So how much knowledge will be lost...

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
MJuric
Answers: 1

So how much knowledge will be lost...

Unread post by MJuric »

...at least to the general public when the old forum is shut down?

Pretty much no matter what I search on for SW at 25-50% of the links are to the old forum. I'm going to be so much less productive when that thing shuts down.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: So how much knowledge will be lost...

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

It will take time, but hopefully this one will get to the same point.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:57 pm It will take time, but hopefully this one will get to the same point.
Uh....do you mean in knowledge or in being shut down? :? :cry:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

MJuric wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:38 pm ...at least to the general public when the old forum is shut down?

Pretty much no matter what I search on for SW at 25-50% of the links are to the old forum. I'm going to be so much less productive when that thing shuts down.
MJuric wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:38 pm ...at least to the general public when the old forum is shut down?

Substitute "this" for "old" in the highlighted sentence above is what I meant.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

I had lost count how many workaround/question/troubleshooting that i had solved by using the old forum... I would say 75% at least for me? The remaining goes to SOLIDWORKS help and VAR blog post (although rarely help)...

Whenever i faced an issue, i will normally just google search and click the first forum.solidworks.com link that i can find before any other link...

Lets hope that in the near future, this forum will be in the top~3 (?) whenever we google search for some question...
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

I wonder how SWYM will look like late April or so.. Right now they are lucky to get 3 posts per day and it doesn't take long for a post to get buried.
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Roasted By John wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:46 am I wonder how SWYM will look like late April or so.. Right now they are lucky to get 3 posts per day and it doesn't take long for a post to get buried.
I'm expecting them to keep on their attitude until the switch. After the switch though, I'm thinking they'll realize that it was a mistake, not necessarly why, but I believe they will.

Then, will they listen to us or will they just try to mock up something new on their side hoping it answers whatever issue we're having. I'm thinking the second option, and I'm thinking it's going to be great with many fallacies
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:56 am
Roasted By John wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:46 am I wonder how SWYM will look like late April or so.. Right now they are lucky to get 3 posts per day and it doesn't take long for a post to get buried.
I'm expecting them to keep on their attitude until the switch. After the switch though, I'm thinking they'll realize that it was a mistake, not necessarly why, but I believe they will.

Then, will they listen to us or will they just try to mock up something new on their side hoping it answers whatever issue we're having. I'm thinking the second option, and I'm thinking it's going to be great with many fallacies
I have no idea why you would hold that belief, but I understanding it from a "Hope" point of view.

DS has made it painfully clear in so many ways that they intend to move, with force if necessary, everyone to the 3DX platform. SW desktop as we know it will be relegated to the bastard step child position over the next decade and may cease to exist at all in 15 years.

I could be entirely wrong, but in order for me to be incorrect it would mean that the whole of DS is nearly utterly incompetent. Not that that has never happened in a corporation, but it never ends will when it does.
AlexLachance

MJuric wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:13 am I have no idea why you would hold that belief, but I understanding it from a "Hope" point of view.

DS has made it painfully clear in so many ways that they intend to move, with force if necessary, everyone to the 3DX platform. SW desktop as we know it will be relegated to the bastard step child position over the next decade and may cease to exist at all in 15 years.

I could be entirely wrong, but in order for me to be incorrect it would mean that the whole of DS is nearly utterly incompetent. Not that that has never happened in a corporation, but it never ends will when it does.
I think you misinterpreted my post. I believe what DS said, and I know they will go ahead with attempting to force everyone to the 3DX Platform.

With that said, that does not mean that it won't be a failure most likely, as many have already pointed out. It also does not mean that in a certain time frame from now, with all the traffic missing that they were expecting to get from the ''forceful move'', that they won't realize that it was a mistake.

And when they do, I think they will do something that answers what we've been telling them, while still sparkling around some of that DS dust, that will make us grind our teeth.

There has been a few examples of this happening in the past with SolidWorks, so I kind of hold a glimpse of hope that the same thing will happen again
Roasted By John

Let the party begin
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Roasted By John

Let the party begin
image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
matt

Unread post by matt »

I don't think we're going to lose that much information. I'm planning to release a lot of previously withheld content like videos and articles here. The content covers a lot of core topics, and I'll try to make it searchable. That should cover a lot. And if we can start asking and answering more core CAD type questions instead of getting twisted around other topics, it will help a lot as well.

