iOS: LIDAR 3D SCANNING SUPPORT WITH AUTOMATIC MESH

Discuss Onshape with other users
bryan5
Answers: 0

iOS: LIDAR 3D SCANNING SUPPORT WITH AUTOMATIC MESH

Unread post by bryan5 »

If you head to the Onshape Forum and check out the latest 3 week release update. Scroll to the IOS mobile feature and check out this cool new feature in Onshape.

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18 ... ifq#latest
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: iOS: LIDAR 3D SCANNING SUPPORT WITH AUTOMATIC MESH

Unread post by AlexLachance »

That is simply awesome Bryan! I'm out of words to describe how in awe I am, that this will allow for people to scan a model from their phone, rather then having to buy the expensive scanner!

Any idea if it will be brought towards Android eventually?
bryan5

Unread post by bryan5 »

I hope it is brought to Android. Onshape does tend to lean towards IOS functionality to come out first
Arthur NY

Unread post by Arthur NY »

To be sure.... the accuracy and precision being captured with phones/tablets isn't something that anyone would really quantity as really good. Granted this may definitely be different 5 years from now, but this is not replacing the need for highly detailed work that's done with handheld, white light, laser scanners.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

This would be a great demo for one of your user group meetings.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bryan5

Unread post by bryan5 »

There is going to be an Onshape quarterly review on August 4th that will comer the iOS LIDAR SCANNING.

https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-cen ... lqcsid=926
Arthur NY

Unread post by Arthur NY »

Again to put this a better comparison..... using your phone for 3D scanning would be like trying to use Sketch Up to as if it were Solidworks, Inventor, or OnShape.....

Am just trying to help set expectations. The apps and hardware on the phones can no be used as a replacement for what real metrology scanners can do. MAYBE is 3 - 5 years it might be possible. The new SDK kit that Apple has out in beta right now is an interesting leap in many ways but leaves much to be desired. Also OnShape doesn't do that well once larger mesh data sets starting getting imported and the "mesh tools" are a far cry from what would be really necessary to work with this kind of 3D data.
bryan5

Unread post by bryan5 »

Greg Brown and Jay Tedeschi are excellent presenters. I hope they demonstrate the new functionality on the Perrinn 424 electric Hypercar project they have been collaborating with.