What's the Best ERP System?

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

What's the Best ERP System?

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

I would like to gather some input from ya'll on what ERP/MRP system you currently use or have used and what your opinion is of it. Did/do you use one software for scheduling, managing inventory and accounting? or did/do you use separate softwares?

Here where I currently work we use an ERP system called EBMS https://info.eaglebusinesssoftware.com/. They are a fairly small company and we are one of their largest users so we have been able to get them to customize things for us which can be nice. It has a fair amount of features for the price, but I do not like the way it manages inventory (for instance it doesn't have a good way to handle backorders), the user interface is not very intuitive and it has some other nuances.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Re: What's the Best ERP System?

Unread post by MJuric »

I've used https://www.industrios.com/ and we are currently on https://www.globalshopsolutions.com/

Industrios seemed very primitive, like using a DOS interface in a command prompt window. Maybe they've recoded since the last time I used it, 2-3 years ago.

I have a love hate relationship with Global Shop. It *Appears* to be a ridiculously powerful, configurable system. This same feature makes it massive, difficult to configure, complex to learn and from what I understand EXPENSIVE. While on one hand being infinitely configurable on how you set up the company, permissions, settings etc etc it is rather unconfigurable in what seems like basic things. For instance until recently there was no way to create your own dashboards. You could alter to a limited degree what they created and was standard or nothing....or pay a bragillion dollars to have they do something custom.

It also seems that you run into "Really, WTF!?" things like I posted in another post here today on occasion with Global Shop and despite these issues being essentially issues with the software, if you want it changed you're going to pay for it.

Their support is mediocre as well. Response is sometimes very slow particularly for complex issues. It is also limited in the sense that if the problem is "Too big" they tell you "Well you're just going to have to hire us to help you with that issue".....and more money. In almost every case I've run into it's REALLY difficult to pin them down on "Well this is a software issue" because everything is so configurable that they always seem to come back with "Well it works if you, pull this lever, twist this knob, push this button, jump up and down three times and say "Candyman"....so it's not a software problem"....you know kind of like Solidworks.

to give you some idea of how configurable Global Shop is there are Two main set up categories "Standard" and "Advanced". "Standard" has 23 sub categories and "Advanced" has 18 sub categories. The smallest number of settings I've run into in any sub catagory so far is a short page of small pick boxes...so maybe 25-30 options. Many of those sub categories have PAGES of options, hundred plus option per subcategory.

TLDR; Global Shop is a versatile, expensive, complex to set up and implement tool....that is also powerful if you can actually set it up and implement it properly and effectively.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Thanks for the input @MJuric

I have been looking at
https://www.netsuite.com/portal/home.shtml
https://www.oracle.com/index.html
https://www.sap.com/index.html
Any of ya'll know anything about the software listed above?
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:37 pm Thanks for the input @MJuric

I have been looking at
https://www.netsuite.com/portal/home.shtml
https://www.oracle.com/index.html
https://www.sap.com/index.html
Any of ya'll know anything about the software listed above?
I'll check with a friend of mine if I can get a hold of him. If memory recalls he worked on the development team for the SAP Home Depot integration. Not sure if he would be able to offer and user insights or not but maybe he has some input for you.

I'll see what I can find out.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

We use Prextra, though it is relatively 'small' and I doubt it would fit your needs. They are very adaptive to our needs, which is why we deal with 'em!
Jaylin Hochstetler

MJuric wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:54 pm I'll check with a friend of mine if I can get a hold of him. If memory recalls he worked on the development team for the SAP Home Depot integration. Not sure if he would be able to offer and user insights or not but maybe he has some input for you.

I'll see what I can find out.
Thanks @MJuric! The more info, the better.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:19 pm Thanks @MJuric! The more info, the better.
I'll see if I can find something out.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:43 pm I would like to gather some input from ya'll on what ERP/MRP system you currently use or have used and what your opinion is of it. Did/do you use one software for scheduling, managing inventory and accounting? or did/do you use separate softwares?

Here where I currently work we use an ERP system called EBMS https://info.eaglebusinesssoftware.com/. They are a fairly small company and we are one of their largest users so we have been able to get them to customize things for us which can be nice. It has a fair amount of features for the price, but I do not like the way it manages inventory (for instance it doesn't have a good way to handle backorders), the user interface is not very intuitive and it has some other nuances.
Another I don't like about EBMS is they have no good way to forecast inventory, which in my mind is extremely essential for inventory management.
HDS
Answers: 0

Unread post by HDS »

I have never heard anyone say they like their ERP.