Anyone else just want to write some general essays or articles?
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:05 am I don't think we're going to lose that much information. I'm planning to release a lot of previously withheld content like videos and articles here. The content covers a lot of core topics, and I'll try to make it searchable. That should cover a lot. And if we can start asking and answering more core CAD type questions instead of getting twisted around other topics, it will help a lot as well.

** What kind of articles?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Roasted By John

Looks like our voice was heard.....

As long as there's breath there's' hope, never ever give up..

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... wM062w0RjA
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:15 am
matt wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:05 am I don't think we're going to lose that much information. I'm planning to release a lot of previously withheld content like videos and articles here. The content covers a lot of core topics, and I'll try to make it searchable. That should cover a lot. And if we can start asking and answering more core CAD type questions instead of getting twisted around other topics, it will help a lot as well.

** What kind of articles?
I think if people here could write articles on stuff you know, that would increase our credibility a lot. Instead of 5 people arguing about best practice or PDM, if we could have a couple of overviews of what you think the best PDM setup is for your business. It should be written so that someone who knows nothing of what you do can understand why your approach is the best option.

You might write an article on SS vs Weldments. Or multibody sheet metal. Instead of a brief argument against a point of view, make an article that everybody can understand that has some simple examples in it.

Remember that almost everything works from some point of view. So you have to establish your point of view. It's harder to write something based on a general point of view, because that means no one can relate to it.

Take stuff that Alin writes about large assemblies. As a reseller guy he has to write from a general point of view. Doing that effectively is difficult. People have to imagine themselves in some situation where his assumptions are valid. You can use Alin's stuff as a guide. He's very thorough and his approach is great.

My articles will be on either plastics or plastic design or synchronous, or some obscure feature, or CAD Admin, or design process or stuff like that. My videos will be about individual features or groups of features.

I think we need to focus more on the technical aspects of CAD tools to attract/deserve a wider crowd. Getting balled up about 3dx is a little esoteric for the masses, and doesn't really establish anyone as a real expert.

Just write about what you know, within the topic of course. If you want more ideas or some editing help, I can help you with that. I'll try to write an example when I've got some time. Here's one: applying color and appearances: https://dezignstuff.com/appearance-hierarchy/
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@matt Does this forum have an "Article" like feature? I've seen that with other sites and forums.
Jason
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:59 pm
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:57 pm It will take time, but hopefully this one will get to the same point.
Uh....do you mean in knowledge or in being shut down? :? :cry:
Unfortunately both...But since it's not owned by a corporation, it can probably be ported over to something else, and there's a lot better chance that won't be a "walled garden" like the Swamp.
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:05 am @matt Does this forum have an "Article" like feature? I've seen that with other sites and forums.
We just have the post like feature right now. I can look for something on the article level.
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 am
jcapriotti wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:05 am @matt Does this forum have an "Article" like feature? I've seen that with other sites and forums.
We just have the post like feature right now. I can look for something on the article level.
Hey Matt,

If I'm not mistaken phpBB has a built-in ''homepage'' functionality, which you can customize to your own will. If that is the case, then you could do a bunch of interesting things and have a homepage similar to this:
image.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:50 am
matt wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:42 am
Hey Matt,

If I'm not mistaken phpBB has a built-in ''homepage'' functionality, which you can customize to your own will. If that is the case, then you could do a bunch of interesting things and have a homepage similar to this:
image.png
There is something for "pages" which I have installed, but haven't done anything with yet. Not sure if that's the same thing you're talking about.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Roasted By John wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:26 am Looks like our voice was heard.....

As long as there's breath there's' hope, never ever give up..

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... wM062w0RjA
I read the blog and would be curious what you read in there that gave you hope? It read a whole lot like marketing speak to me. Nothing concrete, nothing expressly promised, no time frame nada, just the attempt to give everyone a warm and fuzzy feeling so that they won't walk away.
Roasted By John

@MJuric

The biggest thing that gave me hope is pretty simple... First off, according to Ryan Priddy he had tried to convince the upper management to keep the Google Search application part of the SWYM forum and according to his messages that he left on the other forum, he wasn't able to get there.

