New to the Forum

Several announcements for new users.
AllexDee
Answers: 0

New to the Forum

Unread post by AllexDee »

Good Afternoon Everyone, Alex Here from the UK, Happy I found somewhere I can learn and ask questions about problems I'm having with my CAD software :lol: I hope to learn and grow. I will add a photo soon to my profile.

See you deep down in the comment section UU

Alex
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: New to the Forum

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Welcome to CADForum and the gang!

Hopefully you will learn, grow and eventually be able to even contribute to help others!
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Welcome. What software do you use, and in what kind of industry?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
AllexDee

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:00 am Welcome to CADForum and the gang!

Hopefully you will learn, grow and eventually be able to even contribute to help others!
I cant wait to be more involved.
AllexDee

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:29 am Welcome. What software do you use, and in what kind of industry?
I'm using Solidworks 2020 (not by choice) and working in the agricultural machinery manufacturing industry (engineering)

What about yourself?
Glenn Schroeder

AllexDee wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:32 am I'm using Solidworks 2020 (not by choice) and working in the agricultural machinery manufacturing industry (engineering)

What about yourself?
I've been using Solidworks since 2009, making models and then drawings used to build the stuff shown in the videos below.

You said not by choice. What part, Solidworks itself, or version 2020?

"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:50 pm I've been using Solidworks since 2009, making models and then drawings used to build the stuff shown in the videos below.
This just tells me that we need to put the cab in the rear of the truck.....yikes.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:53 pm This just tells me that we need to put the cab in the rear of the truck.....yikes.
Only if you plan to try to drive a truck into a secure area that's protected by one of those installations.

By the way, I don't think the video has been posted, but we had a test years ago where the motor came up into the cab and went out the back window.

SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I want to know the specs on the u shaped pole. The truck hits it and self destructs, while it barely moves at all.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

This is a "friend of a friend" story, so take it for what it is worth. I was told that he had a large transmission on a flat bed truck. Something happened in front of him and he couldn't get slowed down in time. What would have been a small fender bender turned into a fatality because the transmission wasn't properly secured and came through the cab.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AllexDee

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:50 pm I've been using Solidworks since 2009, making models and then drawings used to build the stuff shown in the videos below.

You said not by choice. What part, Solidworks itself, or version 2020?

Well, I don't hate solid works but it's my first CAD software, I've seen others like fusion360 and some others, not a big fan of the interface SW offers.
I've used 3D software in the past like Autodesk 3Ds max that's how started my Digital 3D experience.

2020 was my first version so hoping 2022 is a little better but work doesn't want to upgrade just yet, if at all.
AlexLachance

AllexDee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:10 am Well, I don't hate solid works but it's my first CAD software, I've seen others like fusion360 and some others, not a big fan of the interface SW offers.
I've used 3D software in the past like Autodesk 3Ds max that's how started my Digital 3D experience.

2020 was my first version so hoping 2022 is a little better but work doesn't want to upgrade just yet, if at all.
2022 seems to be a P.I.T.A. so far so you should wait a little longer and see the comments from further SP's.

Most likely wait until SP5, or SP5.1 if there's gonna be one(most likely)
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

What is it you don't like about 2020? Is there a specific feature that is giving you problems?
-
AllexDee

SPerman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:45 am What is it you don't like about 2020? Is there a specific feature that is giving you problems?
Something I've found hard but maybe it's just me not being proficient in the software yet is Mating, simple mates I find no problems but when mating to a curved surface it makes me punch the screen.

I'm sure there is more but cant think of any more from the top of my head.
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:07 pm I want to know the specs on the u shaped pole. The truck hits it and self destructs, while it barely moves at all.
I started to post a little information, and it would probably be okay, but I don't want to take a chance on getting fired.
AllexDee wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:01 am Something I've found hard but maybe it's just me not being proficient in the software yet is Mating, simple mates I find no problems but when mating to a curved surface it makes me punch the screen.

I'm sure there is more but cant think of any more from the top of my head.
Mating to a curved surface can definitely be challenging. Using sketches can help in some circumstances.

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

From what little time I've spent in Fusion 360, it handles mating completely differently than SW.
-
AllexDee

SPerman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:05 am From what little time I've spent in Fusion 360, it handles mating completely differently than SW.
oh really, how so?
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

AllexDee wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:28 am Good Afternoon Everyone, Alex Here from the UK, Happy I found somewhere I can learn and ask questions about problems I'm having with my CAD software :lol: I hope to learn and grow. I will add a photo soon to my profile.

See you deep down in the comment section UU

Alex
Welcome Alex,
I think you will find what I am looking for.
And if I remember correctly @mike miller was in a similar industry.
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

This was a few years ago. Things might have changed, or my faulty memory may be at play.

Let's say you want to constrain this fastener to this panel.
image.png
In solidworks I would pick the face of the panel, and the underhead of the bolt and create a coincidence mate. Then I would select the cylinder of the hole and the cylinder of the bolt and create a concentric mate.

In F360 you would select the edge of the hole in the panel, and then the edge of the underhead of the bolt. The software would create both the face to face and concentric mates based on this selection.

(I had a bunch of screenshots in this post, but the forum and I weren't getting along, so I had to start over and didn't take the time to recreate them.)
-
AllexDee

SPerman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 am This was a few years ago. Things might have changed, or my faulty memory may be at play.

image.png
In solidworks I would pick the face of the panel, and the underhead of the bolt and create a coincidence mate. Then I would select the cylinder of the hole and the cylinder of the bolt and create a concentric mate.

