Forum Style

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
user123
Answers: 0

Forum Style

Unread post by user123 »

Great to see a new forum, I really hope it takes off and can be a hub for all CAD. My only suggestion would be that the forum interface itself seems quite clunky/old-fashioned. I think there's better style free forum software or even something like https://www.discourse.org/ which is pretty popular these days.

The code I had to enter on sign up was a pain, I found it harder to read than normal ones, and when it didn't like what I put and resetting it didn't work, I had to refresh the page. You may also want to look at confirming people's email addresses to prevent someone from creating a lot of bogus accounts.

I appreciate you want to carve your own way, and I know you have a substantial following but you may want to be aware of 3dcadforums which in my opinion looks a lot nicer, works great, and has a lot of legacy tips for software that perhaps is not your niche.
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Forum Style

Unread post by matt »

I've mentioned this a few times, but I'll go again. I just started this. Haven't had time to really tweak it, but I'm getting there. I know there are some lacking features, but over a hopefully brief time, I'll get most of it running.

I agree the capcha thing is annoying. I had trouble with the first one I saw too. It's on the list of things to change/fix. [update: I've changed this to a simpler capcha]
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

We can use Wild West Style :p
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

user123 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 am . . . The code I had to enter on sign up was a pain, I found it harder to read than normal ones, and when it didn't like what I put and resetting it didn't work, I had to refresh the page. You may also want to look at confirming people's email addresses to prevent someone from creating a lot of bogus accounts.

I appreciate you want to carve your own way, and I know you have a substantial following but you may want to be aware of 3dcadforums which in my opinion looks a lot nicer, works great, and has a lot of legacy tips for software that perhaps is not your niche.
I'll second that. It took me 3 tries to get it right. I've never seen one of those that was so difficult to read. For me it obviously won't matter, since I hope I never have to do it again, but it might be discouraging for prospective new members.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt

Unread post by matt »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:55 pm I'll second that. It took me 3 tries to get it right. I've never seen one of those that was so difficult to read. For me it obviously won't matter, since I hope I never have to do it again, but it might be discouraging for prospective new members.
Thanks for the input. I've changed this to a simpler one. What we had originally was the default, which I couldn't get the first time either. Hopefully any future registrations get the easy one, but not so easy that bots can get through.

Thanks for the input!
matt

Unread post by matt »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:14 pm We can use Wild West Style :p
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

"carbon", the backgroud is great, but is missing some color (url, new post, etc...)

i'm trying "Flat style gold"

...and it match with the boots LOL