Solid Edge Properties Toolbar?

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
m2shell
Answers: 0

Solid Edge Properties Toolbar?

Unread post by m2shell »

I'm trying out a trial of SE.

Quick Question - Is there a toolbar for object properties so I don't have to RMB for the properties every time? Similar to the property Mgr on SW or the Properties toolbar on AutoCad? I've done some quick google searches and haven't found anything yet....

Thanks!
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Solid Edge Properties Toolbar?

Unread post by mike miller »

Assuming you're talking about file properties:

Go to Data Management >> Property Manager. You can display a BOM format, copy and paste values much like Excel, and customize it with dropdowns, etc.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

Thanks for the reply mike

Actually I'm looking for object properties. Just a toolbar to show me what editable properties are for the currently-selected item whether its in the drafting mode or part mode etc...
On second thought I guess there's a small toolbar which shows me some of this info... I guess i just wanted more detail....

My first day trying SE, so yeah.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

m2shell wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:42 pm Thanks for the reply mike

Actually I'm looking for object properties. Just a toolbar to show me what editable properties are for the currently-selected item whether its in the drafting mode or part mode etc...
On second thought I guess there's a small toolbar which shows me some of this info... I guess i just wanted more detail....

The object selection process / method is very different between the two IMO. This may be what you're feeling. I'm really struggling with SW selecting of things, especially in assembly. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like the other way around, to have SW selection method engrained in muscle memory then try out Solid Edge.
It seems for the most part in Edge you select what you want to do first, in Works first select the object then SW shows you what you can do with it.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

m2shell wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:42 pm Thanks for the reply mike

One thing that might help you when you're actually in edit mode or creating new geometry is switching themes to a more SWX-ish layout with fewer icons. Click the Application button (upper left-hand corner) and go to Settings >> Themes. Pick "Some Assistance".

I'd recommend doing at least a little bit of training before getting in too deep. Otherwise you'll just get frustrated, because it's NOT like SWX. You can access some free training here using the code SESCUSER. https://training.plm.automation.siemens.com/index.cfm
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

bnemec wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:00 pm
It seems for the most part in Edge you select what you want to do first, in Works first select the object then SW shows you what you can do with it.
Very helpful observation, @bnemec Thanks. Just a simple thought like that can help in wrap my mind around the UI differences

And, thanks @mike miller - I have done a few training things, I need to do a training session with the draft mode. I really like the SE HTML training modules - they are very easy to navigate and have really helped a great deal.

I am doing this investigation into SE with a certain degree of reluctance. I'm in the situation where my frustrations with SW are at the point where I just don't use the software as much as I used to, and instead have been leaning heavily on AutoCad*. However some recent "issues" with drawings came up which just never would have happened in SW because of the parametric constraints etc.

Most of my grievances with SW are in the creation of drawings, and those complaints all revolve around speed and reliability of the interface. For instance, as I write this, my SW drawing just will not show me some of the hidden edges for a part, no matter how much I mess with the display settings. It is just so frustrating and exhausting to have to dink around with the shortcomings of the interface to do something simple.

Of course no matter what software direction I go in, frustrations will follow. But for SW things do seem to be trending downward in several directions at once. It is hard to overstate how great the loss of the old SW forum was. CadForum is great, and is my go-to now. But SW forums had the advantage of being largely constrained to SW and perhaps contained the sense that Dassault still cared about SW users... Also, not for nothing the badges/ranking was pretty fun!

Alas, I digress.

* My primary deliverable to clients is 2D drawings, and Autocad does allow to make some really nice drawings....
m2shell

Unread post by m2shell »

I'm also considering a switch because of the Synchronous thing. I haven't (yet) conceived of needing/wanting it for general design, BUT here's a scenario: Meeting with client and reviewing the 3d Models on my laptop, and we're trying to come up with a better idea. It's really not easy in SW to quickly stretch something or make quick changes. You often have to go into the part (or edit it within the assembly) and adjust the sketch, etc. So I can easily see a situation where the Synchronous design method could be an asset.
tsmith

Unread post by tsmith »

Similar question, is there a 'format painter' or 'paintbrush' tool for pasting formats from one text box onto another?
For a brief moment I was hopeful that Copy Attributes would work... but that is limited to Dimensions and Annotations?

I did discern that I could ctrl click several text boxes and make group changes, but for the changes to stick they all had to be the same size text. Odd.

On making the switch... After a few months with SE, I'm pretty sure it is better.
It is a little more constrained, especially if you like to go hog wild and make jumbo / crazy multibody parts, SE won't let you do that, but the edit in place features actually work, so it's not an issue, just 'rigorous'.
Side bonus, your BOM's work.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

tsmith wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:59 am Side bonus, your BOM's work.
YES! The amount of BOM control they offer just blows SW out of the country!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.