Generic Pet Peeves

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Generic Pet Peeves

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

There is already one for Solidworks, but sometimes we have things get under our skin that are unrelated to software. It's generally the organic beings we interact with.

Here's my first example. It's clients that send us pdf's with drawings, and they need to be rotated before I can read them. Yes, I know it's not that difficult for me to rotate them, but it boggles my mind that someone would send out a drawing that way. I couldn't do it.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Generic Pet Peeves

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

People leave voice msg: "Call me"
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

The guy who is ruining the morale of the good employees because he brags about how little he actually does during the day. (And the boss who won't fire anybody, for any reason.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
the_h4mmer
Answers: 1

Unread post by the_h4mmer »

When people go against their word
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

When you attend a meeting and are asked if there is an issue moving a server to Azure, and they tell you it must be moved, no exceptions?

And now we have issues....... o[
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

jcapriotti wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:26 am When you attend a meeting and are asked if there is an issue moving a server to Azure, and they tell you it must be moved, no exceptions?

And now we have issues....... o[
Well at least they asked. :lol:
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

"Why can't I email .exe files? The IT department just makes up stupid rules for no good reason."

grumph

(Edit: That is the grief I get from others. Not my view.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:37 pm There is already one for Solidworks, but sometimes we have things get under our skin that are unrelated to software. It's generally the organic beings we interact with.

Here's my first example. It's clients that send us pdf's with drawings, and they need to be rotated before I can read them. Yes, I know it's not that difficult for me to rotate them, but it boggles my mind that someone would send out a drawing that way. I couldn't do it.
image.png
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:39 pmimage.png
image.png
image.png (10.64 KiB) Viewed 18645 times
Not only are you, Matt, the answer to that question, but you are the answer to so many more! UU
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

SPerman wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:15 pm "Why can't I email .exe files? The IT department just makes up stupid rules for no good reason."

grumph

Even worse, why can't I open .exe files in the emails I receive?...
jcapriotti

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:54 pm Even worse, why can't I open .exe files in the emails I receive?...
Because you are a danger to yourself. The next step is to stop all EXEs from executing and move everything to the harmonious cloud where there are no more files for you to hurt yourself with.
Jason
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Cross threaded twist ties. It should tighten clockwise, like a screw.
Glenn Schroeder

When someone is driving 5 mph under the speed limit, and won't move out of the left lane, it should be legal to run them off the road.

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I am about to drive home in the rain, which means everyone on the interstate will be driving 40 mph, with their flashers on, in all 4 lanes.

I have no problem if you are afraid of driving on wet roads, but please, get the heck out of the far left lane.
-
Frederick_Law

jcapriotti wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:27 am Because you are a danger to yourself. The next step is to stop all EXEs from executing and move everything to the harmonious cloud where there are no more files for you to hurt yourself with.
I can send you a reg file to block all exe files.
You'll be surprise how many IT didn't block running of reg file.
Frederick_Law

SPerman wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:20 pm I have no problem if you are afraid of driving on wet roads, but please, get the heck out of the far left lane.
If anyone is afraid to drive, get a Uber, taxi, bus, or walk.
jcapriotti

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:25 pm I can send you a reg file to block all exe files.
You'll be surprise how many IT didn't block running of reg file.
Our company approach now is to block everything, then only unblock selective stuff based on what needs it. More secure I suppose, but business slows to a crawl as you have to open tickets and justify every change. The red tape get thicker and thicker.
Jason
Frederick_Law

If you see your computer has Sophos, good luck. It default to block everything. It was blocking Soildworks bug report because of .ASPX or something like that in web connection. Took them a few days to figure out how to unblock it.
jcapriotti

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:36 pm If you see your computer has Sophos, good luck. It default to block everything. It was blocking Soildworks bug report because of .ASPX or something like that in web connection. Took them a few days to figure out how to unblock it.
Haven't seen that one but our PCs have Win Defender, McAfee, and Carbon Black. When something stops working or works very slowly it becomes a game of hunt for the offending antivirus software. Had a couple of PDM reports that are run from EXE files that went from 5 seconds to 5-10 minutes. Windows Defender was the culprit but no one could tells us why or how to fix it. Not every PC would exhibit the behavior either.
Jason
Frederick_Law

Check extension of the report file. Add it to exception.
CAD program like to create a temp file first and rename it at the end.
So the temp file could have another extension.
If possible, add all CAD file extension to exception.
Also where does the EXE create file, local or server?
jcapriotti

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:45 am Check extension of the report file. Add it to exception.
CAD program like to create a temp file first and rename it at the end.
So the temp file could have another extension.
If possible, add all CAD file extension to exception.
Also where does the EXE create file, local or server?
It doesn't create any files. It resides on a server and we have PDM buttons on the data cards that launch them. The report is generated at runtime. The GUI takes 5 minutes to come up, not the report running part, which is normal once the programs opens.