Netsuite seems to work better for smaller companies than SAP.

I have seen bad results from SAGE and Syteline but that could have just been very incompetent implementations.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I've never heard anyone say anything good about SAP, but I've heard multiple people go on long winded rants covering how miserable it is to use.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

SPerman wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:27 pm I've never heard anyone say anything good about SAP, but I've heard multiple people go on long winded rants covering how miserable it is to use.
Our company dropped our implementation 20 years ago after spending 30 mil on it, well, mostly consultants. It's come back up again so we'll see.
Jason
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

SPerman wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:27 pm I've never heard anyone say anything good about SAP, but I've heard multiple people go on long winded rants covering how miserable it is to use.
Oh, that's because it's implemented wrong...
the_h4mmer

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

@Jaylin Hochstetler

My organization uses Epicor. I keep my distance, but am forced every so often to use it (less so now since I run SQL queries in Excel to pull information I need) and It's manageable. I hear there's a lot of configurability but it was setup well before I started.

Recently I've been working with finance to sort out some of the weird practices that were done in engineering before my time because apparently the engineers before me didn't know how to say 'no' and just started doing whatever someone suggested without considering what it meant. The language Epicor uses for certain things doesn't quite synchronize well with design work. When someone talks about a "subassembly" in Epicor, it doesn't carry the exact same meaning as it does in design work. Also, when they talk about part 'type' there's only two (hard-coded) categories "Purchased" and "Manufactured" which could never be subjectively mislabeled.

I'm actually in the process of trying to figure out how to automate the input of data from PDM into Epicor so I don't have to look at it ever. They have a data import utility that comes with the system, but I think it's all manual (might be a good interim step). I'll say everyone else at my organization uses Epicor regularly with minor complaints, but we're a medium sized company, so I don't know how much it's relied on or how well it's configured. Hopefully that's at all helpful (even tho it wasn't one of the listed ERP systems).

Also, I'm curious if anyone has tried Delmia, the DS acquired ERP system?
Jaylin Hochstetler

the_h4mmer wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:50 am @Jaylin Hochstetler

My organization uses Epicor. I keep my distance, but am forced every so often to use it (less so now since I run SQL queries in Excel to pull information I need) and It's manageable. I hear there's a lot of configurability but it was setup well before I started.
We started doing that with our ERP system via Excel or Power BI and it works quite well. Part of our problem with our ERP system is it was never setup properly and there is a bunch of old legacy data in it that doesn't need to be there.
the_h4mmer

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:11 am Part of our problem with our ERP system is it was never setup properly and there is a bunch of old legacy data in it that doesn't need to be there.
Sounds very familiar
hhhh
deepalidaiya

Unread post by deepalidaiya »

As described above, an ideal ERP software is one that contains a single repository where data is controlled through multiple modules. Following are the various modules that facilitate the flow of information:

1. Manufacturing Module: This module contains functions such as workflow management, bills of material, engineering, capacity, manufacturing process, quality control, etc.

2. Human Resources Module: This module contains functions such as time and attendance, training, benefits, payroll, mandatory compliance, etc.

3. Supply Chain Management Module: This module contains functions such as inventory, supply chain planning, supplier scheduling, claim processing, order entry, purchasing, etc.

4. Financial Module: This module contains functions such as fixed assets, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, general ledger, etc.
5. Project Module: This module contains functions such as Time and expense, costing, activity management, billing, etc.

6. Data Warehouse Module: This module helps different stakeholders — the organization’s customers, suppliers, and employees — to communicate with each other and to access business-critical information.

7. Customer Relationship Management Module: This module contains functions such as sales and commissions, marketing, calls center support, service, customer contact, etc.

Source:-https://www.sagesoftware.co.in/erp/what-is-erp/
AlexLachance

deepalidaiya wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:50 am As described above, an ideal ERP software is one that contains a single repository where data is controlled through multiple modules. Following are the various modules that facilitate the flow of information:

1. Manufacturing Module: This module contains functions such as workflow management, bills of material, engineering, capacity, manufacturing process, quality control, etc.

2. Human Resources Module: This module contains functions such as time and attendance, training, benefits, payroll, mandatory compliance, etc.

