How to make assembly manuals / instructions

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
martin
Answers: 0

How to make assembly manuals / instructions

Unread post by martin »

How do you guys create assembly manuals?

We need to deliver printable instructions for in-house assembly, as well maintenance manuals with illustrations of how to disassemble and replace certain parts to the customer. For subassemblies with <10 parts we can usually get away with a simple exploded view. But for larger assemblies, we need to communicate which order the parts go together (building steps), detail views for where things are mounted and in what orientation, as well as list tools, lubricants, torques, and misc. assembly notes.

What we currently do for each main assembly is create an exploded view and multiple view states for each building step, which typically results in a drawing with 10-20 sheets. This can be quite slow to work with and the output doesn't look that great. Since we use Solidworks I have been trying out Composer, and I like to toon look can get there and the ability to export SVGs for inserting into Word documents. Is anyone here using Composer or other specialized software for this type of work?
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Re: How to make assembly manuals / instructions

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

We looked into Composer, but I think it's overpriced for not more than it can do. It's a screenshot program on steriods. Especially if you compare it to SolidEdge Technical Publications. SE Tech Pub is cheaper plus it is quite a bit more capable. Unlike Composer you can do everything in Tech Pub you don't have to export Vector images like you do in Composer.
Currently we use a combination of Word and Assembly Drawings with exploded views. Sometimes I'll make a assembly drawing with labels on each drawing view and then reference the drawing view names in the Word step by step document. Or we'll put the step by step instructions in the Assembly drawing, I attached an illustration. This drawing was done in SE. (FYI, we went from SW to SE) We eventually plan to get Tech Pubs.
Attachments
Rainshade Installation_REV00.pdf
(398.88 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

martin wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:58 am How do you guys create assembly manuals?

We need to deliver printable instructions for in-house assembly, as well maintenance manuals with illustrations of how to disassemble and replace certain parts to the customer. For subassemblies with <10 parts we can usually get away with a simple exploded view. But for larger assemblies, we need to communicate which order the parts go together (building steps), detail views for where things are mounted and in what orientation, as well as list tools, lubricants, torques, and misc. assembly notes.

What we currently do for each main assembly is create an exploded view and multiple view states for each building step, which typically results in a drawing with 10-20 sheets. This can be quite slow to work with and the output doesn't look that great. Since we use Solidworks I have been trying out Composer, and I like to toon look can get there and the ability to export SVGs for inserting into Word documents. Is anyone here using Composer or other specialized software for this type of work?
We looked into composer too but it's incredibly expensive (you also need to train people to use it properly which is an underestimated additional cost). For our in house production we mostly use standard operating procedures that are put together not by the design department. They use photos & text (MS publisher - I would use something else though) and work with screenshots from the model or photos from the actual assembly. Very rarely we need to make an exploded view for them where they draw in some notes.

We do not use videos. Videos are great if you do it for the first time - but afterwards you don't want to spend the time looking through a video to find a specific assembly step.

I cannot post something more detailed due to policy reasons - but maybe this helps:
2022-08-02 13_32_46-Window.png
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

If your company policy allowed, maybe CADASIO might worth a try?
1 year ago they are looking for feedback
https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=813
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Exploded view.
Do it so you can show assemble and disassemble steps.
Organize model into subassemblies that follow assemble steps.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Is there an easy way to show multiple steps of an assembly in a drawing? At least without creating a unique exploded view for each drawing view?

For example, my exploded assembly has 3 steps. I would like to create a drawing view with only step 1 active, then a 2nd view with both step 1 and 2 active, and then a final view with all 3 steps applied. Is this possible?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Does anyone work for Lego instructions department? Whatever Lego uses to make their books, that's what we need in our MES/Routings.

But it needs to show up in where used searches or automatically update when parts/assemblies are revised so instructions are correctly maintained with the CAD data.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

SPerman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:30 am Is there an easy way to show multiple steps of an assembly in a drawing?
I guess it's possible.
I did that in IV.

Config?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

SPerman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:30 am Is there an easy way to show multiple steps of an assembly in a drawing? At least without creating a unique exploded view for each drawing view?

For example, my exploded assembly has 3 steps. I would like to create a drawing view with only step 1 active, then a 2nd view with both step 1 and 2 active, and then a final view with all 3 steps applied. Is this possible?
No, you need to create a separate exploded view for each step.

Here I created 3 exploded views. I also created 3 unlinked Display States since I don't want to see all components.
image.png
Set the view for the Exploded you want, and the Display State.
image.png
Repeat for other views
image.png
Jason
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I was afraid that was the answer. It looks like one could create the full explosion, and then copy it and drop off 1 step each time. At least that way you aren't doing the same work over and over.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

SPerman wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:49 pm I was afraid that was the answer. It looks like one could create the full explosion, and then copy it and drop off 1 step each time. At least that way you aren't doing the same work over and over.
In this case there are 3 explodes, but none of them are full explosions, just what you see in the view. I see your point though, the ability to control the exploded sub "Steps" at the drawing level would be useful.
Jason