Woodworking CAM software

Toolpaths, cutters, schemes, software. hardware, etc.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Woodworking CAM software

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Currently we use SigmaNest (don't ask why) as our CAM program. We constantly have problems with it and even the latest version which FINALLY has 3D import does not solve our simple enough problems. It is not even able to import a step file correctly. o[
Simply: I hate using it for our sheet cutting CNC routers.

Which programs do you use? Any advice?

We basically only use 2.5axis milling machines and I will try to push for a new program in the near future.

Also: SigmaNest offers a "SolidWorks importing" add in which we own - but this too is almost useless for woodworking. Are there specific programs that allow a better import from SolidWorks? Or do you just use step files?
m2shell
Answers: 0

Re: Woodworking CAM software

Unread post by m2shell »

I've used imos CAD a little bit - a millwork shop I know uses it. It is tightly linked with database, and is very bottom-up design intensive, but it seems very very good for porting to their CNC setup. Because I didn't end up working much with those fellas, I didn't spend too much time with the software, but I was impressed.

https://www.imos3d.com/en/
MattW
Answers: 2

Unread post by MattW »

I am currently using something else, but considering you probably already have Solidworks CAM, I would think it is worth turning it on and seeing if it would work for your needs.
len_1962
Answers: 0

Unread post by len_1962 »

I hate to say this but Fusion 360 is your answer.

they have Tab functions like most wood working CAM software's use a crapload of post for routers and it cost $549\yr and you get HSMWorks with it for free now.

HSMWorks does not have the TAB function which sucks as well as many of the other higher level toolpath that are in Fusion, but it still rocks!

All the post work from any of AD's CAM, Inventor, Fusion 360 and of course HSMWorks inside of SW.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

I have Mastercam since I program our mills as well as our routers, it can do just about anything you can model, but it's expensive, it opens 3D files directly (solidworks, STEP, IGES, ect.). I did have a trial copy of Vectric V-carve pro, if you doing just woodworking stuff it seemed pretty good, especially for engraving.
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger