Bill Gates backs bid to cool Earth with chalk dust...

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
RickB
Answers: 0

Bill Gates backs bid to cool Earth with chalk dust...

Unread post by RickB »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... phere.html

Could dimming the sun help to cool the Earth? Bill Gates wants to spray millions of tonnes of CHALK into the stratosphere to reflect sunlight and slow global warming - but critics fear it could be disastrous

The project will see a test balloon launch this summer from the town of Kiruna
It will send 2kg of chalk into the stratosphere 12 miles above the Earth's surface
Scientists will then monitor who the dust particles interact with the atmosphere
This will be fed into computer models to predict how a larger plume would work
The idea is to 'block out' some of the sun's energy to cool down the Earth

The first test of a project backed to spray millions of tonnes of chalk into the stratosphere, in an attempt to 'dim the sun' and cool the Earth, could happen in June.

Harvard University experts will test the system by sending a large balloon 12 miles above the Swedish town of Kiruna and have it drop 2kg of chalk dust into the stratosphere.

The aim of the estimated $3 million mission, backed by billionaire Bill Gates, is to have the chalk deflect a portion of the sun's radiation, stop it from hitting the surface, and cool the planet...
image.png
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: Bill Gates backs bid to cool Earth with chalk dust...

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

I clicked the link thinking surely that's an Onion or Babylon Bee article....
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:34 pm I clicked the link thinking surely that's an Onion or Babylon Bee article....
Might as well be. :roll:

Also..........I don't mean to brag.............but I've got the same climate science degree that Gates does........ :lol:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

mike miller wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:40 pm
mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:34 pm I clicked the link thinking surely that's an Onion or Babylon Bee article....
Might as well be. :roll:

Also..........I don't mean to brag.............but I've got the same climate science degree that Gates does........ :lol:
The idiocies money will allow you to do, seriously...Why not build giant sunglasses Bill?

Maybe I should delete that last part in case he ever finds it and takes it seriously.
mattpeneguy

RickB wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:16 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... phere.html

Could dimming the sun help to cool the Earth? Bill Gates wants to spray millions of tonnes of CHALK into the stratosphere to reflect sunlight and slow global warming - but critics fear it could be disastrous

It will send 2kg of chalk into the stratosphere 12 miles above the Earth's surface
Scientists will then monitor who the dust particles interact with the atmosphere

The first test of a project backed to spray millions of tonnes of chalk into the stratosphere, in an attempt to 'dim the sun' and cool the Earth, could happen in June.

Harvard University experts will test the system by sending a large balloon 12 miles above the Swedish town of Kiruna and have it drop 2kg of chalk dust into the stratosphere.

The aim of the estimated $3 million mission, backed by billionaire Bill Gates, is to have the chalk deflect a portion of the sun's radiation, stop it from hitting the surface, and cool the planet...

image.png
Why don't we kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You posted that article about the problem with all the plastic garbage we generate...and I suggested just launching it into space...that could solve this problem, too...
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

For some reason... When humans try to manipulate the Natural Cycle of humans or earth, we end up paying for it dearly.....
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Craig Makarowski
Answers: 0

Unread post by Craig Makarowski »

Uh! You do realize that the current crop of active volcanos are already doing this as we speak, what i want to know is how many plane flight have been affected in areas of volcanic activity?
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

..geezus,... talc your tin foil hats.
Attachments
tinfoil-hat.gif
tinfoil-hat.gif (25.79 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:52 pm
RickB wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:16 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... phere.html

image.png
Why don't we kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You posted that article about the problem with all the plastic garbage we generate...and I suggested just launching it into space...that could solve this problem, too...
I know it sounds, you know, looney....why aren't we planting a $@it load of trees? A trillion trees remove all the CO2 we spew each year. We currently have an estimated 3T trees on the planet. 25% increase in trees saves the planet.
mattpeneguy

MJuric wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 am

image.png
I know it sounds, you know, looney....why aren't we planting a $@it load of trees? A trillion trees remove all the CO2 we spew each year. We currently have an estimated 3T trees on the planet. 25% increase in trees saves the planet.
Surprisingly we can't even do that right...https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/s ... male-trees
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 am
Surprisingly we can't even do that right...https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/s ... male-trees
Every spring I get this with our pine trees, which are both male and female. I don't see a huge amount of pollen, nothing like the pine trees, from other trees. Once a year you can just see the stuff floating off the trees every time there is a decent gust of wind. Everything in the yard has this thin layer of yellow on it until we get a decent rain.

