Base sketch not showing when editing other features

TTevolve
Answers: 3

Base sketch not showing when editing other features

Unread post by TTevolve »

So I have a part that has a base sketch and then a sheet metal base flange feature after it in the tree (this is a copied part from one that was already created but I have to make it a bit different than the original part). When I go to edit the sketch for the base flange the base sketch disappears. I need the base sketch shown so I can create dimension to it, but it hides when I edit the base flange sketch. Anyone know why a sketch would not show when editing another sketch if it's not hidden and sketch are shown?

I created a new part, add a base sketch and then created the base flange and the base sketch shows fine in that part.
image.png
image.png
The first picture shows the part with the base sketch (Sketch 1 shown), the second picture is when editing the base flange and it disappears on me.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Re: Base sketch not showing when editing other features

Unread post by Tom G »

I repeated what you have done in two ways, once making the feature sketch before starting the sheet metal base flange feature, and once making the feature sketch after triggering the base flange. In both ways, I am unable to reproduce your error. After making the base flange, I edit its sketch, and Sketch1 still shows. Install ref 2018 SP5.

Perhaps the rollback priority order is affected by the copy of the part as a source. Does this also happen if you do the same in a new part?
Shaun
Answers: 2

Unread post by Shaun »

This is probably not the solution, but it's worth a check.

image.png
image.png (46.02 KiB) Viewed 1285 times

If you right click on EVxxxx-DMD01-F on the excerpt above and select Tree Display then select Show Flat Tree View does this move Sketch4 before Sketch1. If so it may be possible to drag Sketch 4 below Sketch1 and solve your problem.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Make sure to have this "pressed". I know you said you had sketches shown and that it isn't hidden, but just making sure.
image.png
TTevolve

I can not replicate it on a new part either, it's something in that part.

The flat tree shows it above the sheet metal feature as well.

The really weird thing is that base flange sketch has dimensions that are attached to the base sketch, you just can't see the lines of the sketch they are attached to.
image.png
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

Maybe you can't see it because both sketches are identical?
AlexLachance

I see you have external references, could it have something to do with these perhaps..?

Maybe you could try with the references removed to see if it fixes it, if it does, then see if having the references loaded fixes the issue..? Maybe the sketch that is on top is created on an external plane/face..? Just spitballing here
TTevolve

I deleted out the external references and it still does it. I ended up starting from scratch with a new part template, have no clue why it wouldn't show up, but it's impossible to have dimensions reference geometry on a sketch you can't see
AlexLachance

TTevolve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:20 am I deleted out the external references and it still does it. I ended up starting from scratch with a new part template, have no clue why it wouldn't show up, but it's impossible to have dimensions reference geometry on a sketch you can't see
I've ran into this before but I don't recall what it was, I'm pretty sure I figured out a way to "fix" it, but don't recall what it was as it didn't really occur more then once or twice.

If you're starting from scratch, you can try copy and pasting the features from one part to the other, sometimes that can save you a bit of trouble.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

TTevolve wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:12 am So I have a part that has a base sketch and then a sheet metal base flange feature after it in the tree (this is a copied part from one that was already created but I have to make it a bit different than the original part). When I go to edit the sketch for the base flange the base sketch disappears. I need the base sketch shown so I can create dimension to it, but it hides when I edit the base flange sketch. Anyone know why a sketch would not show when editing another sketch if it's not hidden and sketch are shown?

I created a new part, add a base sketch and then created the base flange and the base sketch shows fine in that part.
image.png
image.png

The first picture shows the part with the base sketch (Sketch 1 shown), the second picture is when editing the base flange and it disappears on me.
So that isn't showing it as hidden. It is showing it as rolled back.

Not that you have it rolled back. What I mean is, that in your history, you have your base flange sketch BEFORE your base sketch. Hit CTRL T to turn on flat tree view, then drag your base flange sketch AFTER your base sketch.

This gets tricky when sketches are absorbed into features. It LOOKS like it is after...but when you turn on flat tree view, it is really before.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
AlexLachance

DanPihlaja wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:49 am So that isn't showing it as hidden. It is showing it as rolled back.