So the hope stems from - you piss off the forum community, we're going to force them to a conclusion, fix it or we walk away.. There were two things that I think were a direct result of that turning point in the road and one of them was this forum...and the other our voice, they knew our voice will get louder, I personally would have been banned from SWYM before I would have given up for change.. I would have spammed every message for a month, but probably would have been shut down once it got to a week...

Now there is a really good chance that they will clean everything up over there so we don't leave, but could take a bit before we like it. Friggen hard to please, that's what we is.. ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Roasted By John wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:04 pm @MJuric

Now there is a really good chance that they will clean everything up over there so we don't leave, but could take a bit before we like it. Friggen hard to please, that's what we is.. ;)
I guess this is what I'm questioning. When I read that blog I read very little "We heard your concerns and are going to change it to the way you want it". What I did hear was "We here you complaining and we are going to make vague statements like "You're important" and "We will make improvements" in order to make you think we are going to actually change things to the way you want them."

In short I don't think anything has changed except for the fact that they me losing more people than they expected to and are trying to stop that from happening. But I think there is next to zero chance that even if no one goes to that forum that they will actually fix the things that are wrong with it.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:28 am It also does not mean that in a certain time frame from now, with all the traffic missing that they were expecting to get from the ''forceful move'', that they won't realize that it was a mistake.

And when they do, I think they will do something that answers what we've been telling them, while still sparkling around some of that DS dust, that will make us grind our teeth.

There has been a few examples of this happening in the past with SolidWorks, so I kind of hold a glimpse of hope that the same thing will happen again
I actually don't think they care about our kind of traffic. They have a platform that they want to convert people to and the traffic they care about is increasing the traffic on that platform. Ridding themselves of the old solidworks forum also rids themselves of some of the most ardent supporters of the old platform. Now more issues will be handled by VARs then the free access to the forum and those VARs will continually push people toward the 3DX as well.

I actually see this as a two birds one stone from the perspective of moving everyone to the new platform and catering to the people on the old forum goes against that goal.

Again, purely speculation on my part.
AlexLachance

MJuric wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:19 pmI guess this is what I'm questioning. When I read that blog I read very little "We heard your concerns and are going to change it to the way you want it". What I did hear was "We here you complaining and we are going to make vague statements like "You're important" and "We will make improvements" in order to make you think we are going to actually change things to the way you want them."

In short I don't think anything has changed except for the fact that they me losing more people than they expected to and are trying to stop that from happening. But I think there is next to zero chance that even if no one goes to that forum that they will actually fix the things that are wrong with it.
In fact, the only thing that was announced was that they've decided to switch their stance on the only thing that they most likely can't control.
Roasted By John

MJuric wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:25 pm
AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:28 am It also does not mean that in a certain time frame from now, with all the traffic missing that they were expecting to get from the ''forceful move'', that they won't realize that it was a mistake.

I actually don't think they care about our kind of traffic. They have a platform that they want to convert people to and the traffic they care about is increasing the traffic on that platform. Ridding themselves of the old solidworks forum also rids themselves of some of the most ardent supporters of the old platform. Now more issues will be handled by VARs then the free access to the forum and those VARs will continually push people toward the 3DX as well.

I actually see this as a two birds one stone from the perspective of moving everyone to the new platform and catering to the people on the old forum goes against that goal.

Again, purely speculation on my part.
That makes two "Speculations" ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

You guys amaze me. We (female dog) incessantly about their terrible decisions. Their answer is to continue to $#!+ on us, but spray a little air freshener when they are done and you guys are like: "Victory. See, they are listening to us!"

-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm You guys amaze me. We (female dog) incessantly about their terrible decisions. Their answer is to continue to $#!+ on us, but spray a little air freshener when they are done and you guys are like: "Victory. See, they are listening to us!"

I think there's some optimism to be had, but the general concensus seems to be similar to yours. It still stinks.