Assembly Join Parts

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
Ronan1961
Answers: 0

Assembly Join Parts

Unread post by Ronan1961 »

Below is the process I would like to replicate/find an equivalent way to achieve in SE

In SW many of my assemblies are welded fabrications. My approach has been
1) A separate model and drawing for each component. The components are a mixture of sheet metal and machined blocks basically.
2) Assemble all the parts
3) Place an empty part in the assembly. Then use the Join Feature to connect all the components into one part. Usually fill in gaps etc with extrudes.
Normally I get it all to a single body.
4) Then I place this joined part into another empty part. All the finish machining is carried out here.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Assembly Join Parts

Unread post by mike miller »

Ronan1961 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:02 pm Below is the process I would like to replicate/find an equivalent way to achieve in SE

In SW many of my assemblies are welded fabrications. My approach has been
1) A separate model and drawing for each component. The components are a mixture of sheet metal and machined blocks basically.
2) Assemble all the parts
3) Place an empty part in the assembly. Then use the Join Feature to connect all the components into one part. Usually fill in gaps etc with extrudes.
Normally I get it all to a single body.
4) Then I place this joined part into another empty part. All the finish machining is carried out here.
That sounds like a lot of work. Why not simply use a representation of the assembly (maybe another configuration or derived assembly) for the machining drawings?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Ronan

Unread post by Ronan »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 am That sounds like a lot of work. Why not simply use a representation of the assembly (maybe another configuration or derived assembly) for the machining drawings?
It is very stable and separates the fabrication side from the machining side. It effectively emulated the physical world process. Start of with a load of parts, weld them together, finish machine one component.
Ideas are simple, once you've thought of them
Ronan1961

Unread post by Ronan1961 »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:54 am That sounds like a lot of work. Why not simply use a representation of the assembly (maybe another configuration or derived assembly) for the machining drawings?
I am not sure if this is what you meant. An assembly can be inserted into a new part using part copy in ordered mode.
found the answer here https://community.sw.siemens.com/s/feed ... 06j5ze5SAA :D