. Dan S told me it isn't from Rule Stream or DriveWorks. It looks powerful. If I hear something, I'll keep this updated.

I have a temporary Premium license for doing some current (writing) projects. I think it's the first released version of 2022. I did get this message from using the command finder:
image.png
image.png
Sadly not available in the Community Edition. I really wanted to give it a go :(
So the question stands, is it part of core or an additional license?
image.png
image.png (15.74 KiB) Viewed 4714 times
Jason
Jaylin Hochstetler

matt wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:49 am I didn't get any of that sort of information. There's a fact sheet available online that says it's part of the Xcelerator initiative, like the Share product. Dan S told me it isn't from Rule Stream or DriveWorks. It looks powerful. If I hear something, I'll keep this updated.

image.png
image.png
So it appears like it comes with at least the Premium license. @matt have you tried using it?
It is not listed on the comparison sheet so I'm thinking it comes with all licenses except maybe the Student and Community license. I found a little bit more info on it https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/soluti ... figurator/ I attached the comparison sheet and the design configurator fact sheet
Attachments
Siemens-SW-Solid-Edge-Design-Configurator-FS-84080-D3.pdf
(798.02 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Siemens-SW-Solid-Edge-3D-design-subscription-FL-40256-C34_tcm29-1997.pdf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
Jaylin Hochstetler

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:20 pm Sadly not available in the Community Edition. I really wanted to give it a go :(
So the question stands, is it part of core or an additional license?
image.png
You could always get a 30 day trial of Premium.

I was pleased when I came across this https://solidedge.siemens.com/en/free-software/startup/ this will work great for the family manufacturing business we are starting up.
Imics13
Answers: 0

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi,

I've found this interesting interview with Dan Staples about SE2022...

https://www.upfrontezine.com/2021/10/upf-1108.html
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

I've been going preparing a presentation for my companies users on what's new in 2022, and the amount of what is new or enhanced is just overwhelming. Can't wait to see what 2023 will bring!

One thing is for sure, SE Development is killing it!
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Impressive. I can see why Daimler and last year Hyundai changed to Siemens...
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

A very comprehensive "Solid Edge 2022 What's New" slide deck presentation on the Mechanical enhancements from One PLM...