GTAC

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
mike miller
Answers: 7

GTAC

Unread post by mike miller »

There seems to be a lot of mixed messages floating around about GTAC and Siemens Support (in fact, I'm not sure it's even called GTAC anymore). I did a little bit of digging on the Solid Edge forum and some users were definitely pissed around 2020-2021 when *something* changed with the way GTAC operated. I'm still not clear what happened, but the sky is falling team was in full cry. @bnemec, you might know something I don't....???

History aside, I just got off the phone with someone from the Huntsville office (presumably) regarding some questions about silent install and switching active versions of SE for testing purposes. I'm impressed, to say the least. I wish I had that kind of patience and benevolent knowledge.

I still think Siemen's approach to training is uncoordinated and messy; but so far support and troubleshooting are absolutely wonderful.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: GTAC

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:31 pm There seems to be a lot of mixed messages floating around about GTAC and Siemens Support (in fact, I'm not sure it's even called GTAC anymore). I did a little bit of digging on the Solid Edge forum and some users were definitely pissed around 2020-2021 when *something* changed with the way GTAC operated. I'm still not clear what happened, but the sky is falling team was in full cry. @bnemec, you might know something I don't....???

History aside, I just got off the phone with someone from the Huntsville office (presumably) regarding some questions about silent install and switching active versions of SE for testing purposes. I'm impressed, to say the least. I wish I had that kind of patience and benevolent knowledge.

I still think Siemen's approach to training is uncoordinated and messy; but so far support and troubleshooting are absolutely wonderful.
I haven't called in since early 2019, our subscription ran out at some time in 2019 so I don't have any current facts.

I got a vibe of changes when I was following up on some thread notifications over at the forum there. If they took away direct access to GTAC and forcing SE users to go through VARs that is very unfortunate. I don't understand that move because GTAC was always quick to respond IMO. Not like a three-day lag or anything; usually email response in a few hours. There's a couple of southern gentlemen that I miss hearing from. I'm not going to name names in case they prefer privacy, but I tell ya what, there were days I was so frustrated with the tool and he could just take it all in stride and help out or quickly narrow down what I was seeing to an existing issue with work around or I was just doing it wrong. Wow, revoking direct access to GTAC for subscribers would have been a big cut for us.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:11 pm I haven't called in since early 2019, our subscription ran out at some time in 2019 so I don't have any current facts.

I got a vibe of changes when I was following up on some thread notifications over at the forum there. If they took away direct access to GTAC and forcing SE users to go through VARs that is very unfortunate. I don't understand that move because GTAC was always quick to respond IMO. Not like a three-day lag or anything; usually email response in a few hours. There's a couple of southern gentlemen that I miss hearing from. I'm not going to name names in case they prefer privacy, but I tell ya what, there were days I was so frustrated with the tool and he could just take it all in stride and help out or quickly narrow down what I was seeing to an existing issue with work around or I was just doing it wrong. Wow, revoking direct access to GTAC for subscribers would have been a big cut for us.
I think you're supposed to go through your VAR for first level support, and if necessary it escalates to GTAC. That process is quite efficient and smooth with tracked conversations between everyone (user, VAR, and GTAC) on Support Center. That's the politically correct method nowadays, but I found GTAC's direct phone number and they picked up the phone and answered my question. :lol:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:21 pm I think you're supposed to go through your VAR for first level support, and if necessary it escalates to GTAC. That process is quite efficient and smooth with tracked conversations between everyone (user, VAR, and GTAC) on Support Center. That's the politically correct method nowadays, but I found GTAC's direct phone number and they picked up the phone and answered my question. :lol:
Isn't that like line-jumping?
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

DennisD wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:57 pm Isn't that like line-jumping?
Like Elon Musk says, "Use the most direct line of communication possible, don't go through the chain of command. Any manager that enforces the chain of command will not work here."
That obviously could be taken too far but he has a very good point. Communication often gets distorted by the time it reaches the correct person.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:51 am Like Elon Musk says, "Use the most direct line of communication possible, don't go through the chain of command. Any manager that enforces the chain of command will not work here."
That obviously could be taken too far but he has a very good point. Communication often gets distorted by the time it reaches the correct person.
I might be alone in this bin, but CAD is just a tool for my job, one of many. Some days I like it, some days I'd throw it across the shop if I could. When the !%$@#$%ing thing doesn't work and I've got job to get done and deadline but I'm three layers deep in troubleshooting rabbit hole you can bet I will call the place that I believe will provide the most efficient service to help me get sorted with the tool. It's about that simple for me.