In F360 you would select the edge of the hole in the panel, and then the edge of the underhead of the bolt. The software would create both the face to face and concentric mates based on this selection.

(I had a bunch of screenshots in this post, but the forum and I weren't getting along, so I had to start over and didn't take the time to recreate them.)
That's quite neat! does SW support this function?
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 am This was a few years ago. Things might have changed, or my faulty memory may be at play.

image.png

There are at least three ways to do something very similar in SW.

1. Set your bolt up with a Mate Reference. When you drag and drop it into an Assembly you can drop it so that concentric and coincident mates are applied (first screenshot). It takes a little practice to get the hang of it, but it works very well.

2. Grab the edge of the bolt, hold down Alt, and drag it close to the hole (second screenshot). Again, it takes a little practice, but you can drop it so that coincident and concentric mates are applied. It helps if you rotate the components so you can see both edges before first.

3. And then there's my favorite method. Ctrl+select the two edges and apply a Profile Center mate (third screenshot). You can also lock rotation on it, or leave it free to rotate. Of course you can also apply it with the Mate property manager open so you don't need to Ctrl+select them, but Quick Mates is one of those enhancements I resisted for a year or two, but now use often.

image.png
image.png
image.png

AllexDee

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:32 am There are at least three ways to do something very similar in SW.

1. Set your bolt up with a Mate Reference. When you drag and drop it into an Assembly you can drop it so that concentric and coincident mates are applied (first screenshot). It takes a little practice to get the hang of it, but it works very well.

2. Grab the edge of the bolt, hold down Alt, and drag it close to the hole (second screenshot). Again, it takes a little practice, but you can drop it so that coincident and concentric mates are applied. It helps if you rotate the components so you can see both edges before first.

3. And then there's my favorite method. Ctrl+select the two edges and apply a Profile Center mate (third screenshot). You can also lock rotation on it, or leave it free to rotate. Of course you can also apply it with the Mate property manager open so you don't need to Ctrl+select them, but Quick Mates is one of those enhancements I resisted for a year or two, but now use often.

image.png

image.png

image.png
The 3rd method is exactly what I just discovered after commenting on your post, quite handy to be fair, will give the other 2 methods a try too.
Ömür Tokman

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:32 am There are at least three ways to do something very similar in SW.
Hey Uncle this was a very quick start to teach.
A classic texan, whoever's the fastest wins.
6da68c951d23b6f119d78921caa8703a.png
AlexLachance

I honestly try and avoid Advanced Mates as much as possible. Not that they cause issues or anything, but they are named Advanced Mates for a reason, they tend to take more time for the program to calculate. If you end up having a huge assembly, it becomes somewhat noticeable.
Ömür Tokman

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:59 am I honestly try and avoid Advanced Mates as much as possible. Not that they cause issues or anything, but they are named Advanced Mates for a reason, they tend to take more time for the program to calculate. If you end up having a huge assembly, it becomes somewhat noticeable.
Frankly, I had never noticed it.
and
I don't prefer drag-and-drop mate because mostly the bolts are associated in the opposite position.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:59 am I honestly try and avoid Advanced Mates as much as possible. Not that they cause issues or anything, but they are named Advanced Mates for a reason, they tend to take more time for the program to calculate. If you end up having a huge assembly, it becomes somewhat noticeable.
We use "Symmetric" and "Width" mates a lot. Kind of hate that they are under "Advanced", I view them as normal mate options.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

Ömür Tokman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:08 am Frankly, I had never noticed it.
and
I don't prefer drag-and-drop mate because mostly the bolts are associated in the opposite position.
I had the same problem with a few of my models. It turned out that when I (or whoever) modeled them the head and shaft were two bodies. When I combined them into a single body that problem went away.

AlexLachance

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:19 pm We use "Symmetric" and "Width" mates a lot. Kind of hate that they are under "Advanced", I view them as normal mate options.
Those are the 2 we use most too, but we try to avoid them when possible. As stated, the difference isn't really noticeable unless you end up with multi-level large assemblies that have a lot of these.
AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:52 pm I had the same problem with a few of my models. It turned out that when I (or whoever) modeled them the head and shaft were two bodies. When I combined them into a single body that problem went away.
It has to do with what SolidWorks conciders as the direction of the plane/model. I think I remember someone explaining that you could switch the direction with custom made planes, but I don't think you can change the direction on the 3 original planes.
Ömür Tokman

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:52 pm I had the same problem with a few of my models. It turned out that when I (or whoever) modeled them the head and shaft were two bodies. When I combined them into a single body that problem went away.
I usually draw the bolts, screws etc, with the revolve command and it is a single body, the mate is 90% inverted. but tomorrow I will examine what you said, maybe there is an error I missed. Thank you for this information, Uncle.
Glenn Schroeder

Ömür Tokman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:39 pm I usually draw the bolts, screws etc, with the revolve command and it is a single body, the mate is 90% inverted. but tomorrow I will examine what you said, maybe there is an error I missed. Thank you for this information, Uncle.
If you don't find anything, attach a Part here and maybe someone can figure it out.

bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:47 am Hey Uncle this was a very quick start to teach.
A classic texan, whoever's the fastest wins.
6da68c951d23b6f119d78921caa8703a.png
Maybe. But always keep an eye on those who play "The long Game".
image.png