Not that you have it rolled back. What I mean is, that in your history, you have your base flange sketch BEFORE your base sketch. Hit CTRL T to turn on flat tree view, then drag your base flange sketch AFTER your base sketch.

This gets tricky when sketches are absorbed into features. It LOOKS like it is after...but when you turn on flat tree view, it is really before.
Kudos Dan, I think you've hit the nail on the origin of the problem.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

DanPihlaja wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:49 am So that isn't showing it as hidden. It is showing it as rolled back.

image.png
TTevolve

Not flat view

image.png
Flat view

They both look like the sketch is above the base-flange feature

Also, I rolled up above the sheet-metal feature and created another sketch (sketch 60 in the pics) and that one disappears as well, so that one for sure would be above the features if I rolled up above them correct? I made a new part anyways, but now I am just curious what would cause this would to happen.
Attachments
image.png
AlexLachance

TTevolve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:38 pm Not flat view

image.png
Flat view

Also, I rolled up above the sheet-metal feature and created another sketch (sketch 60 in the pics) and that one disappears as well, so that one for sure would be above the features if I rolled up above them correct? I made a new part anyways, but now I am just curious what would cause this would to happen.
I believe this is your issue. Edge Flange 3 is dependant of Sketch1
image.png
image.png (19.28 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

Edit: also both screen seem to show different part. One has external reference in Sketch1, the other doesn't.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:30 pm I believe this is your issue. Edge Flange 3 is dependant of Sketch1

image.png

Edit: also both screen seem to show different part. One has external reference in Sketch1, the other doesn't.
A really helpful way to see this is to roll back the part up to the sketch that is not showing (in this case sketch1).
All the features/sketches that come after the sketch should be greyed out!.
Sometimes this is not the case and another sketch is not yet greyed out although it is behind the rollback bar (you have to expand the feature with the sketch though!).

I have only encountered this problem when using sheet metal features.
I believe that @AlexLachance pointed out the reason why this happens: There IS or WAS a dependency on a sketch in your tree when it was moved.
The only way sometimes to fix this is to re-draw sketch1 with the rollback bar being above the sketch you want to reference. Sorry.

Here an example where you can see an unsuppressed sketch that is behind the rollback bar:
2022-08-18 06_07_00-Window.png
And how beautiful this sketch still stays unsuppressed even when you go above the sketch that is not dependent anymore:
2022-08-18 06_15_02-Window.png
AlexLachance

berg_lauritz wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:21 am And how beautiful this sketch still stays unsuppressed even when you go above the sketch that is not dependent anymore:
2022-08-18 06_15_02-Window.png
Lol, I get that so often but never ever questionned it as it's been like that as far as I can remember
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

TTevolve wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:38 pm Not flat view

image.png
Flat view

If you notice, Flat tree view doesn't "un-absorb" the sketch from under the Base flange. *sigh* I forgot about this "feature".

So this is your problem. This also explains why the sketch remains unsuppressed when you drag the history bar above the Base Flange.

You need to get the absorbed sketch to be AFTER the base sketch in the history, and right now it isn't. I think that the only way that you can do it is to delete the base flange and leave the base flange sketch. Then you will see that the sketch is before the base sketch in the history.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

DanPihlaja wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:07 am If you notice, Flat tree view doesn't "un-absorb" the sketch from under the Base flange. *sigh* I forgot about this "feature".

So this is your problem. This also explains why the sketch remains unsuppressed when you drag the history bar above the Base Flange.

You need to get the absorbed sketch to be AFTER the base sketch in the history, and right now it isn't. I think that the only way that you can do it is to delete the base flange and leave the base flange sketch. Then you will see that the sketch is before the base sketch in the history.
I had come to the conclusion that the "Flat Tree View" option is not supported in Sheet Metal. It kinda works, sometimes, but that's just by chance.

Again, absorbing sketches into features in an ordered modeling environment is just bad. It is like writing an instruction booklet with numbered steps that read like a crappy mystery novel where the chapters have scrambled chronological order.