What are some different ways to bring outside information into SW properties

Programming and macros
ResidentAtLarge
Answers: 0

What are some different ways to bring outside information into SW properties

Unread post by ResidentAtLarge »

I am curious on different ways of being able to bring information into Solidworks properties of parts or assemblies.

For example, the one way I have been doing this is by creating a macro that opens an excel document and copying the contents of a cell to a specific custom property. I was curious on what other options would be out there.
Austin Schukar
Answers: 1

Re: What are some different ways to bring outside information into SW properties

Unread post by Austin Schukar »

My favorite trick is to directly edit custom properties from Excel with user-defined functions, without having to open SW at all (via Document Manager API).

https://www.codestack.net/solidworks-do ... nager-api/
https://www.codestack.net/solidworks-do ... functions/

The process to get the Doc Manager API key isn't really a pain, but it's an extra step. Just takes a couple of days to get it from Dassault.
Austin
ResidentAtLarge

Re: What are some different ways to bring outside information into SW properties

Austin Schukar wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:10 am My favorite trick is to directly edit custom properties from Excel with user-defined functions, without having to open SW at all (via Document Manager API).

The process to get the Doc Manager API key isn't really a pain, but it's an extra step. Just takes a couple of days to get it from Dassault.
I did not know something like this existed! I will have to look into this.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

ResidentAtLarge wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:37 am I am curious on different ways of being able to bring information into Solidworks properties of parts or assemblies.

For example, the one way I have been doing this is by creating a macro that opens an excel document and copying the contents of a cell to a specific custom property. I was curious on what other options would be out there.
Another way to manually enter properties in SW is to use the Property Tab.
image.png
You can set up the entry fields and radio buttons however you want via the Property Tab Builder. It is verily self-explanatory to set it up.
2021-10-28 17_22_48-SOLIDWORKS Premium 2021 SP4.1 - [Tandem Fender Bracket].jpg
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
bentlybobcat

Unread post by bentlybobcat »

Austin Schukar wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:10 am My favorite trick is to directly edit custom properties from Excel with user-defined functions, without having to open SW at all (via Document Manager API).

I'm working on a means to do that via Python and am struggling a bit with document manager variable declarations.

I've got python to load the library, but can't figure out how to use it to define the variables needed to call the various functions in the library.

I'll get there.....
Bent
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I use CustomTools, which is able to communicate with our ERP both ways, grab required information or send required information. It's a set-up to do though.
ResidentAtLarge

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:40 pm I use CustomTools, which is able to communicate with our ERP both ways, grab required information or send required information. It's a set-up to do though.
My company has started to use CADLink, which communicates with our ERP system and adds the BOM and routings. But, I am struggling with being able to get the routings to be correct. CADLink is great if you have a lot of parts that you put in inventory. However, my company manufactures everything once and never stocks many items if at all. Trying to find other way to bring data into solidworks with an excel data sheet or XML.

@AlexLachance can you elaborate a little bit more on how CUSTOMTOOLS works for you and the tasks you use it for? I'm quite interested.
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

ResidentAtLarge wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:46 am My company has started to use CADLink, which communicates with our ERP system and adds the BOM and routings. But, I am struggling with being able to get the routings to be correct. CADLink is great if you have a lot of parts that you put in inventory. However, my company manufactures everything once and never stocks many items if at all. Trying to find other way to bring data into solidworks with an excel data sheet or XML.

@AlexLachance can you elaborate a little bit more on how CUSTOMTOOLS works for you and the tasks you use it for? I'm quite interested.
We also use what I'll call a LITE version of CADLink to initially create part numbers in our ERP system from within SW. Due to the convoluted nature of our ERP system, this turns a 6+minute process into about 15 seconds for initial part creation. We didn't spring for the BOM and Routing features since we couldn't get buy-in from all parties. The demo looked great, though.
ResidentAtLarge

