Exit PDM, close PDM Search tools and Solidworks PDM Add in first?

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Exit PDM, close PDM Search tools and Solidworks PDM Add in first?

Unread post by bnemec »

As it seems with any newer commercial software that runs on Windows; if it isn't working as expected, close it and reopen it. So users are getting used to me telling them to right click the "blueberry" icon in system tray and click "Exit" If I understand correctly this is a somewhat friendly way to stop the EdmServer.exe process on the client which, upon next request to the vault, will start new fresh connections to the servers.

What about PDM Search Tool, do I tell them they need to close all PDM Search windows? Also, Solidworks PDM Add In, does the add in have it's own connection to the servers or does it go through the EdmServer.exe service as well, which would make me assume they need to close out of Solidworks as well?

Thank you.
image.png
Diaval
Answers: 7

Re: Exit PDM, close PDM Search tools and Solidworks PDM Add in first?

Unread post by Diaval »

Everything on the client goes through EdmServer.exe.

It is not necessary to close the Search tool or SolidWorks if you need to restart the PDM client service on the system but it's never a bad idea to restart other processes that use EdmServer when restarting that one.

I would highly recommend a restart of the explorer.exe process when you restart EdmServer though. The explorer process can hold onto some PDM user data even through a restart of EdmServer.

If you have the PDM stand alone search tool open when you exit the blueberry, it will clear the search window. If you try to use the search tool it will start EdmServer and prompt for a login. If you have SolidWorks open with the add-in enabled, it will start EdmServer and prompt for a login if it needs to use PDM again. (If you are using Windows login with automatic login enabled you won't see the login prompt. It will just automatically start EdmServer and login as needed. )
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Diaval wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:09 pm Everything on the client goes through EdmServer.exe.

It is not necessary to close the Search tool or SolidWorks if you need to restart the PDM client service on the system but it's never a bad idea to restart other processes that use EdmServer when restarting that one.

I would highly recommend a restart of the explorer.exe process when you restart EdmServer though. The explorer process can hold onto some PDM user data even through a restart of EdmServer.

If you have the PDM stand alone search tool open when you exit the blueberry, it will clear the search window. If you try to use the search tool it will start EdmServer and prompt for a login. If you have SolidWorks open with the add-in enabled, it will start EdmServer and prompt for a login if it needs to use PDM again. (If you are using Windows login with automatic login enabled you won't see the login prompt. It will just automatically start EdmServer and login as needed. )
Thank you @Diaval for the verbose answer. I would mark it correct. Maybe I can some day @matt ;) Until then I'll just use the #correct search term!
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Here's a batch script you can give to the users to "restart" all PDM processes.

Code: Select all

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
taskkill /f /IM EDMSERVER.exe
taskkill /f /IM Search.exe
taskkill /f /IM ViewServer.exe
start explorer.exe
exit
Jason
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:15 pm
Thank you @Diaval for the verbose answer. I would mark it correct. Maybe I can some day @matt ;) Until then I'll just use the #correct search term!
The closest one I could find was for an earlier version. Not sure how to edit it. We'll get there, though.
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:28 pm Here's a batch script you can give to the users to "restart" all PDM processes.

Code: Select all

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
taskkill /f /IM EDMSERVER.exe
taskkill /f /IM Search.exe
taskkill /f /IM ViewServer.exe
start explorer.exe
exit
You should add the /t switch at the end of the taskkill statements to make sure it ends the entire process tree

Other client side processes
taskkill /f /IM FileViewer.exe /t
taskkill /f /IM AddInSrv.exe /t
taskkill /f /IM Inbox.exe /t

and if you use Items you can also add
taskkill /f /IM ItemExplorer.exe /t

For users who use Report Generator add
taskkill /f /IM Report.exe /t

To close the Admin tool add
taskkill /f /IM ConisioAdmin.exe /t

To close the data card editor add
taskkill /f /IM CardEdit.exe /t

I generally kill explorer last in my scripts but I don't know if it matters.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@Diaval Thanks, the /t switch wouldn't hurt, its been working for years but maybe a rogue process could be left behind. Wonder if anyone has traced dependencies?

Not sure on the explorer process either. I think my rationale was that PDM runs inside explorer so killing it first would help the rest close out.
Jason
majo
Answers: 0

Unread post by majo »

Here ist my PDM Shutdown

@echo on
rem flag usage: /f (forcefully terminate), /im (the image name of the process), /t (terminate entire process tree) <end>

taskkill /f /im ViewServer.exe /t
taskkill /f /im ConisioAdmin.exe /t
taskkill /f /im Search.exe /t
taskkill /f /im InBox.exe /t
taskkill /f /im EdmServer.exe /t
taskkill /f /im EdmSer~1.exe /t
taskkill /f /im addinsrv.exe /t

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe && explorer

goto:eof

rem exit
rem pause
RTFM or ask Mom!