Thoughts on Creo

Talk about PTC, Pro/E and Creo
KQuigley
Answers: 0

Thoughts on Creo

Unread post by KQuigley »

OK, straight up I’ll say we dropped our Creo subscription from April this year. This is not a reflection on the software, just the harsh reality of 2021 business overheads. For us Creo was always a nice extra tool to have for a couple of customers who used it, but the reality was they didn’t need us to use it, and when we did we had to supply Creo 5 files as that is what their corporate system used. I’ll also say we are not expert all round users of Creo. We used it only for modelling. Primarily complex surfaced parts. Comments below are us comparing it to Solidworks.

First off, Creo 7 and above are the only versions of Creo any User of other systems should even consider. With version 7 PTC introduced multi body modelling in parts. It totally changes the way you work in Creo, so it is much more Solidworks like. Also, if you do any kind of high level surfacing you need Style (as was ISDX). Core Creo has Freestyle, the sub d toolset and more basic standard surfacing tools.

What Creo does well.

Rock solid stability. As a Solidworks user this was almost shockingly good. We used Creo for 3 years, and we had maybe 10 crashes. Ok we use Solidworks a lot more, and probably challenged the software more, but still, I’d expect 2 or 3 Solidworks crashes a week. These are on dual processor Dell Precision 5900 series workstations btw running latest Windows 10.

Sub D surfacing and Style surfacing. PTC never really push this but honestly, when I saw the reseller model our benchmark bathtub in Freestyle and Style I was blown away (compared to the workflow in Rhino/TSplines and Solidworks). I literally signed the order on the spot. Of course demos by an expert rarely translate to reality, and there were issues with the workflow in Creo 4/5/6, but these were resolved in 7/8. Having said that I don’t think Creo’s non Style surfacing tools are as good as Solidworks core toolset. Also Style is a costly add on. It more or less doubles the subscription costs. But if you do any high level surfacing you need it. Doing realtime adjustments, not having to wait for rebuilds, is mind blowing for most Solidworks users.

On the subject of rebuilds. Creo is soooo much faster than Solidworks. So rebuilds are literally instantaneous, the more complex trees take maybe 1 or 2 seconds. Again this could be related to the type of work but even on similar tasks (surfacy 150 features parts) it has to be 10X faster.

Robust modelling. You know that thing when your tree goes red and the model falls apart in Solidworks? That still happens in Creo, but not to the same extent.

What Creo doesn’t do well:

Assembly modelling and in context parts. Shock horror the Creo folks will say no way! It built its reputation on this! Yes it is, and it is epic....if you have the Advanced Assembly Extension. Most corporate environments do have this, but our package didn’t and AAX is VERY expensive to add it on. Without it, in context modelling (top down) needs planning. Yes it can be done, and yes 7/8 make it much easier, but it is still more challenging than in other systems.

Drafting. We tried drafting a couple of times. Then we exported the data from Creo to Solidworks to do the drafting there. Enough said!

Applying colours to faces and splitting surfaces. Essentially, you can’t do it. There are some workarounds and if you have the Mold and Die Extension that lets you do it, but otherwise, this is a showstopper. For us, this was the biggest point of annoyance using Creo.

Contentious one. File export. I was so used to file export just working via Parasolid between Parasolid apps that coming across errors generated more that a few sweary sessions in the office. Features like Freestyle don’t always play well with STEP. It works 99% of the time bit that 1% sure is annoying.

In summary, Creo is a great platform. Very different from Solidworks, harder to learn in some respects. If you get the extras it will surpass anything Solidworks can achieve.

If you are a die hard Solidworks user and want to stay that way, I suggest getting yourself the brilliant low cost xnurbs add on. This has transformed our surfacing in Solidworks. Is actually quite similar to Style in Creo (without the live feedback) but results are right up there. Power Surfacing for SolidWorks will give you what Freestyle offers in Creo. Works in the same way, creates a feature in the tree. PowerSurfacing is now pretty good. I’d say, ultimately, not as good as Freestyle but if you stay in Solidworks it is your only native option (and that includes 3DSculptor....which isn’t native feature level...it’s more of the streamlined import export function).

If I was a startup would I get Creo over Solidworks? Impossible to answer that as it depends entirely on what the products are and on the skill level if your employees. In truth, as a startup I’d start with Fusion 360 then add to that if I needed it. For price of a few seats of Creo or SolidWorks you could get a few seats of Fusion, and a decent 3D printer and Desktop CNC. Which, for agile hardware development and extending funding runways, will bring significantly more value in my opinion.
zwei
Answers: 18

Re: Thoughts on Creo

Unread post by zwei »

Thought that i will chime in on this too...

TLDR:
My experience in CREO can be summarized using this quote from PTC forum:
" if you want to get that done you need to stick your elbow in your ear and place your knee behind your back and then do these mouse clicks etc etc" and hope it works; and it might not work this way if you are using windchill etc etc"
Generally
1. Workflow... Oh god, the number of mouse click i need...
2. One of your hand will need to be on the keyboard all time. Want to measure distance between edge? Make sure you hold CTRL
3. Bad UI.... Whose idea is it to have the message/instruction of feature to display at the bottom left of the screen?
4. Roll to END? For some reason, you can never roll the feature tree to the end in one go. You will need to roll to second last of your feature and drag it to the end, manually, everytime.
5. Feature and license.... The feature you have depend on your license, so if you subscribe to standard license, you cant use the full set of tool.... Not to mention CREO wont even tell u automatically what feature your license is not supported... The button still appear as it is without greyout.
6. Construction line... Do i also mention the construction line is super thin and hard to see? Not to mention there is no way to thicken it
7. Isolate? Want to isolate a part before CREO 5? Do a mapkey yourself

CREO DRAWING
Oh god... I dont even know how to start with CREO drawing...
1. Flag note, there is no built in flag note, you want a triangular flag note? Built the symbol yourself?
2. Indentation in note? Guess what, CREO cant support that, you have to manually SPACE yourself. Did i mention tab also dont work?
3. BOM/Table/Repeat Region. 1 BOM can only work on 1 rep. So if you are trying to do some assembly instruction with balloon callout using different rep, good luck.
3. Section view label. You want the section view label to be in alphabetical order in detail view? Adjust it manually

CREO and Windchill (PDM)
1. Family table and Windchill? It is a mess, whenever someone accidentally delete a row, things are screwed up.

CREO Support/Help
1. WHY do i need to login to view the resolution for a problem
2. CREO help page is like a full page of text...(eg: http://support.ptc.com/help/creo/creo_d ... ation.html)

CREO Learning Curve
"You can switch from SOLIDWORKS to CREO in 1 day, without proper training"
I had never been this wrong.

Fun fact:
Try to search for some simple function that is available in SOLIDWORKS but cant find in CREO?
Not part of Creo Parametric XX functionality will be your answer most of the time.

My advise if you are switching or getting CREO:
Request for a proper training. With no training and no mentors (or at least a hack like me), I don't see a good path to success on Creo. It's way too Unintuitive to just pick up and run with.
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

This is what @HerrTick had to say.... :lol:
2021-02-23 10_32_30.jpg
Edit: Here's a link: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/243810
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 am This is what @HerrTick had to say.... :lol:
2021-02-23 10_32_30.jpg
This!

I was trying to look for this exact image in the Solidworks forum but cant find it hahaha :lol:
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 am This is what @HerrTick had to say.... :lol:
Windchill is the same. PTC's motto seems to be Products That Confuse
Jason