Answers: 0

Re: Welcome!

Unread post by kawuser »

Making the move over trying to get use to the new layout. I am sure I will. :D
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

kawuser wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:19 pm Making the move over trying to get use to the new layout. I am sure I will. :D
Welcome! Hope you make this your new home for SW stuff.
jmongi

Unread post by jmongi »

Thanks Matt!
Designated Pot-Stirrer
CAD_Scratch_Fever

Unread post by CAD_Scratch_Fever »

Ahhh this is so pleasing to the old eyeballs! Thank you @matt! I am still wanting a bible if you have some laying around collecting dust... just saying!
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

CAD_Scratch_Fever wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:47 pm Ahhh this is so pleasing to the old eyeballs! Thank you @matt! I am still wanting a bible if you have some laying around collecting dust... just saying!
I have a 2010 edition on the shelf, but I don't plan on parting with it.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Bradfordzzz

Unread post by Bradfordzzz »

Oh Thank GOD. Soooo much better than that new SWYM. Really appreciate that this is here instead.
Thanks Guys !!
kawuser

Unread post by kawuser »

This will be my new home. Much easier to navigate here than 3DSwym.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

We now have 200 users!!!!!!!!
Welcome on board @mrcat233! You are user # 200! (if you don't count @cadforumadmin)

Wow! This place grew fast!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
MarkMorreale

Unread post by MarkMorreale »

Thanks for getting this set up Matt! Looking forward to the discussions that will take place here!
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

image.png
Here I am.....

asking the typical beginner questions is a good task for me...... oa
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Hansjoerg wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:26 pm image.png

Here I am.....

hey!
Glenn Schroeder

Hansjoerg wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:26 pm image.png

Here I am.....

I'm glad to see you here. Tell all your friends.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

matt

Unread post by matt »

Ladies and gentlemen Paul Salvador @zxys001 is in the house. ><
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 am Ladies and gentlemen Paul Salvador @zxys001 is in the house. ><

Hola, Matt! :D (and to all that have come here,...!)

btw... where are the beer points!? :lol:
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Glenn Schroeder

zxys001 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am
matt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:12 am Ladies and gentlemen Paul Salvador @zxys001 is in the house. ><

Howdy Paul,

It's good to see you here. I think the beer points drowned in the 3DSwamp, but if you're ever in my part of the country I'll be happy to buy you a beer (that goes for the rest of you too . . . or at least most of you).

zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:38 am
zxys001 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:16 am

Howdy Paul,

It's good to see you here. I think the beer points drowned in the 3DSwamp, but if you're ever in my part of the country I'll be happy to buy you a beer (that goes for the rest of you too . . . or at least most of you).
Hello Glenn... we're there! **
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Matthew

Unread post by Matthew »

Thanks for getting this replacement forum set up. I primarily lurked on the old SW forum, but the vast majority of the skill improvements I've picked up have been from the posters there. Hopefully with so much of the old braintrust already here, there will be enough word of mouth and activity to get some kind of appearance on google searches. I occasionally do training sessions to get people started with Solidworks and would previously suggest visiting the old SW forum for all of the random knowledge that was stored there. I'll be sure to point people here going forward though.

Thanks again for the new home, best of luck that things grow from here.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Honestly.....I did a little happy dance.... No one saw it though.....'cept you guys...
=) >< oa
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
B-K

Unread post by B-K »

Thank you for creating this forum :)
majo

Unread post by majo »

Many thanks for this awesome new forum @matt !

Cheers
Mario
RTFM or ask Mom!
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Welcome aboard @TusharSuradkar! I noticed you over on the SE forum.
image.png
We can definitely use more SE gurus on here!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 am Welcome aboard @TusharSuradkar! I noticed you over on the SE forum.
image.png
We can definitely use more SE gurus on here!
YAY!!! Hi Tushar! ><

Now Matt has someone else to brag up ST with him here!
TusharSuradkar

Unread post by TusharSuradkar »

Hi @Jaylin Hochstetler
Hi @bnemec
I am drawn to this forum due to the attitude of Matt L. to always look forward and leave the worries to the past
What has happened to the other forums like SE or SW is a thing of the past.
Let us join hands to create new opportunities for everyone. The more the merrier 😊
Steen Winther
Answers: 1

Unread post by Steen Winther »

Merovingien wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:16 am the "old thing" or we should call it :
"the previous forum we shouldn't say its name" (harry potter reference)
You mean "The DARK SITE"? :)
I came here from the Dark Site
Steen Winther

Wow - Imagine my surprise when I went to the old forum, for the first time in years, and it was gone! Instead, they offered me a SWYM, but the water was far too deep for my liking.
So great to find this place with a lot of familiar faces/names and with access to the best minds in the game. I am especially happy to see you, @matt, your books, and web-utterances have been instrumental in helping me master the lame beast that is called SolidWorks SOLIDWORKS.
Cheers,
Steen