Also, we can't just add exceptions. We must open a ticket which has to get approved so an outside company can make the changes. It was all so simple when we handled this internally. Now we work with outside companies to become more secure.
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

There was a time, back in the ancient days of computers, where the OS didn't try and "help" you select text. You put the cursor where you wanted the selection to begin, and drug it to where you wanted the selection to end. I hate the fact that Windows decides it knows what you want to select. 95% of the time it is wrong, and takes much effort to only select the text I want.
-
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:53 am There was a time, back in the ancient days of computers, where the OS didn't try and "help" you select text. You put the cursor where you wanted the selection to begin, and drug it to where you wanted the selection to end. I hate the fact that Windows decides it knows what you want to select. 95% of the time it is wrong, and takes much effort to only select the text I want.
We use Outlook for email here. It's especially bad about that.

DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:23 am We use Outlook for email here. It's especially bad about that.
I have resorted to using SHIFT + arrow keys to select text.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:54 pm Even worse, why can't I open .exe files in the emails I receive?...
Why did my screen go blank and say "Pay $2000 to regain access to your computer" when I opened a .exe on a email I received?....
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

SPerman wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:15 pm "Why can't I email .exe files? The IT department just makes up stupid rules for no good reason."

grumph

Change your extension and leave a note. :twisted:
"Please change the extension to exe" :lol:
Who cares about the rules. (don't let the boss hear!) :mrgreen:

Not:I am currently using this method.
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SPerman wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:53 am There was a time, back in the ancient days of computers, where the OS didn't try and "help" you select text. You put the cursor where you wanted the selection to begin, and drug it to where you wanted the selection to end. I hate the fact that Windows decides it knows what you want to select. 95% of the time it is wrong, and takes much effort to only select the text I want.
Just discovered this by experimenting with it.

Click. Hold ALT. Drag your selection and it won't jump to whole words.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Glenn Schroeder

About 10:30 this morning I got a pop-up that Solidworks couldn't connect to the server, and it shut down. I checked with a coworker, who reported the same issue. I immediately called IT, told the guy what had happened, and that the problem was on their end. He logged into my computer and pharted around for about four hours, and then told me the problem was on their end.

Frederick_Law

Same thing when I contact reseller.
Usually I'll test laptop on cell network to make sure it's SW problem.
Glenn Schroeder

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:20 am Same thing when I contact reseller.
Usually I'll test laptop on cell network to make sure it's SW problem.
At least it was fixed yesterday morning when I got to work.

Glenn Schroeder

While I generate most of the drawings we use here to construct the test installations, we sometimes get drawings from the client. They want to save money and have them done in-house. The quality is often "questionable".

Our construction supervisor just showed me a set and said there seemed to be a discrepancy between the drawing views and the BOM quantities. What did I think he should do?

My answer: "Do nothing until you get clarification from the client. Make no assumptions."

DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 am While I generate most of the drawings we use here to construct the test installations, we sometimes get drawings from the client. They want to save money and have them done in-house. The quality is often "questionable".

Our construction supervisor just showed me a set and said there seemed to be a discrepancy between the drawing views and the BOM quantities. What did I think he should do?

My answer: "Do nothing until you get clarification from the client. Make no assumptions."
I absolutely hate it when I (or another designer here) have made a mistake and the vendor sees that mistake and then makes an assumption as to what I might have meant, and then moves on with the $10,000+ project without picking up the phone or sending an email.

People who do that more than once will lose their business from me. I don't care how hot the project is.

Everyone makes mistakes....but if you see one....call it out....find out why or what or who...
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

There should be an international standard for Pan/Tilt/Zoom mouse key combinations.
-
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:49 pm There should be an international standard for Pan/Tilt/Zoom mouse key combinations.
I agree, and Google maps has it backwards. Rolling the wheel toward you should zoom in. And that's not just because I'm prejudiced toward the default behavior with Solidworks. It seems counterintuitive to me to roll the scroll wheel away to zoom in.

