2D CAD drafting vs 3D CAD modelling, what do you think?

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
Norah
Answers: 0

2D CAD drafting vs 3D CAD modelling, what do you think?

Unread post by Norah »

I recently discussed with my friends the difference between 2D and 3D drawings, which turned out to be an interesting topic. From my point of view, 2D CAD design still plays an important role in all walks of life, though 3D CAD is universal today. Here are the reasons why 2D drawings still matter:

1. 2D CAD drawing is a good starting point for most projects because it offers a basic overview of the size and scale of the project before 3D design.

2. If you only have a single component to design, 3D CAD modelling is not an ideal tool due to its multi-layers and more complex procedures, while the 2D CAD program is good at handling it with more details.

3. When you deal with 3D CAD designs on an old computer system, it's usually hard to accomplish as the files' size becomes too big. However, it's not the case with 2D CAD designs because they occupy less space, making it easy to edit and open files even if your computer is out of memory. For example, I've been using ZWCAD for designing, where it only takes 30 seconds to load a file with 550MB.

4. 2D CAD solutions are much more economical than 3D CAD ones, and the 2D CAD designs are easy to understand.

So, what're your thoughts on the difference between 2D CAD drafting and 3D CAD modelling?
Lucas
Answers: 2

Re: 2D CAD drafting vs 3D CAD modelling, what do you think?

Unread post by Lucas »

2D drawings are very important for engineering projects, but I don't think the same about 2D Software.

1. A good start point for 3D software is your project library and Pack and Go. The work is much faster and you will end up with less mistakes downstream.

2. I disagree with that, it's pretty easy to make solids in 3D CAD. Also, for Design for Additive Manufacturing 2D CAD is not useful.

3. For private projects, HD size it's not a problem, It's pretty cheap to buy any microSD with 128GB+ nowadays.
For profit, the way to grow and get richer is increasing your productivity, so you will want to drop old hardware.

4. Yeah, the price is cheaper, but 3D CAD has a higher productivity, plus it's easy to make 2D Drawings and update them.

I am thinking about engineering projects, like structures, machines, etc.
I do see the point using it like you mentioned ZWCAD to design 2D drawings for apartments or this kind of stuff. This is not really what 3D CAD is for, but you could make some similar workaround using blocks and macros in SolidWorks 2D Drawing, I guess. But would be a waste of money buying SW for this kind of work, imho ** ** **
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

I find it hard to make 3D prints with 2D drawings. **
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Norah wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:57 am

1. 2D CAD drawing is a good starting point for most projects because it offers a basic overview of the size and scale of the project before 3D design.
Depends on the project and product. There may be a benefit in some cases to do a 2d layout to drive the overall design. This can be done as a 2d layout sketch in a 3d model file and make use of blocks and parametric sketch relations. This can also be inserted into other 3d model files to create 3d geometry that is linked to this master sketch model.

Other designs such as architectural plan views ae best left 2d. Maybe panel layouts as well although we do those in 3d.
Norah wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:57 am 2. If you only have a single component to design, 3D CAD modelling is not an ideal tool due to its multi-layers and more complex procedures, while the 2D CAD program is good at handling it with more details.
Again, depends on the part. If you are drawing flat plates with little detail then 2d is works fine. But 3d will give you more control and abilities for most parts. Do you have an example of what you feel 2d is better at?
Norah wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:57 am 3. When you deal with 3D CAD designs on an old computer system, it's usually hard to accomplish as the files' size becomes too big. However, it's not the case with 2D CAD designs because they occupy less space, making it easy to edit and open files even if your computer is out of memory. For example, I've been using ZWCAD for designing, where it only takes 30 seconds to load a file with 550MB.
Most modern computers today should have little trouble with 3D, unless you cheap out. You can get away with this some with 2D programs but in my opinion, its the wrong area to cut corners.

File sizes can be deceiving. some 3d formats can get bloated because they contain the 3d model rep inside the files along with the feature / sketch information. Just because the file is large doesn't mean it needs to load everything in it all at once.
Norah wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:57 am 4. 2D CAD solutions are much more economical than 3D CAD ones, and the 2D CAD designs are easy to understand.
Not sure what you mean here. Both 2d and 3d have their place. 2d drawings can be printed and fully show the design and is easy for the shop floor to fabricate /inspect from. 3d models in a viewer can be rotated, sectioned, etc. and is far easier to see what is going on in the design than 2d which can be to understand for complex geometry.

