Synchronous and surfacing.....

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
mike miller
Answers: 7

Synchronous and surfacing.....

Unread post by mike miller »

This post is simply putting some thoughts and ideas out into the ether to see if they float. Consider yourself warned.

All of us who use Synch realize that surfacing as it currently stands is pretty limited. The very nature of non-SubD surfacing requires a history tree in order to control complex geometry. Synch works great for prismatic parts but there is currently no way to tweak a loft, for example. The problem with subD is that precision is still pretty limited; basically "looks good". Effectively we now have a traditional-surfacing/ subD dichotomy, similar to the pre-ST3 dichotomy of Synch-Ordered.

My brilliant* idea is this: why not incorporate subD tools into Synch surfacing on demand? For example, you could create a loft in Synch, add a subD cage to that face, push and pull it to the desired shape, and remove the cage. Thoughts?

*can't mark a word as opinion and sarcasm at the same time. :)
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Synchronous and surfacing.....

Unread post by matt »

I think they did that. It's called NX. Rhino gives that kind of effect as well, I think. And maybe Tsplines. "Synchronous Surfacing" for SE was one of my requests soon after I made peace with synch.

You can put your sketches in synch and surface features in ordered, and that allows a kind of tug and pull.

But yeah, I know what you're saying.
Imics13
Answers: 0

Re: Synchronous and surfacing.....

Unread post by Imics13 »

Hi Guys,

I agree with you, it would be nice. To Matt's suggestion, I've made a video to mixed mode long time ago:

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com