Saving and closing SolidWorks suppresses new and last changed features

BrianHoerner
Answers: 0

Saving and closing SolidWorks suppresses new and last changed features

Unread post by BrianHoerner »

Folks,

This has been happening for MANY years and versions of SolidWorks, but have never found a root cause as it isn't all of any user/project/folder files, and have worked with Dassault and they have not found the issue resolution so thought I would give it the old heave-ho to see if any of you folks have seen this or know of a causal reason.

So occasionally, a user will open a file, add some features, change some features, save the file, close SW and then when re-opened those features noted are suppressed. Resolving the features and saving corrects the issue, but, hazardous when you don't trust the software before a file release and need to do a sanity check of opening and closing all files multiple times to make sure the file is correct.

Can have only one file open, and assembly and the file, multiple files...doesn't matter.

Happens as noted with different users on different files, but no real rhyme or reason finding the cause.

We are currently on SW2020 sp5 and have had this issue going back at least 5 or six versions.

Appreciate any thoughts you may have!
Brian
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Saving and closing SolidWorks suppresses new and last changed features

Unread post by AlexLachance »

BrianHoerner wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:03 pm Folks,

This has been happening for MANY years and versions of SolidWorks, but have never found a root cause as it isn't all of any user/project/folder files, and have worked with Dassault and they have not found the issue resolution so thought I would give it the old heave-ho to see if any of you folks have seen this or know of a causal reason.

So occasionally, a user will open a file, add some features, change some features, save the file, close SW and then when re-opened those features noted are suppressed. Resolving the features and saving corrects the issue, but, hazardous when you don't trust the software before a file release and need to do a sanity check of opening and closing all files multiple times to make sure the file is correct.

Can have only one file open, and assembly and the file, multiple files...doesn't matter.

Happens as noted with different users on different files, but no real rhyme or reason finding the cause.

We are currently on SW2020 sp5 and have had this issue going back at least 5 or six versions.

Brian
Hey Brian,

Your issue lies in the fact that you have hidden messages that contradict themselves most likely. I can almost guarantee that this is the cause.

Most likely, you clicked to never show again while answering no on something like ''Are you sure you want to save files in read only''

So, I would go and do a clean-up of the hidden messages, and see if the issue still occurs.

Edit: Hrm, I just noticed you were speaking of supressed features rather then loss of changes. Are you running anything like PDM or PDL? I don't use these, but I know they have a revision thingie built-in, maybe that is what causes your issues.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Config in the file?
BrianHoerner

So as far as PDM, that isn't the issue, good thought but no, this has been happening many years even if we turned off WorkGroup, or currently log out of PDM.

Fredrick, no configs created but again, a good thought.....
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

BrianHoerner wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:17 pm So as far as PDM, that isn't the issue, good thought but no, this has been happening many years even if we turned off WorkGroup, or currently log out of PDM.

Fredrick, no configs created but again, a good thought.....
Is it maybe an issue with the rollback bar? Do you use the Freeze bar? Or maybe a time-zone issue?
AlexLachance

BrianHoerner wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:03 pm Folks,

Brian
Okay Brian,

I think I got it, again it most likely has to do with hidden message.

Most likely, your user pulls up the bar, does his modification and then saves and exit.

And then, the next user comes along, opens up an assembly containing that file with the rollbar back halfway in it. Generally there's a message that comes up that says something along the line of ''your assembly contains a part that's been rolled back, would you like to .....'' but I'm thinking you have that message hidden. If that's the case, try unchecking that one and see if that fixes the issue.

I'm pretty sure it's self inflicted. Either that or you've got an uncommon bug that comes from using outdated templates.
BrianHoerner

Will check, but doubtful, it isn't all at the end of the file or rollback, there could be multiple (10-20-30....) active features in between the ones that are "autosuppressed" ...... maybe it's a command they never told us about :O
AlexLachance

BrianHoerner wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:46 pm Will check, but doubtful, it isn't all at the end of the file or rollback, there could be multiple (10-20-30....) active features in between the ones that are "autosuppressed" ...... maybe it's a command they never told us about :O
Hrm, that's very odd Brian, have you checked your templates to make sure they're good? If they're up to date, then it has nothing to do with ''old template file gotcha syndrome''.

To check template, right click on a plane and view it's property. The date created is supposed to represent the version it was created in.

I'm trying to think of when these kind of things happen, and I don't really have any idea. You said your VAR said he has no idea. Has he never involved SW in your troubleshooting? If he's not able to answer your questions, he's supposed to escalate it to SolidWorks, and in return they should be able to provide you an answer, even if it might not be the one you were hoping for.
BrianHoerner

Dassault dig into it, but never found an answer and said we should just rebuild files, yeh, know that already, but, what is causing it. i have been going back and forth with Dassault and also VAR for better part of 10 years as this happens off and on.

Templates are new , it is odd, and will be talking to VAR again next week, may call Mike Sabocheck to see if I can get SW involved again, but really not holding out hope, haven't found much on the old forums, maybe 3 notes :)
AlexLachance

BrianHoerner wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:15 pm Dassault dig into it, but never found an answer and said we should just rebuild files, yeh, know that already, but, what is causing it. i have been going back and forth with Dassault and also VAR for better part of 10 years as this happens off and on.

Templates are new , it is odd, and will be talking to VAR again next week, may call Mike Sabocheck to see if I can get SW involved again, but really not holding out hope, haven't found much on the old forums, maybe 3 notes :)

Wow, that would be an unacceptable answer on my side, especially concidering the ammount of money we fork to them every year. Have you ever been able to reproduce it 100% of the time or is it really random?

Post it on 3DSWYM and let the embarassment begin? :lol:
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Did someone left the part in edit mode?
Post the file next time you find one.

Files on network?
Users share files?
BrianHoerner

Alex, no sir, totally not intentionally reproducible, way random

Fredrick, not in edit mode, files either in PDM (previously on Workgroup pdm) or local, NEVER opened over network
mbiasotti

Unread post by mbiasotti »

I've seen this issue before - and I also cannot get it pinned-down as to what causes it. My first inclination would be configurations, or a combo of configurations with display states... I can usually resolve it, but never have figured out why, it just seems to eventually go away. I've got to believe that the primary suspect is configurations.
BrianHoerner

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the feedback, I saw you posted on this a long time ago on the old forum, appreciate the input.

Again, the oddest part is that if I open the parts that do this, unsupress them and save, close again and reopen all is well for a time....eventually it may come back, but not always on every part
mbiasotti

Unread post by mbiasotti »

@BrianHoerner - Yeah, like I say, I've never been able to pin it down to that "one thing" - it just seems to go away after a few rebuilds and saves of the part.

M