A good place/way to learn

Toolpaths, cutters, schemes, software. hardware, etc.
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

A good place/way to learn

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

I'm interested in learning more about the fundamentals of CNC/milling design. I know the best way would be to go work in a machine shop, but I can't do that full time, so I thought I'd ask here:

1. If I was able to approach a machine shop to ask to shadow/apprentice, what would be the best pitch or ask to make?

2. Are there any guides, books, etc. that anyone could point me to for getting more than what I've found on sites like Xometry or Protolabs (they're helpful but only go so far)?

3. Any other recommendations? I'd love to get a tabletop-hobby mill at some point, and that's a tricky proposition on many fronts, but if anyone has other ideas or a recommendation on an inexpensive, reasonably quality machine, I'm interested to hear!
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: A good place/way to learn

Unread post by SPerman »

I was going to suggest a benchtop mill, but if that is out of the budget, you could get a 3d printer. Take the print head off and replace it with a sharpie. That will at least get your feet wet with G-Code. You could even do your programming in SW (or your software of choice.) With a little ingenuity you could replace the hot end with a dremel, and use styrafoam as your stock. Now you have a benchtop CNC 3 axis mill.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:18 pm I was going to suggest a benchtop mill, but if that is out of the budget, you could get a 3d printer. Take the print head off and replace it with a sharpie. That will at least get your feet wet with G-Code. You could even do your programming in SW (or your software of choice.) With a little ingenuity you could replace the hot end with a dremel, and use styrafoam as your stock. Now you have a benchtop CNC 3 axis mill.
Ahh, handwriting Gcode. That brings back good memories. I always enjoyed writing an efficient program that handles changes well; much like CAD models. If I ever resigned from engineering I'd go back to machining in a hurry.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

SPerman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:18 pm I was going to suggest a benchtop mill, but if that is out of the budget, you could get a 3d printer. Take the print head off and replace it with a sharpie. That will at least get your feet wet with G-Code. You could even do your programming in SW (or your software of choice.) With a little ingenuity you could replace the hot end with a dremel, and use styrafoam as your stock. Now you have a benchtop CNC 3 axis mill.
My first thought was a Dremel zip tied to a 3D printer! ;;

I'm sure there are DIY projects out there similar to this, I'll have to do some searching around. As for creating/modding G-code, I've done some modifications by hand for 3D prints, but now I'm thinking of how to model the negative space of something that would be milled, using a slicer to generate the G-Code, and then reversing the commands (since printers start from the bottom and mills from the top)....interesting.

mike miller wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:34 am Ahh, handwriting Gcode. That brings back good memories. I always enjoyed writing an efficient program that handles changes well; much like CAD models. If I ever resigned from engineering I'd go back to machining in a hurry.
Any recommendations on what might be a reasonable pitch to a machine shop to allow me to get some 'free' training? I'm curious if I could do an exchange for services of some kind, learn machining but do some grunt work (or whatever they'd need) in exchange.