Row height on revision table

CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Row height on revision table

Unread post by CarrieIves »

I am trying to understand what is controlling the row height on my revision table.
image.png
For the row with 1 DRAFT A, I double clicked and the height adjusted to be a tighter fit around the letters. I added a row using insert row (not insert revision). That got me 1 DRAFT B which was back to the row with extra space. I inserted the row for 1 DRAFT C and double clicked it to get the tighter fit. I added the row for 1 DRAFT D and stretched it to be larger. (If my text had gone to more than one line, it would have adjusted height.) When I added the next row, it was the same height as the row for 1 DRAFT D. If I go back to one of the rows where I have double clicked to change the height and change the text it goes back to the single row height like I have on 1 DRAFT B when I exit editing the text. Any ideas what to adjust so that my rows as they are inserted will be the tighter fit and not change when I edit the text?

I have tried adjusting the cell padding in the document properties, but I didn't see it make any difference.

I'm on SolidWorks 2020. The revision table was created in a previous revision.

Thanks,
Carrie
by DanPihlaja » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:53 am
Have you tried locking the row heights? Once you lock them, any new rows added are locked as well and are defaulted to the same row height.

Solidworks has had LOTS of issues with row heights jumping around in Solidworks. They added the ability to lock row heights a few versions ago and it definitely helps.
image.png
Go to full post
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Row height on revision table

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Have you tried locking the row heights? Once you lock them, any new rows added are locked as well and are defaulted to the same row height.

Solidworks has had LOTS of issues with row heights jumping around in Solidworks. They added the ability to lock row heights a few versions ago and it definitely helps.
image.png
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

It always takes the last row height for a new row. I don't think you can change that setting except with 'Lock Row Height' as @DanPihlaja mentioned.

Also - sometimes SOILEDworks won't let you mass-adjust the row height anymore. You have to grab the right bottom corner to adjust all cells & then you can mass-adjust again.
I looked into changing it with a macro - but there is not really an API command for it, afaik. I think for a working macro you'd have to first calculate the smallest possible row height with the API & then change it for each row.
CarrieIves

Unread post by CarrieIves »

Lock row height didn't work on the table I originally used for my example. That one was on an older drawing that was created with old templates. It did not show the lock symbol when I selected Lock Row Height. It just popped up a window with the option to adjust the row height. As I wrote this, I went back and tried it again, and just to make me feel silly, it started working. o[
When we went to SW 2020, we created new templates. I made a new drawing that used the new templates. This allowed me to lock my row height. As usual with SolidWorks, if you fix one thing, something else doesn't work the way you want. We will have to unlock the row height if we go to more than one row of text. I'll have to talk this over with the others in my group and see if it is worth trying to have the slightly shorter table.
image.png
Thank you for your help.

Carrie
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

don't forget that you can also hide revisions. We i.e. show only a maximum of 3-5 revisions on the drawing.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

We've just accepted that the row heights on rev table are going to do whatever they want. We found that once we lowered our expectations the software works much better. Anyway, I have a suspicion, which I cannot prove, that it's due to line wrapping then unwrapping but the row height stays increased. Something about the drawing/rendering of the table, if the text is close to not fitting in one line during some display of the drawing it will for a split-second line wrap, then go back. It seems that making sure there is plenty of room for the fixed length texts (date, username etc) will significantly reduce the magic increase in row height. Things to watch for are wide characters if you're not using a fixed width font (which should be the only ones allowed to exist IMO). We have some usernames that are all wide characters, so it appeared random especially when we have a couple columns with username.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

bnemec wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:31 am We found that once we lowered our expectations the software works much better.
That sums up my experience with SW.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:50 am That sums up my experience with SW.
After doing that for over 20 years, what can you expect? UU
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

CarrieIves wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:42 am Lock row height didn't work on the table I originally used for my example. That one was on an older drawing that was created with old templates. It did not show the lock symbol when I selected Lock Row Height. It just popped up a window with the option to adjust the row height. As I wrote this, I went back and tried it again, and just to make me feel silly, it started working. o[
When we went to SW 2020, we created new templates. I made a new drawing that used the new templates. This allowed me to lock my row height. As usual with SolidWorks, if you fix one thing, something else doesn't work the way you want. We will have to unlock the row height if we go to more than one row of text. I'll have to talk this over with the others in my group and see if it is worth trying to have the slightly shorter table.
image.png

Thank you for your help.

Carrie

I know it will take up more room. But you could lock the row height to account for any possible 2nd lines. This way, you will have extra space for 1-liners, but it will be enough for 2-liners. My guess is that 3-liners are rare.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
loeb
Answers: 1

Unread post by loeb »

This is likely linked to the fact that the Document Setting for Table Vertical Cell Padding is ignored by SolidWorks Drawings and has been for well over a decade. I just reported this bug (again).