SW2022 SP2 (Maybe SP1?) sometimes not saving Tessellation data in Assemblies

josh
Answers: 11

SW2022 SP2 (Maybe SP1?) sometimes not saving Tessellation data in Assemblies

Unread post by josh »

Has anyone here experienced this? We updated a month or two ago and didn't have any issues during the design process. However, those projects are now hitting the assembly floor. Our assembly techs use eDrawings to open the assemblies directly as they do their work, and we've found that quite a few of our assemblies can't be opened in eDrawings. They all bring up the error that the assembly needs to be saved in SW'98 or later to be opened in eDrawings. They also don't have a thumbnail saved, so they show the generic SW assembly icon in Windows Explorer, and the file size is in the tens of KB instead of MB. Opening the file in SW and then immediately hitting save fixes the issue for that file, at least at that moment. I haven't yet been able to intentionally recreate the issue yet, although we just discovered this yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced this? You should be able to figure out pretty quickly by searching a directory for *.sldasm and viewing the thumbnails (or lack thereof), and confirm by trying to open in eDrawings or LDR mode in SW.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: SW2022 SP2 (Maybe SP1?) sometimes not saving Tessellation data in Assemblies

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Howdy Josh,

I don't use Edrawings much, so I wouldn't have run into it, but I don't remember anyone else saying anything about it here or at the official forum.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: SW2022 SP2 (Maybe SP1?) sometimes not saving Tessellation data in Assemblies

Unread post by jcapriotti »

josh wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:24 pm Has anyone here experienced this? We updated a month or two ago and didn't have any issues during the design process. However, those projects are now hitting the assembly floor. Our assembly techs use eDrawings to open the assemblies directly as they do their work, and we've found that quite a few of our assemblies can't be opened in eDrawings. They all bring up the error that the assembly needs to be saved in SW'98 or later to be opened in eDrawings. They also don't have a thumbnail saved, so they show the generic SW assembly icon in Windows Explorer, and the file size is in the tens of KB instead of MB. Opening the file in SW and then immediately hitting save fixes the issue for that file, at least at that moment. I haven't yet been able to intentionally recreate the issue yet, although we just discovered this yesterday.

Has anyone else experienced this? You should be able to figure out pretty quickly by searching a directory for *.sldasm and viewing the thumbnails (or lack thereof), and confirm by trying to open in eDrawings or LDR mode in SW.
Is there a configuration with everything suppressed that is active when saved. That was a trick to reduce file size that some users may have tried.
Jason
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Nope, nothing screwy like that. A lot of these assemblies are ones I created myself. When you open them in SW nothing appears different or amiss - nothing suppressed or anything. All you have to do to restore the tess data is just open the file, save it, and close it.

I thought maybe the tess data was getting dumped from assemblies that were inside other assemblies. Like if the subassembly was not open in its own window and something changed, it would dump the tess data. But I tried forcing that by opening only a main assembly and then making a change to a dimension in the subassembly. No dice - subassembly retained its tessellation data.
RonE
Answers: 2

Unread post by RonE »

You could try to enable "Update model graphics when saving files" in the assembly system options (in my test cases it worked reliably only for referenced documents that weren't open in their own window when saving the assembly).
If you have multiple configurations in the documents you could try to "Add Display Data Mark" (LargeDesignReviewMark Property (IConfiguration)).