Matt's BLOG Post - Synchronous Throwdown

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
KennyG
Answers: 7

Matt's BLOG Post - Synchronous Throwdown

Unread post by KennyG »

mike miller

Re: Matt's BLOG Post - Synchronous Throwdown

Unread post by mike miller »

Is there a kickback for posting links to his blog? Coffee by airmail?

As far as the Synch Throwdown, I'm on Matt's side. The more I use it the better I like it, AND the more frustrating history-based tools become.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

So far I both love and hate it. Some changes are so easy but I have run into cases where having the history was easier for a certain change, particularly when the area editing gets complex.

Maybe we should have a "change of the week" model with people showing it done in both methods.
Jason
mike miller

Unread post by mike miller »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:57 pm So far I both love and hate it. Some changes are so easy but I have run into cases where having the history was easier for a certain change, particularly when the area editing gets complex.

Maybe we should have a "change of the week" model with people showing it done in both methods.
Part of the learning curve is knowing what to create in Synch and what to create in Ordered, based on how easy it is to change things. Rule of thumb is to create basic shapes with Synch and detail with Ordered. That sounds easy. The difficulty is in knowing where basic starts and ends.

Also, experience makes a huge difference! I had to get my butt kicked a few times until I learned how to speak the language. I'm sure my SWX experience and engrained instincts didn't speed up that process....
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

I don't believe in dark magic.
mattpeneguy

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:57 pm So far I both love and hate it. Some changes are so easy but I have run into cases where having the history was easier for a certain change, particularly when the area editing gets complex.

Yeah, I got to demo SE, but didn't get enough time to fully look into ST. So, I have no idea how it would work in our situation. I'd be curious to see how top-down designs work. But, unfortunately for us if we switch it'll probably be to IV because they are targeting our industry whereas SE and SW are ignoring it...So, it may be a moot point for us.
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:19 pm Yeah, I got to demo SE, but didn't get enough time to fully look into ST. So, I have no idea how it would work in our situation. I'd be curious to see how top-down designs work. But, unfortunately for us if we switch it'll probably be to IV because they are targeting our industry whereas SE and SW are ignoring it...So, it may be a moot point for us.
Matt, what industry would you be in?
mattpeneguy

Same as @Glenn Schroeder, I work in transportation for a DOT.
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:50 pm Same as @Glenn Schroeder, I work in transportation for a DOT.
I'm curious how they (Autodesk) are targeting that industry with INV? I understand that Autodesk has a strong presence in that area for the civil side, but not sure how INV ties into that, or is it about the "Package"?
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

The next article in this series will be how you can edit 3D parts in synch like you edit 2d sketches...
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

KennyG wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:15 pm I'm curious how they (Autodesk) are targeting that industry with INV? I understand that Autodesk has a strong presence in that area for the civil side, but not sure how INV ties into that, or is it about the "Package"?
I can't answer your question directly. Most of the DOT's I've dealt with use MicroStation
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"