PS
I am not here for the CAD, only for the humor
matt

Unread post by matt »

Steen Winther wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:27 pm ... the lame beast that is called SolidWorks SOLIDWORKS.
Cheers,
Steen

PS
Thanks! Hey, no mandatory capitalization necessary around here. Glad to see you embracing the purple, though!
Glenn Schroeder

Steen Winther wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:27 pm Wow - Imagine my surprise when I went to the old forum, for the first time in years, and it was gone! Instead, they offered me a SWYM, but the water was far too deep for my liking.
So great to find this place with a lot of familiar faces/names and with access to the best minds in the game. I am especially happy to see you, @matt, your books, and web-utterances have been instrumental in helping me master the lame beast that is called SolidWorks SOLIDWORKS.
Cheers,
Steen

PS
Yep. There's @Alin, and @gupta9665,

. . . and then there's the rest of us.

mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Steen Winther wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:27 pm Wow - Imagine my surprise when I went to the old forum, for the first time in years, and it was gone! Instead, they offered me a SWYM, but the water was far too deep for my liking.
Cheers,
Steen

PS
@Steen Winther,
There's plenty of humor over at the 3DSwamp ("The Deep Pit of Despair and Frustration")...It's just too easy:
image.png
Steen Winther

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:22 pm @Steen Winther,
There's plenty of humor over at the 3DSwamp ("The Deep Pit of Despair and Frustration")...It's just too easy:
image.png
Agree, but it is mostly unintended :lol:
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Steen Winther wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:57 pm Agree, but it is mostly unintended :lol:
touché

And even now, half of the new posts are about how awful it is. Then you've got all the DS people following up on those posts making grand promises to fix it soon. I don't know where it falls on the spectrum between funny and sad...Mostly sad, I guess...
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 am touché

And even now, half of the new posts are about how awful it is. Then you've got all the DS people following up on those posts making grand promises to fix it soon. I don't know where it falls on the spectrum between funny and sad...Mostly sad, I guess...
I'd guess that DSS does not really care but I wonder how viable that forum actually is. There's a decent portion of posts that get no response at all, something that rarely happened in the old forum. A good portion of the answers over there are coming from people who prefer here. I doubt that will last. As you point out half the posts are "WTF!?" posts and people will not be returning if that continues.

At the kick off there were a ton of DSS employees there answering questions, making suggestions and mostly empty promises. Now the majority of the "Well this doesn't work" or "What happened to this" are not responded to at all by DSS and I'm already seeing a significant drop off in questions being answered by DSS employees.
matt

Unread post by matt »

MJuric wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:56 am I'd guess that DSS does not really care but I wonder how viable that forum actually is. There's a decent portion of posts that get no response at all, something that rarely happened in the old forum. A good portion of the answers over there are coming from people who prefer here. I doubt that will last. As you point out half the posts are "WTF!?" posts and people will not be returning if that continues.

At the kick off there were a ton of DSS employees there answering questions, making suggestions and mostly empty promises. Now the majority of the "Well this doesn't work" or "What happened to this" are not responded to at all by DSS and I'm already seeing a significant drop off in questions being answered by DSS employees.
I really don't get why you guys can't just let that place go. You're not going to fix DSS or their forum. You have a better chance of forming this place into what you need it to provide for you than steer that ship/wag that dog. The more time you spend over there, the more you encourage the people running it. Nostalgia in tech is a waste of time.

I go over there maybe once a week, and just lurk for about 15 seconds. Honestly, that's all I can stand. I can't find anything I'm interested in, and don't care to engage. I'm trying to put my available time and energy into building something that can move forward.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 am I really don't get why you guys can't just let that place go
Every year my company, companies like mine and many individuals pay millions of dollars to DSS. Part of that money is for support. To me that support should include a viable, DSS supported, forum.

I'm a bit pissed because they have never really provided that support only a place for others to provide that support but now they have taken that away as well while at the same time creating a veiled attempt to "sell" me more of their product, IE 3DE Solidworks Suite.

To me this is not just an issue of a poor forum, it's essentially taking away something I'm paying for.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:23 am I really don't get why you guys can't just let that place go. You're not going to fix DSS or their forum. You have a better chance of forming this place into what you need it to provide for you than steer that ship/wag that dog. The more time you spend over there, the more you encourage the people running it. Nostalgia in tech is a waste of time.

