Moving from SW PDM Standard to Pro

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
VTmechie
Answers: 0

Moving from SW PDM Standard to Pro

Unread post by VTmechie »

Has anyone upgraded their vault from PDM Standard to Pro? This is being pushed on to me from higher up, and I don't want to do anything that will possibly mess up my vault or day to day job.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Re: Moving from SW PDM Standard to Pro

Unread post by AlexB »

I imagine it would be like any other vault migration or upgrade.

When moving to PDM professional, your company will have to purchase licensing for SQL Server Standard. It's possible that additional hardware for the server to run may be required.

You'll have to migrate your SQL Express database to the new SQL Standard database. I've not done this so I don't know the specific steps.

The remaining steps of configuring everything during an upgrade are outlined pretty well online by VARs such as CATI, Javelin, Hawk Ridge, etc.

Now, with all that said, you have a VAR and they offer installation as a service. Get a quote for a standard to professional upgrade. If you're uncomfortable with the process, which is understandable if you are, then they will be able to perform the upgrade with your assistance and you'll know more about how to do this for future updates.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: Moving from SW PDM Standard to Pro

Unread post by jcapriotti »

VTmechie wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:13 pm Has anyone upgraded their vault from PDM Standard to Pro? This is being pushed on to me from higher up, and I don't want to do anything that will possibly mess up my vault or day to day job.
I would do this in a test environment first to check. But that said, I feel there is little risk as SQL express and PDM standard are really the fully products but with features capped. Once you switch the license, you have the full versions. There isn't a migration of data like there was with the old PDM/Works workgroup to PDM Pro migration.
Jason