how to edit dimensions in the model

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
KSHansen
Answers: 0

how to edit dimensions in the model

Unread post by KSHansen »

I feel like this question is too basic to even ask...

Sometimes when I try to edit a dimension in the model, I click on it, and it just puts the number in a box where i can change the number. But sometimes it brings up a dialog box with a slider wheel, and where I can tell it "this configuration only" and all that.

How do I get it to do the latter? For a while it seemed like it was random, which method of editing it would choose for me. But today I can't get it to do the latter at all. I had to create a design table to get the dimension to be different for different configurations.
by Glenn Schroeder » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:31 am
It sounds like you have Instant 3d turned on. With that turned on, if you single click on a feature it will (usually) display the relevant dimensions in the graphics area. Single-clicking on a dimension will just highlight the dimension so you can assign a different value. Double-clicking on it instead of single click will bring up the whole dimension dialog box.
Go to full post
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: how to edit dimensions in the model

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

It sounds like you have Instant 3d turned on. With that turned on, if you single click on a feature it will (usually) display the relevant dimensions in the graphics area. Single-clicking on a dimension will just highlight the dimension so you can assign a different value. Double-clicking on it instead of single click will bring up the whole dimension dialog box.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
KSHansen

That was it! I'd never heard of it, but when I clicked back to SW, there it was in the top-middle of the window.

Thank you!
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Yea, they set that on by default in 2020 or 2021, drove me crazy till I messaged my VAR to figure out way it was doing that.
Glenn Schroeder

TTevolve wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:27 pm Yea, they set that on by default in 2020 or 2021, drove me crazy till I messaged my VAR to figure out way it was doing that.
I like it, but not everyone does. I didn't mention it above, but even with it turned off you can double-click on a feature to show the dimensions, then double-click on a dimension to edit it without needing to open the sketch, but the model won't update until you do a manual rebuild.

Having Instant3D turned on just makes it a little easier, and the update is immediate without a rebuild.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

KSHansen

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:59 pm but the model won't update until you do a manual rebuild.
That's something else that annoys me - when it updates as soon as I change something... and then fails because I have to change the other dimension too.
Tera
Answers: 2

Unread post by Tera »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:59 pm I like it, but not everyone does. I didn't mention it above, but even with it turned off you can double-click on a feature to show the dimensions, then double-click on a dimension to edit it without needing to open the sketch, but the model won't update until you do a manual rebuild.

Having Instant3D turned on just makes it a little easier, and the update is immediate without a rebuild.
Yes, I used to use it too. But you know how things in SW works. With every update things keep getting worse. Since 2022 version, if Instant3D is on, when you click a component in feature tree, that ugly "Move with triad" like thing shows up and it's large enough to fill a good amount of space. What's the use of it after all. In an assembly everything is fixed or mated. I had to turn Instant3D off to get ride of it.
--
2022-06-25_07-22-49.png
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Tera wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:27 pm Yes, I used to use it too. But you know how things in SW works. With every update things keep getting worse. Since 2022 version, if Instant3D is on, when you click a component in feature tree, that ugly "Move with triad" like thing shows up and it's large enough to fill a good amount of space. What's the use of it after all. In an assembly everything is fixed or mated. I had to turn Instant3D off to get ride of it.
--
2022-06-25_07-22-49.png
Quit using assemblies
Glenn Schroeder

Tera wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:27 pm Yes, I used to use it too. But you know how things in SW works. With every update things keep getting worse. Since 2022 version, if Instant3D is on, when you click a component in feature tree, that ugly "Move with triad" like thing shows up and it's large enough to fill a good amount of space. What's the use of it after all. In an assembly everything is fixed or mated. I had to turn Instant3D off to get ride of it.
--
2022-06-25_07-22-49.png
I didn't like it at first, but I've learned to ignore it when I don't need it. The only time I've used it is if an initial mate puts a Part inside another one so I couldn't click on it to move it. When that happens I can click on it in the tree and use that triad to move it. That doesn't happen often, but it's a very useful feature when it does.

mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:51 am I didn't like it at first, but I've learned to ignore it when I don't need it. The only time I've used it is if an initial mate puts a Part inside another one so I couldn't click on it to move it. When that happens I can click on it in the tree and use that triad to move it. That doesn't happen often, but it's a very useful feature when it does.
I see it as a good thing; because I got so used to the wheel in SE assemblies. It is extremely nice to be able to move or rotate a part along an axis.

There are a few things SWX should do to make it more useful (watch below).
Attachments
Wheel.mp4
(26.09 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

mike miller wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 am
There are a few things SWX should do to make it more useful (watch below).
Yeah, I prefer the SE click vs SolidWorks Click and hold. If I have to hold, I can't type a value.....the SE version is much easier.
Jason