How to dimension to the intersection of two edges (chamfer, fillet, etc)

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

How to dimension to the intersection of two edges (chamfer, fillet, etc)

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

This became pretty easy thanks to an enhancement about 5 years or so ago. With the Smart Dimension tool active, right-click on one of the edges. Select "Find Intersection" from the drop-down.

image.png

Next left-click on the other edge. That will place a "Virtual Sharp" mark at the intersection of the two edges.

image.png

Now you can make your second selection for the dimension.

image.png

As I mentioned above, this method wasn't always available, so if you're using an older version of SW and "Find Intersection" isn't in the drop-down you can still get it done. Exit the Smart Dimension function, Ctrl+select both edges, and then choose the Point sketch tool. That will place a virtual sharp at the intersection of the two lines. Now you can dimension to it. As far as I know this has always been available.

By the way, you can select one of several virtual sharp styles at Tools > Options > Document Properties > Virtual Sharps.

image.png

The Virtual Sharp will come in as a pale gray color, but you can later move it to a layer with the desired properties if you want. Unfortunately as of SW2022 there isn't a way to assign a Layer to them in Document Properties.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
KevinC
Answers: 1

Re: How to dimension to the intersection of two edges (chamfer, fillet, etc)

Unread post by KevinC »

As a reminder, could please add to this FAQ, that there is also a dedicated chamfer dimension (displays D X Angle only though).