Banner contest

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Banner contest

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Hey,

There's a little banner made at the top that's very basic that says ''CAD Forum''. I suggest having a mini-contest inside the forum to have people submit their own stab at a banner. I'm sure people would be fine with the eternal glory of having created the first banner :P

I'm sure some very interesting things could come out. Who knows, maybe Paul would model one entirely from SolidWorks? :P I know I'd pick up Photoshop and give it a go. Used to create forum ''signatures'' when I was a teenager so it'd be fun to give it a go

-Header dimensions should not exceed 1200 pixel x 100pixel. The banner can be made bigger and then resized accordingly afterwards, but not the other way around.
-There are no colors imposed, altough it would be neat to have a logo that matches the actual default template.
-Banner must contain "CAD Forum" and "A place for CAD users by CAD users"
-Bonus points for creating some of/all of it with a CAD program
-Do not use copyrighted material

Reward:
Eternal forum glory
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Banner contest

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:04 pm Hey,

There's a little banner made at the top that's very basic that says ''CAD Forum''. I suggest having a mini-contest inside the forum to have people submit their own stab at a banner. I'm sure people would be fine with the eternal glory of having created the first banner :P

I'm sure some very interesting things could come out. Who knows, maybe Paul would model one entirely from SolidWorks? :P I know I'd pick up Photoshop and give it a go. Used to create forum ''signatures'' when I was a teenager so it'd be fun to give it a go
Yeah, let's do it.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Bonus points for doing it strictly with CAD! :D

Seriously, what kind of forum did you think this was anyway? :lol: (need a dope-slap emoji)
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

The other place has this:
image.png
Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something better...
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

mattpeneguy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:21 pm The other place has this:
image.png

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something better...
Now I have to clean the coffee off my monitors.
That is hilarious @mattpeneguy!
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
mattpeneguy

I don't know why I used the sarc tag...The platform already bogs down and doesn't refresh right, now. When all the old forum content is over there and there's more than 3 people using it, it may be more like this:
image.png
mike miller

I've got a little time to tinker but..................I need ideas!

Someone want to post some screenshots for inspiration?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:59 pm I've got a little time to tinker but..................I need ideas!

You could make a collage of a bunch of different models - maybe SW marketing models, or splash screen models, models you collect from the forum or internet ...

You could make a billet machined bulletin board heading with machined polished text...

You could make something that looks like marketing materials with a bunch of beautiful young people of assorted races pointing mindlessly at a screen with nothing on it.

Make a header image that uses as many different CAD techniques as you can think of, assemblies, sheet metal, welded frames, surfacing, electrical, piping, bolted connections...
mike miller

matt wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:27 pm
mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:59 pm I've got a little time to tinker but..................I need ideas!

You could make a collage of a bunch of different models - maybe SW marketing models, or splash screen models, models you collect from the forum or internet ...
Are they public domain?
You could make a billet machined bulletin board heading with machined polished text...
@matt , for your own health and well-being, don't mention "machined from billet" to a machinist. That is a mutual pet peeve on par with "aircraft grade aluminum". <()> <()>
You could make something that looks like marketing materials with a bunch of beautiful young people of assorted races pointing mindlessly at a screen with nothing on it.
Uh......hmmmm.......*clears throat*......nah. I'll pass. I'm not woke enuf. :roll: <()>
Make a header image that uses as many different CAD techniques as you can think of, assemblies, sheet metal, welded frames, surfacing, electrical, piping, bolted connections...
Now that's an idea! Except I don't have Electrical or Routing add-ins......but I could do the rest if I have an idea for something other than a dream-catcher's primary canuter valve. :mrgreen:
AlexLachance

Some basic guidelines (@matt please confirm if I'm mistaken)

-Header dimensions should not exceed 1200pixel x 100pixel
-There are no colors imposed, altough it would be neat to have a logo that matches the actual default template.

I will try picking Photoshop back up this weekend and have a go at it, unless I totally forget about it.
matt

Unread post by matt »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:55 am Some basic guidelines (@matt please confirm if I'm mistaken)

-Header dimensions should not exceed 275pixel x 90pixel

I will try picking Photoshop back up this weekend and have a go at it, unless I totally forget about it.
Yeah, that's all good except the header can be up to 1200x100. I like to keep it narrow at the top so we don't waste a lot of space, forcing too much scrolling.

The mobile version of the theme I use is reasonable.

We might trim down the available themes to those that work with all of the extensions we have added in, and that will make adding a header to all of them easier.

The header should be something that looks good to CAD users. Hang the rest of them. :o
matt

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 pm

Damn. Didn't use enough purple!

Yeah, public domain. Tell you what. You can use anything you find on my dezignstuff.com site or in the SW Bibles or Mastering SolidWorks books (just run it by me first to make sure it's mine). Although I don't have a lot of (ok, any) electrical stuff. Hold it, I do, actually... in the chapter on automated assembly features I have some stuff that looks like wires and connectors.
mattpeneguy

My apologies for the off topic posts...I read it as a "Banter contest"...

