IMPORTING TOOL AND HOLDER MODELS

Toolpaths, cutters, schemes, software. hardware, etc.
Dalego
Answers: 0

IMPORTING TOOL AND HOLDER MODELS

Unread post by Dalego »

Does anyone have a work around for importing tooling or toolholder models to use in SW CAM? I am able to get my tooling and holder models from machiningcloud.com however SW gives the INVALID GEOMETRY error. I would like to import the models for simulating but am not getting anywhere. I have tried about all I can think of so am now in here seeking advice. It would save me loads of time not clicking around with generic models in the software or redrawing what already exists. Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: IMPORTING TOOL AND HOLDER MODELS

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Dalego wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:46 pm Does anyone have a work around for importing tooling or toolholder models to use in SW CAM? I am able to get my tooling and holder models from machiningcloud.com however SW gives the INVALID GEOMETRY error. I would like to import the models for simulating but am not getting anywhere. I have tried about all I can think of so am now in here seeking advice. It would save me loads of time not clicking around with generic models in the software or redrawing what already exists. Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated.
What CAD format (file type) are you import?
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Dalego

Unread post by Dalego »

I have tried the stp and stl file formats then I try to save them as a .mh or a .mt as needed by SW however the software does not like the geometry so thats where I get stuck.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I found this on creating tools (I've never used solidworks CAM, so my advice may be worthless):

"The sketch must be on the front plane in +X and +Y directions with the tool tip coincident with the origin."

Edit: I can't find any help files for CAM on the SW web site. Are you sure you can import geometry? This link makes me think you can only import a sketch.

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2020/ ... works-cam/
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Dalego

Unread post by Dalego »

SPerman

That is worth trying. The concern now is there is documentation on how one can import the entire model yet I do not see a "How To" anyplace. It would be better, IMO, if we could import as we would from Mcmaster-Carr or other vendors with ease.
Dalego

Unread post by Dalego »

Ok, using the sketch did work with A LOT of dinking around. Comes in as 2D then need to delete lines to revolve properly. Was able to get it where i want it.

Thanks for the idea SPerman!! It will work for now until I figure out something better and faster.
MattW
Answers: 2

Unread post by MattW »

Late to the party, but- if you have a solid model, a sketch can be extracted pretty quickly. If you have a model (or dxf) post it up.