Edge Flange error "Endpoints the profile must be connected"

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Edge Flange error "Endpoints the profile must be connected"

Unread post by jcapriotti »

The other SolidWorks flange discussion prompted me to try this in Solid Edge. However when creating the custom profile for the edge flange, I get this error and I can't get it to work. Issues seems to be the vertical line on the right. I deleted the "Connect" relation to the end of the edge to create the offset, then manually added it back to the edge.

Channeling SE gurus: @bnemec @mike miller @matt
image.png
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Edge Flange error "Endpoints the profile must be connected"

Unread post by bnemec »

Yep, I can do that too. You must zoom in, there are two lines. It's not so bad when you're at home in the minefield you know.
It is a nuisance until it becomes muscle memory. I don't recall any collateral damage from this though.
image.png
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:09 pm Yep, I can do that too. You must zoom in, there are two lines. It's not so bad when you're at home in the minefield you know.
It is a nuisance until it becomes muscle memory. I don't recall any collateral damage from this though.

image.png
Lol....that a strange one, what is that second hidden line?

I know the feeling though. Some of SWX quirks are muscle memory now as well. A few I still do even though they've fixed the original problem.
Jason
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Honestly, I don't use Ordered sheet metal except for detailing. I'm not much help. :)

Synch was really scary for a long time. I'm finally to the point where I understand how the different control groups work with each other (there are at least six, depending on how you count). You need to view your whole part file as one big 3D sketch. The control groups let you tell the software how to modify geometry; and how not to.

Here's a breakdown of control groups:

Pre-edit controls:
-PMI
-Face Relationships

During edit:
-selection set
-Design Intent panel
-context toolbar at the top of the graphics window (this one is greatly underestimated)
-steering wheel manipulation

I'm now convinced that history-free modeling (not just in SE but also Creo, Fusion, and NX) is the greatest thing in CAD since NURBS.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
jcapriotti

mike miller wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:39 pm
I'm now convinced that history-free modeling (not just in SE but also Creo, Fusion, and NX) is the greatest thing in CAD since NURBS.
I need more time with it before I could let go of history modeling. We do a lot of sheet metal, and much of it is configurable. Wall panels have variable height and width, and holes are turned on or off and also have variable locations depending on parameters fed to the model. There are about 30 models dimensions and features driven by this. Does history free work in that case?
Jason
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

jcapriotti wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:03 am There are about 30 models dimensions and features driven by this. Does history free work in that case?
Jason, Sync still has parametrics that can be driven and features can be "detached" vs. suppressed. See what you can do with the Synchronous Family of Parts. Where you run into trouble is when parametric changes force a feature to fall off of a part... the feature is just gone like it never existed.

Not sure why Siemens never though to just detach those surfaces forced off of a part so that they can come back.