Kidding aside, I think the important part is to make sure the aspect ratio is what @matt needs. It may be better to supply him with a higher res picture than what he needs, say 2400 x 200 instead of 1200 x 100. You can always reduce image quality but getting it back is near impossible.
AlexLachance

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 am My apologies for the off topic posts...I read it as a "Banter contest"...

Kidding aside, I think the important part is to make sure the aspect ratio is what @matt needs. It may be better to supply him with a higher res picture than what he needs, say 2400 x 200 instead of 1200 x 100. You can always reduce image quality but getting it back is near impossible.
Very valid point Matt!
matt

Unread post by matt »

matt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:54 am
mattpeneguy

Also @matt,
Thinking about this some more. You may consider upping the quality because going forward monitors are all going to be 4k minimum. So getting as good quality original images now may be best. I know our Department website logos and such look terrible on 4k monitors because they're all low resolution.
What would be the best is if you could get the image in SVG, but I don't know how to do that in SW (may be possible in Composer or another CAD package).
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

My banner entry for the win:
Attachments
image.png
image.png (257.08 KiB) Viewed 21444 times
Jason
matt

Unread post by matt »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:32 am My banner entry for the win:
oh, geez. <()>
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

I've got a fine idea that I'd like to work up. Is there a time-frame? I'd like to work on this after I have captured what I want from the old Solidworks forum - that is, after this week.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Tom G wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 pm I've got a fine idea that I'd like to work up. Is there a time-frame? I'd like to work on this after I have captured what I want from the old Solidworks forum - that is, after this week.
If I'd been on top of things, I'd have had something like this going for April 2, but ... I know it takes volunteers a while to do stuff, but if you don't give a deadline it doesn't get done. So... We'll start a poll for choosing the winner on April 21. Get your entries in by then.
mattpeneguy

Here's my suggestion:
image.png
image.png (7.71 KiB) Viewed 21416 times
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Dropping mine here... :geek:
Just a rough sketch at the moment.

Update:
  • Upload a higher resolution version (see attachment)
  • Adjust lighting to make side edge more visible
  • Font use: OpenSans (It should be under Apache License 2.0, should it should not face any copyright infringement...)
  • Logo created using SOLIDWORKS and Powerpoint
Preview (Open image in new tab)
Light Mode Dark Mode
logo_lightmode.png
logo_darkmode.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:04 pm Dropping mine here... :geek:
image.png
Looks great!

We'll start voting on April 21, so ~2.5 weeks to go!
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

matt wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 pm
image.png
Looks great!

We'll start voting on April 21, so ~2.5 weeks to go!
Made some updates in the previous reply, so i am done :lol:
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
matt

Unread post by matt »

You've got to do better than this to win eternal glory in the CADForum logo contest. Still a pretty low bar. Entries due by April 21, when we'll start a poll. Gloating starts for one lucky individual on April 26.

We don't have any prizes aside from eternal glory right now, but that might change. Still, eternal glory in a bunch of over achievers like we have here is pretty good!
jcapriotti

@matt, you mean you want me to enter a serious entry?

Cause I can do this all day.
image.png
Jason
AlexLachance

I tried downloading Photoshop this weekend but it seems it's a lot harder to get then it was 10 years ago, besides Gimp is there any other software that's free that I could use..?
AlexLachance

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:49 pm @matt, you mean you want me to enter a serious entry?

Cause I can do this all day.

image.png
That kinda wins it in my book :lol:
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

I just seen this thread this morning, so here is my entry "Bed Of Nails" which was done using SolidWorks, this one is also Dave Bear's favorite SW Art, so anyone that remembers the Dave Bear story will recall that they applied a Skin on his laptop using the "Bed Of Nails" picture.

I can supply a copy of the original pc, it's rather large, but it can be resized to whatever you need.
image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Roasted By John wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 am I just seen this thread this morning, so here is my entry "Bed Of Nails" which was done using SolidWorks, this one is also Dave Bear's favorite SW Art, so anyone that remembers the Dave Bear story will recall that they applied a Skin on his laptop using the "Bed Of Nails" picture.

I can supply a copy of the original pc, it's rather large, but it can be resized to whatever you need.

image.png
Amazing...

Some suggestion:
It will be even more amazing if the pic provide some indication that it is done using CAD as i think this will make it serve better as our CAD forum logo..
My thought is that if you still have the original model, maybe you can try render two view (full color like the pic, wireframe/mesh/hidden-line view), cut them in half and combine them
image.png
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 am
Roasted By John wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:41 am I just seen this thread this morning, so here is my entry "Bed Of Nails" which was done using SolidWorks, this one is also Dave Bear's favorite SW Art, so anyone that remembers the Dave Bear story will recall that they applied a Skin on his laptop using the "Bed Of Nails" picture.

image.png
Amazing...

