SW Nvidia knowledge saves muggle's non-CAD laptop

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
HerrTick
Answers: 1

SW Nvidia knowledge saves muggle's non-CAD laptop

Unread post by HerrTick »

Just an anecdote about CAD knowledge spilling over into the non-CAD world...

My friend's aging Dell laptop was acting squirrely after the latest Windoze update. Graphics were acting really strange--blinking out, odd lines, slow response. My friend said he tried everything he could think of.

The laptop has an Nvidia graphics card. I told him I never used the Windows-supplied default drivers, as they never worked well with SolidWorks. I always downloaded graphics drivers straight from Nvidia.

Next time I saw my friend, he said he did just that, and problem is solved.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: SW Nvidia knowledge saves muggle's non-CAD laptop

Unread post by mike miller »

HerrTick wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:34 am Just an anecdote about CAD knowledge spilling over into the non-CAD world...

My friend's aging Dell laptop was acting squirrely after the latest Windoze update. Graphics were acting really strange--blinking out, odd lines, slow response. My friend said he tried everything he could think of.

The laptop has an Nvidia graphics card. I told him I never used the Windows-supplied default drivers, as they never worked well with SolidWorks. I always downloaded graphics drivers straight from Nvidia.

Next time I saw my friend, he said he did just that, and problem is solved.
I would've told him to turn off the "Enhanced Graphics" option.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Hopefully he doesn't have to do the "graphics driver do-si-do line dance swap" for different applications.

We had to do that once with two different assemblies. One assembly would crash with a certain driver, and the other assembly would crash with another driver, but not the first and vice versa. User had to install/uninstall drivers whenever working in the two different assemblies.
Jason
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

interesting...
JuTu

Unread post by JuTu »

mike miller wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:44 am I would've told him to turn off the "Enhanced Graphics" option.
As a matter of fact... is it just me or is there really a benefit to use Enhanced graphics or some other settings-thingy to beautify the things on screen while working on the design.

I understand that marketing material, like renderings, are a different topic.

Now that I think of it. Even in video games, I have always preferred performance over quality.
Sincerely,
JuTu
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

JuTu wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:07 am As a matter of fact... is it just me or is there really a benefit to use Enhanced graphics or some other settings-thingy to beautify the things on screen while working on the design.

Now that I think of it. Even in video games, I have always preferred performance over quality.
I thought the enchanced graphics setting was meant to "improve performance" when it first come out as it is suppose to improve the performance when navigating the model as it use OpenGL 4.5 and hardware acceleration for higher detail and frame rate?

Not to confuse it with real view.
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

JuTu wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:07 am As a matter of fact... is it just me or is there really a benefit to use Enhanced graphics or some other settings-thingy to beautify the things on screen while working on the design.

The Enhanced Graphics Performance is all about performance. Nothing about beautifying things.
There are a few bugs left, but the software is pretty clean in SW 2022.
JuTu

Unread post by JuTu »

Alin wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:41 am The Enhanced Graphics Performance is all about performance. Nothing about beautifying things.
There are a few bugs left, but the software is pretty clean in SW 2022.
Thanks for clarifying this! Sometimes these naming conventions are kinda ambiguous - to me atleast. UU
Sincerely,
JuTu