Solid Edge Community Edition

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Solid Edge Community Edition

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Is the Solid Edge community edition the full software, except files can't be opened in the commercial edition? All this talk of ST has me intrigued, the sheet metal stuff at least looks cool. Just wondering what the limits of the community edition is.
Jason
uk_dave
Answers: 1

Re: Solid Edge Community Edition

Unread post by uk_dave »

Yes, Community Edition is fully functional software.

As you point out, the files will *NOT* open in the commercial version.

You can sign up for and download the Community Edition, including free training resources here:

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... /community
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Thanks, just wanted to make sure it was fully functional. Always interested in learn a new CAD tool and I haven't used SE since we evaluated it against SWX and MDT back around '98.
Jason
Ry-guy

Unread post by Ry-guy »

uk_dave wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:06 pm Yes, Community Edition is fully functional software.

As you point out, the files will *NOT* open in the commercial version.

You can sign up for and download the Community Edition, including free training resources here:

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/ ... /community
Dave can you verify that you CANNOT export any geometry as well!? As I recall this is locked down really well.
Imics13
Answers: 0

Unread post by Imics13 »

Ry-guy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:13 pm Dave can you verify that you CANNOT export any geometry as well!? As I recall this is locked down really well.
Hi,

No, you CAN export any well know file format, like step, iges, sat, parasolid, dwg, dxf and so on. There is no export limitation. ;) This is not Fusion 360... ;)

BR,
BR,
Imics - SolidEdgeST.wordpress.com
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

A new night is born!
I was wondering too. I was always looking for alternatives to SW.
Is this online (like onshape) or is it a downloaded program?

I really like SE's dominance (success) over step files!

@matt
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:07 am A new night is born!
I was wondering too. I was always looking for alternatives to SW.
Is this online (like onshape) or is it a downloaded program?

I really like SE's dominance (success) over step files!

@matt
It's a downloaded program just like SWX. However, the typical payment plan is subscription based (no upfront cost, only monthly "rent"). That said, they do have a perpetual license option that is like SWX's business model.

The real power of SE is Synchronous Technology which allows you to directly edit a 3D model without using any sketches or history tree. Changes are controlled by a set of rules that you specify such as face relationships, PMI dimensions (basically 3D sketch dimensions), and the design intent panel which determines what will change when you drag a face, for example. Sketches are only used to create a feature; afterwards they are relegated to the dustbin and no longer used. Rebuild is a foreign concept to synch mode. NOTHING CHANGES until you tell it to.

In addition, Solid Edge has a lot of little features that SWX users never even know they needed, like BOM management.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Ömür Tokman

mike miller wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:10 am It's a downloaded program just like SWX. However, the typical payment plan is subscription based (no upfront cost, only monthly "rent"). That said, they do have a perpetual license option that is like SWX's business model.

The real power of SE is Synchronous Technology which allows you to directly edit a 3D model without using any sketches or history tree. Changes are controlled by a set of rules that you specify such as face relationships, PMI dimensions (basically 3D sketch dimensions), and the design intent panel which determines what will change when you drag a face, for example. Sketches are only used to create a feature; afterwards they are relegated to the dustbin and no longer used. Rebuild is a foreign concept to synch mode. NOTHING CHANGES until you tell it to.

In addition, Solid Edge has a lot of little features that SWX users never even know they needed, like BOM management.
Hey Mike thank you very much for the reply.
I don't think my company will want to switch to a new program, but I would very much like it for myself. As far as I understand, SE is the right choice after SW. I can suspend Onshape for a while.
I love this feature you mentioned.
Ömür Tokman

In addition, do I need to install this downloaded free program on my personal pc? because in order to learn, I need to practice. So I think it would be a problem to install it on the pc at work.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

mike miller wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:10 am

The real power of SE is Synchronous Technology ....
Screw synchronous technology. I would be happy with software that doesn't crash / hang / "is busy" all of the time.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:38 am Screw synchronous technology. I would be happy with software that doesn't crash / hang / "is busy" all of the time.
That's a side note with SE. ;;

I've never frozen it and only crashed it once because I was stoopid (like usual). :oops:

[waffle mode] IMO part of the reason SE is more stable is because it makes fewer assumptions. For example, angle mates take twice as many clicks as SWX but there is no flipping! On the other hand, many features require less redundant clicking and confirming than SWX.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39