May be an event this afternoon

Look here for announcements.
matt
Answers: 18

May be an event this afternoon

Unread post by matt »

Steve Billeter is giving a virtual presentation this afternoon at the 3dx convention. He will be mentioning this forum, actually comparing it in some respects to the SWYM. So, we may see an influx of traffic this afternoon. I don't know what's going to happen, but Steve is doing this as a pre-recorded and remote, so he won't actually be in a room with a frenzied mob when he delivers.

Just want to warn folks that there may be an ... event of sorts this afternoon. I guess this is when we test our server upgrades to make sure it can handle the traffic...
image.png
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: May be an event this afternoon

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

I'd log into view that presentation if I didn't have mandatory training this afternoon. Anyone going to watch it and let us know how it goes?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:54 am I'd log into view that presentation if I didn't have mandatory training this afternoon. Anyone going to watch it and let us know how it goes?
I'm signed up to watch. I could give a report, or we could just let @Steven Billeter do it himself.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

matt wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:15 am .............I don't know what's going to happen, but Steve is doing this as a pre-recorded and remote, so he won't actually be in a room with a frenzied mob when he delivers.
Who wants to bet there will be a "technical problem" about halfway through? ()

He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Could somebody please share a link to the presentation?

Also, what time is the presentation...? I'd like to attend it.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:05 am Could somebody please share a link to the presentation?

View the pic that @matt shared in his original post. But it starts @ 1:45 EST.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:05 am Could somebody please share a link to the presentation?

https://3dexperienceworld.com/session-c ... billeter#/

There's probably some sort of sign up.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

The presentation will be available for viewing as a recorded event using the same link from above. So, if you can watch it later, too.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Matt's link doesn't work for me, even after registering.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:55 am Matt's link doesn't work for me, even after registering.
Same.

I may attend this this afternoon, if the link ends up working. I'd like to hear their explanation and perhaps ask some questions as to what made them come to the conclusion that they would be better off having a user forum that is independant from them.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

You want to talk about forums? Now is the opportunity (I mean right this minute):

https://reg.3dexperienceworld.com/flow/ ... earch=1644
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:18 am ... what made them come to the conclusion that they would be better off having a user forum that is independant from them.
SW/DS didn't choose to have an independent forum. I hope people don't get the idea that I am working for them or this site is linked/controlled by them in any way. I set it up as a multi-cad discussion area when they killed off the old forum.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Did it get cancelled?
Glenn Schroeder

berg_lauritz wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:58 pm Did it get cancelled?
Not that I know of. It's due to start in 9 minutes.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Maybe it is full.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:37 pm Not that I know of. It's due to start in 9 minutes.
I stand corrected. I just tried to join, and it wasn't there. And I registered for it a couple weeks ago, so it wasn't full. Here's what I get when I click on the link.

image.png

bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: May >not< be an event this afternoon

Unread post by bnemec »

huh?
image.png
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Someone at DSS must have realized it was a bad idea to talk about "The other solidworks forum."

Hopefully @Steven Billeter will be along shortly to fill us in.
-
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:56 pm Someone at DSS must have realized it was a bad idea to talk about "The other solidworks forum."

Hopefully he owns the material and can just upload the prerecorded content to YouTube or something.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:56 pm Someone at DSS must have realized it was a bad idea to talk about "The other solidworks forum."

Yep! That was truly a last minute deflection.
2022-02-09 15_02_26.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:48 am SW/DS didn't choose to have an independent forum. I hope people don't get the idea that I am working for them or this site is linked/controlled by them in any way. I set it up as a multi-cad discussion area when they killed off the old forum.
I didn't mean it in as you work for them, but more as you have no ties with them and they're removing an important part of their program's community and giving every other competitor a fair attempt at grabbing that share of the community.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Huh. I guess I'm confused, although I'm not sure why. Am I confused that the session was cancelled last minute because someone finally bothered to read what it was or am I confused that it was scheduled in the first place because no one bothered to read what it was about?

