Why can't my Assembly move when I insert it into another Assembly?

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Why can't my Assembly move when I insert it into another Assembly?

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Hello,

Click on the sub-assembly in the main Assembly tree and select the icon shown below. That will allow it to have the same amount of freedom it has in its own file.

image.png

That icon hasn't always been available, so if you're using an older version of SW and it's not there, you can still get there.
Select the Component Properties icon instead . . .

image.png

. . . and select "Flexible" under "Solve as".

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Why can't my Assembly move when I insert it into another Assembly?

Unread post by bnemec »

Nice!
Is there a way to set an assembly to be set to Flexible whenever it is inserted into another assembly? Sub-assemblies like hinges or dampers are inherently flexible and should default to that most places they are used.
Glenn Schroeder

bnemec wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:19 pm Nice!
Is there a way to set an assembly to be set to Flexible whenever it is inserted into another assembly? Sub-assemblies like hinges or dampers are inherently flexible and should default to that most places they are used.
Not that I'm aware of, and I'm fairly certain there isn't one.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:17 am Not that I'm aware of, and I'm fairly certain there isn't one.
OK thanks.

Another question if you don't mind. What if I have several occurrences of one sub-assembly inserted and set to flexible, but they are used in different positions. For example, the same hydraulic cylinder used for several functions. Is there anything I need to do so that each occurrence can move independently?

Also, if the cylinder assembly model had several configs; extend, retract and float. Then in the upper-level assembly can one occurrence be using the "float" config and be set to flexible while another occurrence of the same cylinder sub-assembly is set to use the "extend" config to lock the connected linkage in the upper-level assembly?

I guess that was two questions.
Glenn Schroeder

bnemec wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:53 am OK thanks.

Another question if you don't mind. What if I have several occurrences of one sub-assembly inserted and set to flexible, but they are used in different positions. For example, the same hydraulic cylinder used for several functions. Is there anything I need to do so that each occurrence can move independently?

Also, if the cylinder assembly model had several configs; extend, retract and float. Then in the upper-level assembly can one occurrence be using the "float" config and be set to flexible while another occurrence of the same cylinder sub-assembly is set to use the "extend" config to lock the connected linkage in the upper-level assembly?

I don't like giving definitive answers to questions if I'm not sure, and I don't have time to test right now, but I will come back and edit this in the future. (Edit: See the response below from @DennisD.)

In the meantime, for your first question, I believe that will work fine. You just need to set each instance as flexible.

Second question, yes, I think that's correct.

DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Yes, you can have multiple instances of a floating subassembly and they are treated independently. I do this all the time using just the example you cite - cylinders. I have three configurations: Extended, Retracted, Free Stroke, where the Free Stroke has a limit distance mate that allows travel between the extended and retracted positions. I do this for springs as well.

In the top level assembly the flexible subassy is influenced by its mates in that top level, within the freedom allowed by that configuration of the subassy.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

DennisD wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:12 am Yes, you can have multiple instances of a floating subassembly and they are treated independently. I do this all the time using just the example you cite - cylinders. I have three configurations: Extended, Retracted, Free Stroke, where the Free Stroke has a limit distance mate that allows travel between the extended and retracted positions. I do this for springs as well.

In the top level assembly the flexible subassy is influenced by its mates in that top level, within the freedom allowed by that configuration of the subassy.
Thanks Dennis. Do you model springs as assemblies? I assume to get better movement behavior in upper level assemblies?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

DennisD wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:12 am Yes, you can have multiple instances of a floating subassembly and they are treated independently. I do this all the time using just the example you cite - cylinders. I have three configurations: Extended, Retracted, Free Stroke, where the Free Stroke has a limit distance mate that allows travel between the extended and retracted positions. I do this for springs as well.

This is exactly how I handle cylinders / actuators as well.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

bnemec wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:27 am Thanks Dennis. Do you model springs as assemblies? I assume to get better movement behavior in upper level assemblies?
I saw this technique about ten years ago and jumped all over it. It simulates a spring in an assembly and is easy to modify for the wire and coil diameters. It is only a little more involved to add coils, but once a person builds a library of these it is so handy!
Attachments
Spring-Dynamic Motion, Virtual Assy SWX2020.mp4
(310.66 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Spring-Dynamic Motion, Virtual Assy SWX2020.SLDASM
(443.13 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Yes, this is entirely possible. Warning! With larger assemblies, flexible becomes flakier and flakier.

Yes, this is also possible. If you have 20 instances of an assembly, you can designate 15 of them to be flexible, but the other 5 can be specific configurations. You can even make a pattern of sub assemblies and designate SOME of the pattern instances as flexible and some as derived from a specific configuration. And when you move the flexible ones, they do not affect any of the others (this includes the original one).

See answers above in red
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14