starting

Discuss Onshape with other users
Allen
Answers: 0

starting

Unread post by Allen »

I have registered a free Onshape membership. I have 38 years of AutoCad (2D) experiance. I need some direction how to even start a sketch.
thx, Allen.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: starting

Unread post by SPerman »

Maybe this will help.

-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Allen

Unread post by Allen »

Hi Sperman, thx, I have looked at lots & lots of tuts & vids, I understsnd them, BUT, cannot even get beyond making a rectanle. I am missing something alstepong the line, also confused about the "Document" & "Folder". So, real beginner step for step is what I need. THx. Allen.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

@Allen,
If your ACAD experience is all 2D then you are in for a great venture of amazing modeling capabilities, be it with Onshape or any other 3D software.

Sometimes it is hard to "unlearn" the embedded ways of doing things. 37 years is a lot of embedding. The Onshape tutorials are actually very well done, but you are right, if you don't get off on the right foot you will have nothing but frustration. My advice is to watch the videos closely. Pause them and back them up as needed until you see every little thing. Once you mentally cross the threshold that's currently tripping you up you will make great progress.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 3D!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

DennisD wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:35 pm @Allen,
If your ACAD experience is all 2D then you are in for a great venture of amazing modeling capabilities, be it with Onshape or any other 3D software.

Sometimes it is hard to "unlearn" the embedded ways of doing things. 37 years is a lot of embedding. The Onshape tutorials are actually very well done, but you are right, if you don't get off on the right foot you will have nothing but frustration. My advice is to watch the videos closely. Pause them and back them up as needed until you see every little thing. Once you mentally cross the threshold that's currently tripping you up you will make great progress.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 3D!
Agree with Dennis. And one thing that I am guilty of, is to make sure that you don't skip any steps....no matter how small and inconsequential they may be.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Allen

Unread post by Allen »

Thx Dennis & Dan - I will re start! Slowly!
XHawkeye
Answers: 1

Unread post by XHawkeye »

Used AutoCAD from 2.5 to 2000. Started 3D with Inventor 5, next job used SW 2003 and the rest is history. My biggest hurdle was learning to think in 3D. Then once you're 'learned' to make parts and assemblies you're only half done because one still needs to learn drawings.

Be patient it took me a couple years before I quit thinking "I could've done this quicker in AutoCAD."