I really feel for those with serious allergies....but we should still be planting more trees,

On another note, how do you tell if a baby tree is a male or a female? I used to go to the local state park where there was a ton of oaks, pick up acorns and then sprout several of them over the winter and either plant them in the spring or grow them until the following spring and plant them. I never thought to hang out the pink or blue balloons or hand out cigars.
AlexLachance

I have serious allergies with pollen and I'm all for planting more trees. The issue is not the tree, the issue is me. There are medications for allergies, and I am taking them which makes things a lot better.
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:45 am I have serious allergies with pollen and I'm all for planting more trees. The issue is not the tree, the issue is me. There are medications for allergies, and I am taking them which makes things a lot better.
The claim is that before 1950 only something like 2% of the people had allergies. After that policy of only planting male trees to reduce the number of seeds, the amount of pollen sky rocketed and the new claim is that 70% of people have allergies. So, once again this is a claim and I haven't looked into it to verify it, but the amount of tree pollen has increased drastically and one area there was a ratio of something like a couple THOUSAND male trees to something like 4 female trees in one area that they surveyed.

I haven't looked into this enough, but going out and planting more trees according to the above policy may not be a good idea.

And fixing a policy like this may be impossible, considering we can't even get the whole moving the clocks twice a year thing fixed...
AlexLachance

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:58 am
AlexLachance wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:45 am I have serious allergies with pollen and I'm all for planting more trees. The issue is not the tree, the issue is me. There are medications for allergies, and I am taking them which makes things a lot better.
The claim is that before 1950 only something like 2% of the people had allergies. After that policy of only planting male trees to reduce the number of seeds, the amount of pollen sky rocketed and the new claim is that 70% of people have allergies. So, once again this is a claim and I haven't looked into it to verify it, but the amount of tree pollen has increased drastically and one area there was a ratio of something like a couple THOUSAND male trees to something like 4 female trees in one area that they surveyed.

I haven't looked into this enough, but going out and planting more trees according to the above policy may not be a good idea.

And fixing a policy like this may be impossible, considering we can't even get the whole moving the clocks twice a year thing fixed...
I think there's a lot of intangibles that people do not concider when looking at these. The same tree will not necessarly the same ammount of pollen from one year compared to the other. Someone who's allergic to pollen will generally also be allergic to mold.

For instance, 3 years ago was the year I've had the worst allergies in a long time because for some reason there was insanely more pollen then usual because of leaves and what not breaking down and molding up and the buds bursting.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

image.png
GREEN LIVES MATTER!!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

DennisD wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:26 am
GREEN LIVES MATTER!!
I live in IL. When I drive around here we have a bragillion acres of corn and beans and it's BORING. Plant some trees, PLEASE. Instead of spending millions on carbon sequestration, throwing chalk into the air or carbon taxes etc etc etc....make a deal with the farmers and plant some trees. The majority of the midwest is like this. Trees grow pretty well in many of the midwestern states and we don't have an cool mountains to look at...so give us some trees.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Question......what happens in a greenhouse?

Plants grow very well, right? Which removes CO2 from the air, right?

Hint, hint.......equilibrium. :lol:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:04 pm Question......what happens in a greenhouse?

Plants grow very well, right? Which removes CO2 from the air, right?

Hint, hint.......equilibrium. :lol:
As long as you have enough plants to pull out all the CO2 being added. Seal up a greenhouse and keep the same amount of plants in there and then start pumping in CO2...eventually you have very little oxygen. The plants might grow great, but it's really hard for people to breath.

That being said some plants do better than other plants with a higher CO2 percentage. Beans do pretty well....poison ivy seems to do really well.