A few issues

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

A few issues

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

1. The "Remember me" checkbox doesn't seem to be working. It remembers my login name and password, but it still takes me to the log in page instead of automatically logging me in when I go to the site.

2. I can't find a way to insert screenshots. My usual practice on other forums is to take a screenshot, paste it in Paint, add circles and arrows, select a region, copy, and paste directly in the text body. That doesn't work here. It may be possible to insert one after saving it as a stand-alone file, but that seems cumbersome.

3. I can't seem to post SW files, which obviously be a problem. I get an error that it's an invalid file extension. I tried with a Part file and a .sldlfp file.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt
Answers: 18

Re: A few issues

Unread post by matt »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:22 pm 1. The "Remember me" checkbox doesn't seem to be working. It remembers my login name and password, but it still takes me to the log in page instead of automatically logging me in when I go to the site.

2. I can't find a way to insert screenshots. My usual practice on other forums is to take a screenshot, paste it in Paint, add circles and arrows, select a region, copy, and paste directly in the text body. That doesn't work here. It may be possible to insert one after saving it as a stand-alone file, but that seems cumbersome.

3. I can't seem to post SW files, which obviously be a problem. I get an error that it's an invalid file extension. I tried with a Part file and a .sldlfp file.

1) I think this is browser specific, related to cookies. I'll look into it, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do at this end.

2) To insert screenshots, you can't just cut and paste. This is one of my pet peeves here so far. You have to have it saved locally, and then make sure you're using the full editor, not the Quick Reply, and then look at the bottom of the screen for the Attachments tab. From there, you have to browse for it, then place it in line in your post text. Lots of steps.

3) That's something I can probably fix, but it's buried in the admin settings. I'll have to fix it. I can have it deal with stuff like the SW site did - with a zip file, but I think it uses a funky zip format. This is something I've been wanting to test. Thanks. I'll try to get that fixed.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Ok, Glenn, I finally got it. You can now upload sldprt, sldasm, slddrw and sldlfp, but the limit is 50 mb (don't make me regret that) and you are limited to the CAD forum areas (not in the suggestions forum). I did a test upload of a 23 mb file from the SW forum of the 747 fuselage.
Glenn Schroeder

matt wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:46 pm Ok, Glenn, I finally got it. You can now upload sldprt, sldasm, slddrw and sldlfp, but the limit is 50 mb (don't make me regret that) and you are limited to the CAD forum areas (not in the suggestions forum). I did a test upload of a 23 mb file from the SW forum of the 747 fuselage.
I saw that, and it downloaded okay. Now if you can fix it to make it easier to post screenshots my life will be complete (okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but I've had a few Dos Equis, so please cut me some slack).
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Matt, I don't pretend to know anything about this software but I found this regarding pasting images. Looks like there are extensions, not sure how you apply them though.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... oardimage/
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

Thanks for doing that research. I've already added a couple of extensions, and I'll give that one a try tomorrow.
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

i have the same problem the "remember me" doesn't work
matt

Unread post by matt »

Ok, the copy/paste extension is in and working. Thanks to Jason Capriotti for the suggestion! It seems to work in FireFox, Chrome, Opera, and the new MS Edge. A couple of limitations -

- you have to have an image in the clipboard, not a file
- you have to use the full editor, not the quick reply
- ctrl-V and RMB paste should work.
- it has a slight lag, so give it 3 seconds before you give up

image.png
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

Thanks Matt,

It looks like it works. (That's a set of cattle pens I built a few years ago after designing it in SW. It works pretty well.)
image.png
image.png

Glenn Schroeder

matt wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:46 pm Ok, Glenn, I finally got it. You can now upload sldprt, sldasm, slddrw and sldlfp, but the limit is 50 mb (don't make me regret that) and you are limited to the CAD forum areas (not in the suggestions forum). I did a test upload of a 23 mb file from the SW forum of the 747 fuselage.
@matt,

I just tried to upload a 32 KB sldlfp file, but was spectacularly unsuccessful. I tried it both by using the "Add file" button and dragging and dropping. Nothing happened with either method.

Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

also, the "remember me" still not working for me.

(Edge + Ghostery)

i added the https...cadforum.net
to the allowed cookie-site, but not working
Glenn Schroeder

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:52 am
@matt,

I just tried to upload a 32 KB sldlfp file, but was spectacularly unsuccessful. I tried it both by using the "Add file" button and dragging and dropping. Nothing happened with either method.
After further reflection I'm pretty sure the problem was that I already had 3 screenshots in the post. I know you're working on the 3 attachment limit thing.