I go over there maybe once a week, and just lurk for about 15 seconds. Honestly, that's all I can stand. I can't find anything I'm interested in, and don't care to engage. I'm trying to put my available time and energy into building something that can move forward.
..it's the old girlfriend syndrome or some other obsessive-compulsive disorder **
matt

Unread post by matt »

zxys001 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:18 pm ..it's the old girlfriend syndrome or some other obsessive-compulsive disorder **
Bingo.
image.png
image.png (18.39 KiB) Viewed 39692 times
I was gonna ask if they ever got dumped by a woman.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:36 pm I was gonna ask if they ever got dumped by a woman.
I disagree with your analogy Matt. This isn't like getting dumped. This is more like cheating and lying but coming back just as you head out the door, asking to make up and making empty promises only to go back to running around with "The Platform" with your paycheck (maintenance money).
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:40 pm I disagree with your analogy Matt. This isn't like getting dumped. This is more like cheating and lying but coming back just as you head out the door, asking to make up and making empty promises only to go back to running around with "The Platform" with your paycheck (maintenance money).
...but you're still paying alimony. Whatever the analogy, I'm not sure it's going to have the outcome you seem to be hoping for. I miss the old forum too. But I recognize it's not coming back. Someone who's in charge has a different vision. And it's gonna get worse. It's not just the forum that's fading away.

There's a reason why I wanted this place to be multi-cad.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

bnemec wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:40 pm I disagree with your analogy Matt. This isn't like getting dumped. This is more like cheating and lying but coming back just as you head out the door, asking to make up and making empty promises only to go back to running around with "The Platform" with your paycheck (maintenance money).

Aha, "make up and making.. " the analogy still holds water... it's part what makes a user "come" back. **
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:46 pm ...but you're still paying alimony. Whatever the analogy, I'm not sure it's going to have the outcome you seem to be hoping for. I miss the old forum too. But I recognize it's not coming back. Someone who's in charge has a different vision. And it's gonna get worse. It's not just the forum that's fading away.

There's a reason why I wanted this place to be multi-cad.
I wondered if the alimony term would come up.
I have no idea what to think of that whole thing. Other than **
I'm just glad there's a place to get help.
Harrison_Johnson

Unread post by Harrison_Johnson »

I am happy to see all the CAD Guru's who helped me out over the years! I also happy to see the "Dark Mode" so that I can save my eyes a little bit. Glad to be here you all. Currently using SW '18 & '20 and ACAD '22. Thanks for making this site!
Kevin Moss

Unread post by Kevin Moss »

Hi.
I've been on for a while but haven't read this till today, Sorry.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Kevin Moss wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:03 pm Hi.
I've been on for a while but haven't read this till today, Sorry.
Oh, Whew! I just had my finger on the Delete key too!

Thanks for saying Hi! Glad to have you here.
anno90

Unread post by anno90 »

Hello everyone, i am new here so just want to to say hello :) :)
Glenn Schroeder

anno90 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:07 am Hello everyone, i am new here so just want to to say hello :) :)
Welcome. What CAD software do you use? (We're mostly Solidworks people here, but everyone is welcome, and there are users here familiar with just about all of them.)

doworkburke

Unread post by doworkburke »

Hey Everyone I'm also new here! I'm on SW 2020 most of the time these days with occasional jaunts into Fusion for CAM mostly. Stoked to chat/learn/connect.
Ronan1961

Unread post by Ronan1961 »

Hello,
Just joined. I have used SW since 1996. Currently on SW 2021 and we use Design Data Manager from CSI for our cad document control.
I joined here because have been reading Matt's blog for years and now have just installed SE 2022 community edition. No doubt I shall be asking, "How do I do ....." questions.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Ronan1961 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:42 pm Hello,
Just joined. I have used SW since 1996. Currently on SW 2021 and we use Design Data Manager from CSI for our cad document control.
I joined here because have been reading Matt's blog for years and now have just installed SE 2022 community edition. No doubt I shall be asking, "How do I do ....." questions.
Welcome to the club.

We almost went the DDM route before choosing Teamcenter Rapid Start instead. Do you know the owner- Joe McBurnie?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Ronan1961

Unread post by Ronan1961 »

mike miller wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:30 am Welcome to the club.

We almost went the DDM route before choosing Teamcenter Rapid Start instead. Do you know the owner- Joe McBurnie?
Hello, I have meet him quite a few times. I used to go to most of the update meetings before the lockdowns.
sajekual

Unread post by sajekual »

Hi! VAR employee here. Had to make an anonymous account for obvious reasons :)
Youhan

Unread post by Youhan »

Hi Everyone,
Johan on this side of the world, South Africa, downloaded Solid edge 2 days ago, so I am still brand new at this, I used qcad which is 2D until now and the to have a 3d representation of my models I used an old version of sketchup. I mainly play around on a cnc plasma table.

I am really struggling and hope to find some help to just get started.
Hopefully in a short time I will also be able to add value to the forum.