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:53 pm Rolling the wheel toward you should zoom in.
I would agree with you, but you're wrong. :)

As long as they give you the option to invert, I'm happy. Not all software has that option.
-
jcapriotti

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:53 pm I agree, and Google maps has it backwards. Rolling the wheel toward you should zoom in. And that's not just because I'm prejudiced toward the default behavior with Solidworks. It seems counterintuitive to me to roll the scroll wheel away to zoom in.
Fall back or fall forward.....

SolidWorks feel more nature since it's how a 3d mouse work, push the part away (Roll up), and pull the part toward you (Roll down) But a lot of programs have seemed to standardize based on how Photoshop works so maybe 2D systems are to blame.
Jason
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

jcapriotti wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:27 pm Fall back or fall forward.....

SolidWorks feel more nature since it's how a 3d mouse work, push the part away (Roll up), and pull the part toward you (Roll down) But a lot of programs have seemed to standardize based on how Photoshop works so maybe 2D systems are to blame.
Actually every other system, Outlook, Word, File Explorer, etc. you roll towards you to zoom in. This a DEEP rabbit hole you could spend pages debating...
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Frederick_Law

And the fact that you can change scroll direction in Windows.
jcapriotti

When users just put anything and everything in PDM.......no.....just no. grumph
image.png
@bnemec Surely you never have this happen?
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:54 pm When users just put anything and everything in PDM.......no.....just no. grumph

image.png

@bnemec Surely you never have this happen?
:lol:

Actually, more of the opposite. People trying to avoid the vault for things that must go in. Things like CAD files for example.

You must have a much better vault implementation than we do. <()>
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

bnemec wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:21 pm :lol:

Actually, more of the opposite. People trying to avoid the vault for things that must go in. Things like CAD files for example.

You must have a much better vault implementation than we do. <()>
Turn this on for your user's warnings. They won't be able to check anything in even if one little thing is outside the vault. This will force them to be all-in or not-in-at-all.
image.png
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexB wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:50 pm Turn this on for your user's warnings. They won't be able to check anything in even if one little thing is outside the vault. This will force them to be all-in or not-in-at-all.
image.png
Yep, that's been checked since shortly after migration. There's just not much love of the vault here yet/still.

But as Jason pointed out there is some litter that shows up. We set up the "Add to Vault" filters pretty strict though.
AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

bnemec wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:01 pm There's just not much love of the vault here yet/still.
Yeah, that seems to be pretty common for a lot of folks around here as well. They begrudgingly use it though.
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:01 pm Yep, that's been checked since shortly after migration. There's just not much love of the vault here yet/still.

But as Jason pointed out there is some litter that shows up. We set up the "Add to Vault" filters pretty strict though.
In this case the files weren't checked in, still in the private state, however they are secretly uploaded on drag and drop. Also had another user with a folder called "Desktop" and an image file alluding to it being credit card information. <()>
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:58 pm In this case the files weren't checked in, still in the private state, however they are secretly uploaded on drag and drop. Also had another user with a folder called "Desktop" and an image file alluding to it being credit card information. <()>
That might take the prize! Did they also share a pic of SS Card and DL?

I have not seen Documents or Downloads in the vault yet. So people here still trust the roaming profiles more than PDM. :roll:

I moved changed the location for Documents, Downloads etc. to local path; I have one of the shortest login/out waits.
Frederick_Law

Wait till someone drag and drop Vault into anther Vault folder.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:10 pm Wait till someone drag and drop Vault into anther Vault folder.
Oh that was done several times by several people in the first 72 hrs

image.png

As well as obsoleted (changed state) on a top level files along with every single component in the extended BOM too.
Frederick_Law

Thanks, I'll copy that.
Corporate use PDM and SW, not changing that.
Locally we use Vault and IV. I need to make some changes.
Uncle_Hairball
Answers: 2

Unread post by Uncle_Hairball »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:23 am We use Outlook for email here. It's especially bad about that.
You can turn that 'feature' off in MS Office applications, including Outlook.
Glenn Schroeder

Uncle_Hairball wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:09 pm You can turn that 'feature' off in MS Office applications, including Outlook.
Would you mind explaining the process?