Custom Line Styles in Drawings (Zig-zag)

Austin Schukar
Answers: 1

Custom Line Styles in Drawings (Zig-zag)

Unread post by Austin Schukar »

I'm wondering about creating a custom line style, similar to AutoCAD, by modifying this file:

<install_dir>\SOLIDWORKS\lang\<language>\Swlines.lin

I don't see how to include shapes, symbols, text, etc. into the formatting. Is there a trick that I'm not seeing, or am I limited to only creating linetypes that consist of dashes, spaces, lines?
Austin
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Custom Line Styles in Drawings (Zig-zag)

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Austin Schukar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:46 pm I'm wondering about creating a custom line style, similar to AutoCAD, by modifying this file:

I don't see how to include shapes, symbols, text, etc. into the formatting. Is there a trick that I'm not seeing, or am I limited to only creating linetypes that consist of dashes, spaces, lines?
Pretty sure you are limited to length of solid segment and length of break....

https://solid-blog.pl/tworzenie-wlasneg ... h/?lang=en

although I have been entirely wrong before...
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Austin Schukar

DanPihlaja wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:54 pm Pretty sure you are limited to length of solid segment and length of break....

https://solid-blog.pl/tworzenie-wlasneg ... h/?lang=en

although I have been entirely wrong before...
That's the conclusion that I've come to as well. Here's to hoping that some wizard can set us straight. grumph
Austin
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

I thought that a Revision Cloud may be useful to try this. However, its only controls are minimum arc radius and Line Style, also defined as linear-only types of gaps and dashes.

I've made similar 'constructs' where a straight line is drawn on a layout layer which I later turn to hidden, then I sketch a series of parallel lines across it and define each as equal length. You could make this a library block, which could be inserted, exploded and then and dragging its ends would lengthen it, but it would have the same number of zigs and zags, only larger or with a more obtuse angle between them, depending on its relations applied.

You could instead, not explode it and line multiples of these up to make a longer line. Maybe explode the end blocks where you'd like to trim it.

This is still not what you want, but a kludge that is difficult to manage and repeat.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Tom G wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:25 pm I thought that a Revision Cloud may be useful to try this. However, its only controls are minimum arc radius and Line Style, also defined as linear-only types of gaps and dashes.

I've made similar 'constructs' where a straight line is drawn on a layout layer which I later turn to hidden, then I sketch a series of parallel lines across it and define each as equal length. You could make this a library block, which could be inserted, exploded and then and dragging its ends would lengthen it, but it would have the same number of zigs and zags, only larger or with a more obtuse angle between them, depending on its relations applied.

You could instead, not explode it and line multiples of these up to make a longer line. Maybe explode the end blocks where you'd like to trim it.

This is still not what you want, but a kludge that is difficult to manage and repeat.

Well, on that note, you cold probably draw in 1 zig and 1 zag, then pattern it...or whatever... (click on the pic below for the GIF file)
Media1(3).gif
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

Austin Schukar wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:46 pm I'm wondering about creating a custom line style, similar to AutoCAD, by modifying this file:

The AutoCAD zig-zag is a marriage of two files. The .lin file and a corresponding .shp (shape) file. SW only mimics the .lin part.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Just curious where you would use this? I can' think of anytime I've wanted to do this on a drawing in SolidWorks.....maybe AutoCAD for doing break views I guess.
Jason
Austin Schukar

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:01 pm Just curious where you would use this? I can' think of anytime I've wanted to do this on a drawing in SolidWorks.....maybe AutoCAD for doing break views I guess.
Good question. Really is just personal preference. I use Crop View quite a bit, and really prefer something like CATIA's clipped view linetype for the clipped borders. Something like this...It's just what I'm used to seeing, that's all. AFAIK the only border options for cropped views in SW are: None, solid, and jagged. Detail view allows you to set a border linetype, lineweight, etc. and it's curious that they don't allow it for cropped views as well?
Austin
Austin Schukar

JSculley wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:50 pm The AutoCAD zig-zag is a marriage of two files. The .lin file and a corresponding .shp (shape) file. SW only mimics the .lin part.
I've gathered as much, a bit unfortunate. It was pretty trivial to set up all of our own line types in AutoCAD with the system lin/shp files. I did see, though, that SW Electrical could customize linetypes a bit more than general SW. That was just at a glance, so I could be wrong.
Austin
Austin Schukar

Tom G wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:25 pm I thought that a Revision Cloud may be useful to try this. However, its only controls are minimum arc radius and Line Style, also defined as linear-only types of gaps and dashes.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. I don't mind utilizing a kludge in this case :)
Austin
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Austin Schukar wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:04 pm Good question. Really is just personal preference. I use Crop View quite a bit, and really prefer something like CATIA's clipped view linetype for the clipped borders. Something like this...It's just what I'm used to seeing, that's all. AFAIK the only border options for cropped views in SW are: None, solid, and jagged. Detail view allows you to set a border linetype, lineweight, etc. and it's curious that they don't allow it for cropped views as well?
Something like this?

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

In one previous use, I wanted to indicate that a series of systems were connected to the same linear pipe header, without the additional load of the complete assembly from which to crop or break the view. Each system was a subassembly, and included an enveloped partial representation of the continuous header. I created zig-zag cuts at the header's ends, twice to show in both plan and front views. The sheets containing system views only showed that subassembly.

That is, I placed the Zig-Zag inside the solid body, to appear in its view. There's always more than one way to achieve desired results in context.

It was also a reaction to the drawing limitation that a Break view cannot be open-ended, but must also show the far end of the view, AFAIK using 2018. I did not want to show the irrelevant extent end in a break view detailing a 'middle part', so I represented what I desired by another means.

This may sound tedious, but it was far more productive than viewing the very large assembly in drawings where it was not necessary.
Austin Schukar

Tom G wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:06 pm In one previous use, I wanted to indicate that a series of systems were connected to the same linear pipe header, without the additional load of the complete assembly from which to crop or break the view. Each system was a subassembly, and included an enveloped partial representation of the continuous header. I created zig-zag cuts at the header's ends, twice to show in both plan and front views. The sheets containing system views only showed that subassembly.

That is, I placed the Zig-Zag inside the solid body, to appear in its view. There's always more than one way to achieve desired results in context.

It was also a reaction to the drawing limitation that a Break view cannot be open-ended, but must also show the far end of the view, AFAIK using 2018. I did not want to show the irrelevant extent end in a break view detailing a 'middle part', so I represented what I desired by another means.

This may sound tedious, but it was far more productive than viewing the very large assembly in drawings where it was not necessary.
This is also another use-case that I ran into, just last week (Break view limitation). Good point!
Austin
Austin Schukar

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:43 pm Something like this?

image.png
Hey Glenn, I do know about the Jagged option, and while it may seem silly, I like the looks of a more 'organized' break/outline to the view. Jagged, to me, is not desirable. Hope that makes sense
Austin
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@Austin Schukar ASME Y14.3 standard seems to go with the jagged option for broken view edges.
image.png
image.png
Of course, oddly enough, SolidWorks gives you the option you want on "Break Views"
image.png
Jason