SOLIDWORKS Electrical 2D - Cable Fanouts in Schematic

JSculley
Answers: 53

SOLIDWORKS Electrical 2D - Cable Fanouts in Schematic

Unread post by JSculley »

I'm trying to find a robust, simple way to create a cable fanout. Here's something close to what I want:
image.png
Ideally, rather than cable core texts, wire labels would be shown, but that doesn't work. I can get a label on one side but not the other. Also, this arrangement is very fragile and will often revert to something like this:
image.png
It also gets exponentially slower as more wires are added.

So, to get things to look like the first image, I start with a mixed scheme and draw the wires like this:
image.png
I use wire cabling order to get all the start and end points correct:
image.png
I then move the central wire to a hidden layer and add two line diagram symbols and draw a cable between them:
image.png
Next I reserve the cable (deselecting the cores) :
image.png
Finally, I associate the cable cores:
image.png
The finished product (except for wire numbers)
image.png
And wire numbers are the problem. If I add wire numbers at this point, the wheels start to come off:
image.png
Note that the left hand wires are each showing an extra wire (12V-26). The extra wire can also be seen in the associate cable cores dialog. If I go back to 'Wire cabling order', I can delete the offending wire, but it will inevitably come back at some point. Just going back into the wire cabling order dialog, or right clicking on wire is enough to trigger its recreation. As the number of wires increases, so does the number of extra unwanted wires. For example, I have this:
image.png
which has 15 extraneous wires:
image.png
This is so close to working correctly, I'm hoping there is a simple solution. If not, I'd be interested in how others are creating cable fanouts.