3. Supply Chain Management Module: This module contains functions such as inventory, supply chain planning, supplier scheduling, claim processing, order entry, purchasing, etc.

4. Financial Module: This module contains functions such as fixed assets, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, general ledger, etc.
5. Project Module: This module contains functions such as Time and expense, costing, activity management, billing, etc.

6. Data Warehouse Module: This module helps different stakeholders — the organization’s customers, suppliers, and employees — to communicate with each other and to access business-critical information.

7. Customer Relationship Management Module: This module contains functions such as sales and commissions, marketing, calls center support, service, customer contact, etc.

Source:-https://www.sagesoftware.co.in/erp/what-is-erp/
I'm guessing this is the only post you'll be making concidering the username you have..?
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Most ERP use some form of database. Unless they're web based.
They'll have a DB connection in Windows which you can connect tot with any program langrage.
I've written macro in IV to pull info into properties.
Deepak Dubey

Unread post by Deepak Dubey »

The best ERP system differs on factors like specific requirements of the industry needs, company size, budget, and implementation abilities. Several reputable ERP systems are available in the market.

Let's have a look at some vastly used ERP systems:
  • SAP ERP:
SAP ERP is one of the largest and most established ERP providers. Their ERP system offers a complete suite of modules that cater to different industries and business processes.
  • Oracle ERP Cloud:
It provides a cloud-based ERP solution, that integrates different business functions such as retail, manufacturing, FMCG, and automotive.
  • Microsoft Dynamics 365:
Microsoft Dynamics 365 is a cloud-based ERP system suitable for small to medium-sized businesses.
  • NetSuite ERP:
NetSuite, a cloud-based ERP system developed by Oracle, provides end-to-end business management solutions. NetSuite ERP is popular among mid-sized organizations and subsidiaries of larger enterprises.
AlexLachance

Deepak Dubey wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:20 am The best ERP system differs on factors like specific requirements of the industry needs, company size, budget, and implementation abilities. Several reputable ERP systems are available in the market.

Let's have a look at some vastly used ERP systems:
  • SAP ERP:
SAP ERP is one of the largest and most established ERP providers. Their ERP system offers a complete suite of modules that cater to different industries and business processes.
  • Oracle ERP Cloud:
It provides a cloud-based ERP solution, that integrates different business functions such as retail, manufacturing, FMCG, and automotive.
  • Microsoft Dynamics 365:
Microsoft Dynamics 365 is a cloud-based ERP system suitable for small to medium-sized businesses.
  • NetSuite ERP:
NetSuite, a cloud-based ERP system developed by Oracle, provides end-to-end business management solutions. NetSuite ERP is popular among mid-sized organizations and subsidiaries of larger enterprises.
Thanks ChatGPT.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:23 am Thanks ChatGPT.
Holy Sh!t, good catch.

You know the best ERP is the one you don't have to use.
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Best ERP is the one in the demo. Same as CAD, PDM, PLM, Big Mac...
image.png
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:05 pm Holy Sh!t, good catch.

You know the best ERP is the one you don't have to use.
I just caught another one trying to post links. I try to catch this stuff, but their bot is better than my bot, apparently. I've got to go through posts manually to make sure they make sense.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:08 pm ... I've got to go through posts manually to make sure they make sense.
Well there goes half of my posts...
XHawkeye

Unread post by XHawkeye »

I'm using to cool for school Manbase. Did a search and the last mention of I could find was Feb '93 BTYE magazine.
Unix-based enterprise resource planning system for process manufacturers, ManBase 7 .0 combines a client/server architecture, a relational database management system, and fourth-generation-language tool sets...

Price: $60,000 and up, depending on configuration, number of modules, and number of users. Contact: MAI Systems Corp., Novi, Ml

Keyboard warriors only :D
Capture205.JPG
EdwardLors

Unread post by EdwardLors »

At my previous job, we used a similar system and faced similar frustrations. It's like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole sometimes! Have you checked out https://www.crispysoftwaresolutions.com/post/what-are-the-differences-between-erp-and-crm-software? They offer some great insights on the differences between ERP and CRM software that might shed some light on your situation. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can lead to new solutions.
Jaylin Hochstetler

I've recently been poking around with Odoo, https://www.odoo.com/. Anyone on here have any experience with it?