AlexB wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:31 am We also use what I'll call a LITE version of CADLink to initially create part numbers in our ERP system from within SW. Due to the convoluted nature of our ERP system, this turns a 6+minute process into about 15 seconds for initial part creation. We didn't spring for the BOM and Routing features since we couldn't get buy-in from all parties. The demo looked great, though.
Our process involves using about 100-150 parts for the larger orders. Having to manually route EVERYTHING is just a time consuming process that can take a day or 2 just to finish sometimes. But there is some time that it takes to learn how CADLink works with the custom logic set up. I can definitely see the time savings of it though. I could probably save half a day of work or more once I get this up and running. I'm not one who specializes in coding so its taking a bit longer to setup than it normally would. If someone were to take on this project from scratch, I would recommend someone with coding skills of C# or VB or someone in your I.T. department will be required.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

ResidentAtLarge wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:46 am My company has started to use CADLink, which communicates with our ERP system and adds the BOM and routings. But, I am struggling with being able to get the routings to be correct. CADLink is great if you have a lot of parts that you put in inventory. However, my company manufactures everything once and never stocks many items if at all. Trying to find other way to bring data into solidworks with an excel data sheet or XML.

CustomTools communicates with our ERP to bring certain information inside SolidWorks, such as description and item number.
CustomTooms generates all our custom properties and makes it all easily configurable from an interface.

Here's 2 screenshots to show you a bit of the interface we use, I'm sorry if it's all in french, but I'm sure you'll get the jist of it. The first screenshot is the top section of the interface, which is where we define part numbers, if they are standard or project parts, and decide which action to do(Save as, save as copy, replace, rename, rename and move are all actions we can do)
image.png
The second image is the lower part of the interface, it is the one where we enter all the properties for our parts, such as item number description, AutoCAD number(was used when we transfered from 2D to 3D), draftsman, date, operation type (these operations all have links in our ERP. For instance, an assembly creates a BOM with the correct operations for an assembly. If it was a part and the operation was Plasma, then it would have the required operations to produce the part from the Plasma(Am I being clear?). We also define if it requires a bend, specific galvanisation process and other things such as if the part is made externally.

The descriptions are all linked to an external file which I can keep up to date so that people can have like a "dictionnary" and ensure themselves of not making typos. The item number communicates with our ERP, so if I'm searching for an item number in the ERP, I can grab that item number and link it's description with the ERP, so that if the description changes in the ERP it will update itself on our file.
image.png
With all of this, we generate a BOM that regroups all the properties we require to send to our ERP, and then take that information process it into an excel file of some sort and export it to our ERP so that our ERP can then grab each property for individual files and assign them correctly.
Jaylin Hochstetler

AlexB wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:31 am We also use what I'll call a LITE version of CADLink to initially create part numbers in our ERP system from within SW. Due to the convoluted nature of our ERP system, this turns a 6+minute process into about 15 seconds for initial part creation. We didn't spring for the BOM and Routing features since we couldn't get buy-in from all parties. The demo looked great, though.
What ERP software are you using?
That sounds like the ERP software we are using, which is EBMS.
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:51 pm What ERP software are you using?
That sounds like the ERP software we are using, which is EBMS.
Sadly, there are too many old systems out there that aren't user friendly. We're using Infor XA.
Austin Schukar
Answers: 1

Unread post by Austin Schukar »

bentlybobcat wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:59 pm I'm working on a means to do that via Python and am struggling a bit with document manager variable declarations.

I've got python to load the library, but can't figure out how to use it to define the variables needed to call the various functions in the library.

I'll get there.....
I've never implemented SW API via Python...sounds like you have your hands full!!!
Austin
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:24 pm Another way to manually enter properties in SW is to use the Property Tab.
image.png
You can set up the entry fields and radio buttons however you want via the Property Tab Builder. It is verily self-explanatory to set it up.
2021-10-28 17_22_48-SOLIDWORKS Premium 2021 SP4.1 - [Tandem Fender Bracket].jpg
My favorite part is to add list-items to the property tab builder that you can choose from & then select multiple parts & select the appropriate list item. It always feels very satisfying to do this.
Jaylin Hochstetler

berg_lauritz wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:59 pm My favorite part is to add list-items to the property tab builder that you can choose from & then select multiple parts & select the appropriate list item. It always feels very satisfying to do this.
I never thought about selecting multiple parts! That's pretty awesome!
Thanks.