SWx Electrical Schematic (2D) likes more RAM

Tom G
Answers: 0

SWx Electrical Schematic (2D) likes more RAM

Unread post by Tom G »

Just an FYI, Solidworks Electrical Schematic performs much better when provided with 32 GB of RAM than 16GB of RAM. This is more performance driving than the same in 3D Solidworks. Particularly, the performance of its panel layout drawings can suffer greatly if it has insufficient RAM. I suppose that this may also depend on the complexity of what you are working with, whereas preprocessing a drawing through Draftsight using discardduplicate command can help reduce the entity count imported to Schematic.

Aside - I am absolutely not addressing that other product known as Solidworks Electrical Routing, here. If you don't know the difference between Solidworks Electrical Schematic, aka Electrical 2D, and just about every other Solidworks software product, they are absolutely different in every way. This is because Schematic was acquired from another company and renamed Solidworks. Furthermore, it does not use files, but rather it lives upon its own installed database, which requires extensive setup - I recommend that you hire a tech from your VAR to perform.

I have used 3D Solidworks with 16GB of RAM, without major issues. This is to exceptionally note that SWx Electrical Schematic greatly benefits from more RAM, more so than any other Solidworks software that I have encountered.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: SWx Electrical Schematic (2D) likes more RAM

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

See if it helps to have SSD if you're still using HDD.