And like @Merovingien mentioned, the "Remember me" button only worked for a day or two. I'm using Chrome, if that matters.

matt

Unread post by matt »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:37 am
Glenn Schroeder wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:52 am
After further reflection I'm pretty sure the problem was that I already had 3 screenshots in the post. I know you're working on the 3 attachment limit thing.

And like @Merovingien mentioned, the "Remember me" button only worked for a day or two. I'm using Chrome, if that matters.
Yeah, I can fix the 3 attachment thing. The Remember Me problem is proving more difficult. I'm trying to get some advice from other phpbb admins. The cookie setting I tried didn't work. May have to go to my server admin. Rest assured I'm working on it, because it is affecting me as well. Plus I have to work with 2 simultaneous logins. One for back end admin, and one for posting, and both of them go haywire.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Along the same lines as #1 "remember me" is there an option to "keep me logged in?" I had a reply started and then got busy with other stuff and when I came back I put finishing touches on it an clicked "preview" and it wanted me to log in. After log in it took me to the reply screen, reloaded as if I hit the " button in the post I was replying to. It's not the end of the world, most of my posts aren't that great and maybe it would teach me to keep them shorter. I still get tired of logging in several times a day to just glance at things for a couple minutes.

Maybe there is a "session timeout" setting that I haven't found?
matt

Unread post by matt »

@bnemec Yes, I think these are the same issues. I'm working to find an answer, although you should be able to keep your response even through a re-login. I know that switch is set. You might be able to login, then hit back a couple of times and your half written post will be there still.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

I use Greenshot for taking screenshots. It is a wonderful little software that allows you to select a region of the screen instead of the entire screen and it gives you a whole list of options right after you take the screenshot.
2021-03-16 07_40_09-.jpg
I usually edit it in Paint, save it in the default folder, drag and drop it into the message which will make it an attachment, then hit the "Place inline" button to place it in the message if I don't want to post it as an attachment.
The copy and paste doesn't seem to be working for me.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Glenn Schroeder

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:59 am
I use Greenshot for taking screenshots. It is a wonderful little software that allows you to select a region of the screen instead of the entire screen and it gives you a whole list of options right after you take the screenshot.
2021-03-16 07_40_09-.jpg
I usually edit it in Paint, save it in the default folder, drag and drop it into the message which will make it an attachment, then hit the "Place inline" button to place it in the message if I don't want to post it as an attachment.
The copy and paste doesn't seem to be working for me.
Thanks, but @matt did some kind of magic and my old method is working now. It's a little clumsier than I'd like, but I can live with it.

jayar
Answers: 2

Unread post by jayar »

I didn't want to start a new thread so figured I'd just add this here.

Any chance of setting the 'log you out' timer extended? I log on in the morning and sometimes don't get back to the forum for a while and by then the system has logged me off. Could it be increased to at least 4 hours?
Jaylin Hochstetler

jayar wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:03 am I didn't want to start a new thread so figured I'd just add this here.

Any chance of setting the 'log you out' timer extended? I log on in the morning and sometimes don't get back to the forum for a while and by then the system has logged me off. Could it be increased to at least 4 hours?
Mine only logs me out if I close my browser and reopen it. I'm using Firefox with Windows 10.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:24 am Mine only logs me out if I close my browser and reopen it. I'm using Firefox with Windows 10.
Do you have cookies automatically being deleted upon closing the browser?
image.png
If so, then this is why...
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
matt

Unread post by matt »

The log you out setting is set to 20 days
image.png
Nothing here has changed in that respect for months.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Today is the first day that I had to enter login info in weeks or months. But I do check the box to keep me logged in. Yes I have closed the browser and restarted my computer in that time.
Jaylin Hochstetler

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:30 am Do you have cookies automatically being deleted upon closing the browser?

image.png

No, it is turned "off".
image.png
In fact it doesn't allow me to turn it "on". It's not a problem for me because I use LastPass which autofills the pw and username for me.

But it sounds like @jayar is having a different issue. Mine only logs out when I close Firefox.
jayar

Unread post by jayar »

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:30 am Do you have cookies automatically being deleted upon closing the browser?

image.png

The browser & window are left open all day.
jayar

Unread post by jayar »

matt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:22 am The log you out setting is set to 20 days
image.png
Nothing here has changed in that respect for months.
Maybe that is it, I had thought this was just for passwords (our IT, in their infinite wisdom, won't allow any browser to save passwords). I'll try it. Thanks.
Ömür Tokman
Answers: 1

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:52 pm No, it is turned "off".
image.png
In fact it doesn't allow me to turn it "on". It's not a problem for me because I use LastPass which autofills the pw and username for me.

But it sounds like @jayar is having a different issue. Mine only logs out when I close Firefox.
I'm using google chrome so I've never had a problem with any website so far. as long as I let him keep the passwords.
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.