The nice thing about 3D here is you can generate 2d drawings and any view with little work. When you change parts, the assemblies update, then the drawings update. In 2d only software this is a pain point.
Jason
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Let clear a few things:
We don't start with 2D CAD.
We start with 2D sketch in 3D CAD.
We make 2D drawing from the 3D model in 3D CAD.
Never make 2D drawing from 2D sketch in 3D CAD.

If you want 2D CAD, might as well go back to drawing board.
2D CAD is more "economical" to 3D CAD as bicycle is more "economical" then a car.

Walk to work and draw while walking. You'll get a lot more done.
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Creating a big, complex assembly with many parts, checking for interference during moving the parts as they do in operation, can be a lot of work in 2D.
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

Norah wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:57 am 2. If you only have a single component to design, 3D CAD modelling is not an ideal tool due to its multi-layers and more complex procedures, while the 2D CAD program is good at handling it with more details.
As noted by others, this really depends on how complicated the single part is. I've had individual parts be so complicated that if I were forced to do it in 2D I'd probably just go and stack shelves at the supermarket instead.

Also, how often is a single component really going to be used in total isolation to anything else? Doing the 3D model means you can then drop it in to any relevant assembly.
Frederick_Law

Using 2D to design 3D is like hammering a screw

Just so you know.
I started on the drawing board with a stack of H and B pencils.
Moved to ACAD 9.
Started modeling in 3D on ACAD 14.
Continue in MDT 14.
Upgraded to IV 1.
Used IV5.3 to 2022 and SW 2005 to 2020.
Using IV2020 now.

I'm not going back.
Waiting to truly design in 3D Ironman style. Not this looking at 2D screen thinking in 3D thing.
SteveH

Unread post by SteveH »

The original post looks more like an advertisement and a way to get visibility to a product on this forum without being labeled as spam. I've seen this technique used quite a bit on the PCB design forum I frequent.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I think that 3D is always easier. Many new or updated 2D views are generated automatically.

Napkin sketches are for 2D.

If a higher price is troublesome, then make a business for yourself and write it off. If it doesn't profit in several years (intended, even), then it becomes a hobby, but until then you can deduct a lot.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

SteveH wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:16 pm The original post looks more like an advertisement and a way to get visibility to a product on this forum without being labeled as spam. I've seen this technique used quite a bit on the PCB design forum I frequent.
It is indeed advertisement now that you mention it. Sounds like a 2D program trying to bring people back from 3D to 2D lol, especially with the link to the program and how it promotes it's "speed"
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

SteveH wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:16 pm The original post looks more like an advertisement and a way to get visibility to a product on this forum without being labeled as spam. I've seen this technique used quite a bit on the PCB design forum I frequent.
I agree. Also since it's the first post from the member.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:41 pm I agree. Also since it's the first post from the member.
Hasn't even logged on since the post.
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:38 pm Hasn't even logged on since the post.
Yup. If I had any money I'd bet some on the OP being a one-and-done.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

If they are using this post as advertisement, I think they lost.
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

They generated at least a little bit of traffic to their site. That is a victory for the marketing department as defined in 2022.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law

No problem, add domain to adblock.
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:12 pm They generated at least a little bit of traffic to their site. That is a victory for the marketing department as defined in 2022.
They did? People clicked on that link?

zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:16 am No problem, add domain to adblock.
Better, we need to post a TikTok link and call it,
"3 Easy Steps to Solid Twerking Bottom Up or Top Down" ><
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

I've had a couple complaints about this post, but I let it slide because the 2D vs 3D question is always valid, even if I think the direction the original post takes is not the best.

Plus, I don't want to squelch the discussion of other CAD packages, even if it's started by a shill. There are other shills on here that only post when they have something to promote that I haven't taken any action against...

The ZW line of products is from China, and they are interesting products. There are a number of marginal systems I'd buy before ZW, including IronCAD, but ZW has some CNC options. Dave Ault, a Solid Edge user who is probably retired by now, used to use ZW, and wasn't particularly impressed.
HerrTick
Answers: 1

Unread post by HerrTick »

When it comes down to it, most designers aren't truly thinking in 3D. It's more like 2D+.
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

I don't think it makes sense to compare!
Although there are common areas of use, the areas of use in general are very different. I think the important thing is which one is more efficient for the work being done.
I prefer a jeep for off road. A sport vehicle for speeding.
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
Conklin

Unread post by Conklin »

>< All I can say is that I have made many fixtures to hold my customers' parts that had many compound angles to the tubing he used in his parts, that I NEVER would have even attempted to quote the jobs if all I had was 2D.
With 3D it's a breeze. >< >< >< >< ><
It's a game changer!