automatic transition to "check out"?

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

automatic transition to "check out"?

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Currently we do not have an automatic transition to check out a file if we go from the released state to work in progress.

Would it be unwise to make an automatic transition so that the file is automatically checked out by you if you go from released to work in progess?

I feel like we're loosing SO MUCH TIME by doing this in two steps...
And in the rare occasion that you don't want to check it out afterwards you can always to undo check out.

Am I missing something?
AlexB
Answers: 22

Re: automatic transition to "check out"?

Unread post by AlexB »

It might be more of a headache than it's worth to implement. I've tried to use dispatch for this and it works fine when triggered from the Explorer window during a transition, but when it's transitioned from within solidworks via the PDM add-in, the results are not consistent and give an error a good bit of the time (at least for me)

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... Zsnl86waSw
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Thank you @AlexB for that link.

We might implement a "new state" that does this automatic transition but I am a little bit annoyed that this function is not even included.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:08 am Thank you @AlexB for that link.

We might implement a "new state" that does this automatic transition but I am a little bit annoyed that this function is not even included.
I agree that it would be useful enough of a feature to implement. The only way I can think to get it to work the way you are describing is to create a custom PDM add-in that looks for a state change and checks the file out to the user after it occurs. Even then, I'm sure there are a few more things to consider like whether the part is open in SW or not at the time of transition.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

As Alex mentioned, we do this with dispatch. The catch is its best to do this in Windows Explorer and not inside SolidWorks. If I recall, inside SolidWorks it won't remove the "Read-only" status of the file in session so when you save its ignored. In the background the file is checked out though.

So our users add files to an ECO using this method, the dispatch script prompts for an ECO number, the ECO requester, and it checks the file out and adds the date and user performing the action. I can share the script if anyone wants it.
Jason