In any case, that was a misfire. If @Steven Billeter is out there, I'd love to hear your side of the story.
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:34 pm Huh. I guess I'm confused, although I'm not sure why. Am I confused that the session was cancelled last minute because someone finally bothered to read what it was or am I confused that it was scheduled in the first place because no one bothered to read what it was about?

In any case, that was a misfire. If @Steven Billeter is out there, I'd love to hear your side of the story.
*drumroll*

I didn't even bother checking because I figured it would end up doing something like that.
AlexLachance

My guess, is that someone in the higher anarchy takes a look on here every now and then, and he just so happened to see the thread you made which is what caused the cancellation before it even started.
mattpeneguy

It seems like this couldn't have been handled any worse than it was. I know when I've prepared presentations, I have put a lot of hours into them. This was disrespectful to @Steven Billeter.
Steven, maybe you can post it up on youtube? Before doing that make sure you didn't sign anything with Dassault precluding that.
I'd be interested in watching it.
AlexLachance

I'd also be interested in hearing the presentation, even though the fact that it was cancelled somewhat indicates that it is not necessarly a representation of Dassault's ideology.
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:37 pm My guess, is that someone in the higher anarchy takes a look on here every now and then, and he just so happened to see the thread you made which is what caused the cancellation before it even started.
Yeah, that's what somebody else thought. I'm not sure why people with something better to do (like reading descriptions of presentations at their world-wide conference) would be wasting time Jonesin' around here. But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I can get paid for evaluating presentations next year. <()>
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Given:

Matt's history with the company
This place being created as an alternative to the "official' swamp
How many members from here did (and probably still do) go there just to be obnoxious
The amount of time and money invested in the swamp

I never understood how it made it onto the list. They might have been desperate for content with the last minute change to pre-recorded, and it was approved prematurely.
-
AlexLachance

matt wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:53 pm Yeah, that's what somebody else thought. I'm not sure why people with something better to do (like reading descriptions of presentations at their world-wide conference) would be wasting time Jonesin' around here. But, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I can get paid for evaluating presentations next year. <()>
Hrm... Sounds like a great idea for the 3DXWorld Top 10 next year. I'd love a top paying job to do that
AlexLachance

mattpeneguy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:46 pm This was disrespectful to @Steven Billeter.
It certainly was. Thankfully the convention is online this year. Imagine if he had flown to whatever location just to have the presentation be cancelled at the last minute.

I'm not sure I'd be able to comment that situation for the next few weeks if I were in his chair
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:01 pm It certainly was. Thankfully the convention is online this year. Imagine if he had flown to whatever location just to have the presentation be cancelled at the last minute.

I'm not sure I'd be able to comment that situation for the next few weeks if I were in his chair
Yeah, I guess I was wrong, Dassault could have handled it worse. The black eye they get for pulling it last minute is worse than going through with it, IMO.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it seems like there are 2 groups running things over there. 1 group is responsible for making terrible decisions and the other is responsible for dealing with the outfall.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

What I don't get is if SWYM is so great why is this place any threat at all? I thought the point of SWYM is to have all the conversations about a company's data and projects and products in the same system as the CAD, PDM, PLM and a bunch of other things. Comparing that to this is not even apples to oranges.
Steven Billeter
Answers: 0

Unread post by Steven Billeter »

I know there have been many questions about my presentation that was supposed to occur at the 3DExperience conference. At the last minute the presentation was pulled. That is all of information I can convey at this time.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Steven Billeter wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:18 pm I know there have been many questions about my presentation that was supposed to occur at the 3DExperience conference. At the last minute the presentation was pulled. That is all of information I can convey at this time.
image.png
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I've been wondering if the dust has settled enough that the presentation could be shared in some format? I'm assuming it was put together in a professional manner with good content regarding how to get the most out of both sites. I was looking forward to a third-party view.

Thank you.
mattpeneguy

bnemec wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:47 pm I've been wondering if the dust has settled enough that the presentation could be shared in some format? I'm assuming it was put together in a professional manner with good content regarding how to get the most out of both sites. I was looking forward to a third-party view.

Thank you.
I wanted to post something similar, but figured he had some type of agreement that prevented him from sharing it.