Working with Multiple Configurations in BOM

dave.laban
Answers: 4

Working with Multiple Configurations in BOM

Unread post by dave.laban »

Having some trouble getting my BOM to look how I want so hoping for advice.

I'm working on an assembly that is available in different colour options. The different colours are achieved by having one of the sub-components painted in a different colour.

So I have one top level assembly file with different configurations set up for colours. There is one sub-component that also has different configurations to represent the different colours. I have my BOM setup to "Display configurations of the same part as separate items" to show that the different coloured assemblies use the different coloured parts (as desired).
image.png
Where this becomes a problem is that I have a two cables used in this assembly too. It's the same part but it's set up in two configurations to cope with the fact that the start/end points go to different places in the assembly. However this means I have the item showing up as two rows of QTY x1 in my BOM, rather than one row of QTY x2
image.png
Is there any way I can hack the BOM around to show some components as different rows by configuration, but not others? Or is there any kind of sideways thinking that will get me to a similar destination while maintaining the design intent?
by JSculley » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:16 am
Is there any way I can hack the BOM around to show some components as different rows by configuration, but not others?
There is an SPR (623867) requesting component-by-component control of the Display configurations of the same part as separate items option.
Or is there any kind of sideways thinking that will get me to a similar destination while maintaining the design intent?
Display states. For your cable, make one configuration with all the cable paths (using multiple bodies). Create display states for each individual path where you hide all the bodies that aren't part of that particular path.
Go to full post
XHawkeye
Answers: 1

Re: Working with Multiple Configurations in BOM

Unread post by XHawkeye »

Have assemblies with cables shown for routing purposes only (cable dwgs are ACAD) using a SW file with multiple configs with repeat part numbers.

This is how the BOM is set
Capture137.JPG
Capture137.JPG (21.21 KiB) Viewed 647 times

Configurations in cable file. The [BOM P/N is shown in brackets]
Capture138.JPG
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

Is there any way I can hack the BOM around to show some components as different rows by configuration, but not others?
There is an SPR (623867) requesting component-by-component control of the Display configurations of the same part as separate items option.
Or is there any kind of sideways thinking that will get me to a similar destination while maintaining the design intent?
Display states. For your cable, make one configuration with all the cable paths (using multiple bodies). Create display states for each individual path where you hide all the bodies that aren't part of that particular path.
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

JSculley wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:16 am There is an SPR (623867) requesting component-by-component control of the Display configurations of the same part as separate items option.
Duly voted, thanks.

That might well be the way to go, hadn't considered that option in the slightest for cable assemblies (it also hasn't come up before as prior to this multiple colour product I'd always been able to use "Display all configurations of the same part as one item".)