Some suggestion:
It will be even more amazing if the pic provide some indication that it is done using CAD as i think this will make it serve better as our CAD forum logo..
My thought is that if you still have the original model, maybe you can try render two view (full color like the pic, wireframe/mesh/hidden-line view), cut them in half and combine them

image.png
I love your idea and your example. You should be in Marketing! How are you a lieing?
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
jcapriotti

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:44 am My thought is that if you still have the original model, maybe you can try render two view (full color like the pic, wireframe/mesh/hidden-line view), cut them in half and combine them
Is there a renderer that does this with the wireframe / shaded gradient?
Jason
jcapriotti

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 am I tried downloading Photoshop this weekend but it seems it's a lot harder to get then it was 10 years ago, besides Gimp is there any other software that's free that I could use..?
Not quite free but fairly inexpensive and currently 50% off ($25) is Affinity Photo. It does 90% of what Photoshop does and you get a perpetual license that you only upgrade when you want. Patches are released monthly and there is a store to purchase brushes, textures, etc.

Affinity Photo = Photoshop
Affinity Designer = Illustrator
Affinity Publisher = InDesign

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/
Jason
AlexLachance

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 am
AlexLachance wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 am I tried downloading Photoshop this weekend but it seems it's a lot harder to get then it was 10 years ago, besides Gimp is there any other software that's free that I could use..?
Not quite free but fairly inexpensive and currently 50% off ($25) is Affinity Photo. It does 90% of what Photoshop does and you get a perpetual license that you only upgrade when you want. Patches are released monthly and there is a store to purchase brushes, textures, etc.

Affinity Photo = Photoshop
Affinity Designer = Illustrator
Affinity Publisher = InDesign

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/
Will give it a look! Sounds interesting!
AlexLachance

So I tried giving it a shot this weekend but I'm just unable to put up something that fits my taste because, well it's been so long since I did "artsy" stuff with Photoshop, and I'm using Gimp rather then photoshop. I still haven't tried what Mr. Capriotti told me about but I might next weekend. WIth the nice weather coming back my weekends are getting busier..
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

..maybe Matt needs a pierced ear with a lure? :lol:
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Update:
  • Upload a higher resolution version (see attachment)
  • Adjust lighting to make side edge more visible
  • Font use: OpenSans (It should be under Apache License 2.0, should it should not face any copyright infringement...)
  • Logo created using SOLIDWORKS and Powerpoint
Preview (Open image in new tab)
Light Mode Dark Mode
logo_lightmode.png logo_darkmode.png
Zhen,.. that's pretty good! :D
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
matt

Unread post by matt »

Remember we start voting on images tomorrow, so get your entry in tonight. For those of you on the other side of the world, I'm not sure if you're ahead of us or behind us, so we'll play that one by ear. Tomorrow +/- a day or so.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:45 pm Remember we start voting on images tomorrow, so get your entry in tonight. For those of you on the other side of the world, I'm not sure if you're ahead of us or behind us, so we'll play that one by ear. Tomorrow +/- a day or so.
Did you ever have any luck fixing the image not showing issue? I'm still getting the broken links, just wondering if it's just me.
mike miller

This is my submission:
2021-01-25 13_15_53.jpg
2021-01-25 13_15_53.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 21214 times
matt

Unread post by matt »

MJuric wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:23 pm Did you ever have any luck fixing the image not showing issue? I'm still getting the broken links, just wondering if it's just me.
This is taking longer than I hoped. Not sure if I'll be 100% successful. I need to recover a bunch of image files.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Re-upload as it seem that the old image is broken
Attachments
CADForumLogo_Rev1.png
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

I never made the free time to create my idea. I was thinking something like the letters in a foreshortened exploded view, with a few appearances thrown in like glass, steel, and plastic. Don't hold up a poll for my lateness.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Tom G wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:30 am I never made the free time to create my idea. I was thinking something like the letters in a foreshortened exploded view, with a few appearances thrown in like glass, steel, and plastic. Don't hold up a poll for my lateness.
Well, hurry up! We can always add you late. I think I set Monday the 26th for the last day of the poll.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Not done with this. I'll GIMP it out this evening.
FORUM.JPG
AlexLachance

That's pretty sweet Tom!
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

My submission.
Modeled with SW
Rendered with SW Visualize
Edited with Adobe Photoshop

Edit: I may post another rev tomorrow or Monday because this one I noticed is slightly cocked and the "A place for CAD Users by CAD Users" text is a little small.
Attachments
CAD_Forum_Logo_REV03.jpg
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 pm My submission.
Modeled with SW
Rendered with SW Visualize
Edited with Adobe Photoshop

Edit: I may post another rev tomorrow or Monday because this one I noticed is slightly cocked and the "A place for CAD Users by CAD Users" text is a little small.

Some comment, maybe try making the view "FLAT"? the 3D text make it hard to read.
To make the text stood out more in flat view, maybe also add in some draft or taper
image.png
matt

Unread post by matt »

Let's put off the voting until Monday. Looks like there might be a couple of additional entries. Sorry @Zhen-Wei Tee .
Edu User Anon

Unread post by Edu User Anon »

I'm lazy, but maybe someone can finish this? Note: artwork is not mine, but I did photoshop the logo onto the screen.
btIFo6zf3i8tMoLtU-9QEM7f2_qUKPyou80GvHWJZi4.png