Free rotate a part in an assembly

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
matt
Answers: 18

Free rotate a part in an assembly

Unread post by matt »

Say you want to pre-assemble a part. Kind of pre-position it so it fits the right way. Is there a way other than steering wheel to do that? Can you drag the rmb or shift-alt-drag the mmb. You can position a part in the Parts Library preview window. Just something I can't find. Thanks to anyone who has the answer!
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Re: Free rotate a part in an assembly

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

matt wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:28 pm Say you want to pre-assemble a part. Kind of pre-position it so it fits the right way. Is there a way other than steering wheel to do that? Can you drag the rmb or shift-alt-drag the mmb. You can position a part in the Parts Library preview window. Just something I can't find. Thanks to anyone who has the answer!
You could use the Drag Component. Attached is a video I made using "Drag Component" and the steering wheel.
Attachments
SE Move Component in Assy.wmv
(7.16 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:38 am You could use the Drag Component. Attached is a video I made using "Drag Component" and the steering wheel.
So SE doesn't have an equivalent? You can rotate the part in the preview window, but not in the actual assembly?
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:46 am So SE doesn't have an equivalent? You can rotate the part in the preview window, but not in the actual assembly?
Yes, I know it does as a hotkey under Drag Component. I'm trying hard to think of it right now....maybe @TusharSuradkar or @Imics13 would know offhand.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

Well, it's kind of tricky, but you can set up the 3D Connexion driver to rotate individual parts in the assembly. Kind of a drag if you don't have that. Maybe SE users get used to not having something quick and easy for positioning parts that are already in the assembly.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

matt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:44 am Well, it's kind of tricky, but you can set up the 3D Connexion driver to rotate individual parts in the assembly. Kind of a drag if you don't have that. Maybe SE users get used to not having something quick and easy for positioning parts that are already in the assembly.
I agree, I like that feature in SW.

But what I like about the Drag Component is the ability to rotate on an axis, for instance see the video attached.
Attachments
SE Move Tube in Assy.wmv
(4.61 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Imics13
Answers: 0

Unread post by Imics13 »

matt wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:28 pm Say you want to pre-assemble a part. Kind of pre-position it so it fits the right way. Is there a way other than steering wheel to do that? Can you drag the rmb or shift-alt-drag the mmb. You can position a part in the Parts Library preview window. Just something I can't find. Thanks to anyone who has the answer!
Hi Guys,

Sorry for late answer, but I'm here. Yes you can do it but you have to use assemble command with Flash fit relationship.

Here is a short video:

I tried to give another answer for using live preview instead of static picture. It helps to "preorientate" the model.

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com