Looking for a specialty machine shop

Toolpaths, cutters, schemes, software. hardware, etc.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Looking for a specialty machine shop

Unread post by SPerman »

I need to manufacture a 42" long x 2" od 6061-T6 shaft that is centerless ground and gun drilled. This will be a low volume run, which makes it even more challenging. Can anyone point me to a resource that can handle this? I've located a handful of companies from searching the internet, but I thought this group may be able to recommend someone to me.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Looking for a specialty machine shop

Unread post by zxys001 »

..yeah,..the first one which came up... http://precisiontube.com/capabilities/what-we-do
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:15 pm I need to manufacture a 42" long x 2" od 6061-T6 shaft that is centerless ground and gun drilled. This will be a low volume run, which makes it even more challenging. Can anyone point me to a resource that can handle this? I've located a handful of companies from searching the internet, but I thought this group may be able to recommend someone to me.

image.png
There is a guy that I use in Grand Rapids that is one of the best Machinists I know. He does all sorts of specialty stuff for me. Including the micro machining of the cathodes that I need for the ECD machine here.

He may be able to help you.

B & K Metal
Kris Hurley
3 Mile Rd. NW Suite E,
Grand Rapids, Mi
(616) 520-3458
PM me for email address.

If you do end up calling him, tell him that Dan Pihlaja sent you.

Although I will say that those tolerances are pretty tight. So your mileage may vary.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Hey Dan,
You may want to remove his email address. This website is publicly available and if you leave it up it'll just cause him to get a bunch of spam. PM the email address, instead.

Anyone needing the email address, please just PM Dan.
MattW
Answers: 2

Unread post by MattW »

I can't help with your request, but I am interested in hearing how this comes out. Doesn't your cylindricity callout greatly exceed your straightness callout? Making a guess, I would not be surprised if breathing on this part will cause it to go out of spec.