AutoCAD in the lead for Metaverse adoption?

Alibre, FreeCAD, Sketchup, ZX, AutoCAD, Microstation,
Tom G
Answers: 0

AutoCAD in the lead for Metaverse adoption?

Unread post by Tom G »

(Preface: I'm a bit surprised that AutoCAD is categorized here as Miscellaneous, lol. Dinosaurs still live.)

Today I read about AutoCAD's partnership with Epic Games. Revit subscribers will have access to new tools as they are released. New cloud platforms are being created over the next 5 years, targeted for builders, entertainment and media, and manufacturing.
One of the challenges to convert CAD data into metaverse data is that the metaverse primarily operates on databases, and CAD operates on files. So they are working on the conversion of building data into databases by slicing up the data which can be used in the cloud.

Link: https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-metav ... -anagnost/

Furthermore, are any other CAD platforms even addressing development into the metaverse? Some companies are so full of their own misguided priorities (ahem) that I can't believe that they would be able to shift and adapt to new paradigms. Previously, Unreal seemed like the best tools to merge these, but I could be misunderstanding that.

What is the Metaverse? It's in peak hype, and the hottest buzzword of the year. Look it up, sorry I can't effectively summarize it for you.
I've followed VR trends for 30 years, since before the hardware caught up to the theory. I'm interested in which companies are able to adapt to emerging trends and which companies will be left behind to their own past (i.e., current) niche uses.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: AutoCAD in the lead for Metaverse adoption?

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Tom G wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:27 am (Preface: I'm a bit surprised that AutoCAD is categorized here as Miscellaneous, lol. Dinosaurs still live.)

Today I read about AutoCAD's partnership with Epic Games. Revit subscribers will have access to new tools as they are released. New cloud platforms are being created over the next 5 years, targeted for builders, entertainment and media, and manufacturing.
One of the challenges to convert CAD data into metaverse data is that the metaverse primarily operates on databases, and CAD operates on files. So they are working on the conversion of building data into databases by slicing up the data which can be used in the cloud.

Link: https://www.zdnet.com/article/the-metav ... -anagnost/

Furthermore, are any other CAD platforms even addressing development into the metaverse? Some companies are so full of their own misguided priorities (ahem) that I can't believe that they would be able to shift and adapt to new paradigms. Previously, Unreal seemed like the best tools to merge these, but I could be misunderstanding that.

What is the Metaverse? It's in peak hype, and the hottest buzzword of the year. Look it up, sorry I can't effectively summarize it for you.
I've followed VR trends for 30 years, since before the hardware caught up to the theory. I'm interested in which companies are able to adapt to emerging trends and which companies will be left behind to their own past (i.e., current) niche uses.
Just as long as it leverages blockchain and resides in the cloud, I'm sure it will work out.
It's hard to see where things are heading, but it's probably not where the prognosticators are predicting...Where are all the flying cars we are supposed to have?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I've been curious about this subject for a little while too, because I think it's a 'very interesting vision' that has many benefits, but many more hidden flaws that simply can't be adressed because they're sort of 'forbidden visions'.

What I mean by that, is that I love the idea of the Metaverse and what Zuckerberg explains is his vision of it. It's a beautiful concept that could somewhat 'revolutionize' the world in terms of consumption and maybe change it for the better.

What I don't like of the Metaverse, is the hidden intents that could could be hidden behind it so that it emerges. For instance, if they do 'revolutionize' the world so that it switches from 'overcomsuption' to a 'Metaverse consumption', the principle is pretty awesome as it removes 'waste', but the idea behind it is scary to say the least, that someone could have control over who gets access to what and when for the 'sake of humanity' in his own beliefs. What if a dictator gets the grip of the leashes?

Also, the eventual integration of the Metaverse will eventually have people dreaming of integrating these to humans in some sort of microchip so that it can be accessed by anyone, anywhere, anytime. But what if corruption happens? What if, for instance, an AI becomes corrupt and takes over the controls of the microchips, is this the beginning of Terminator? I know I'm exaggerating quite a bit, but I'm sure most of you get the jist of what I'm saying. Just because these things are 'extremes', it does not mean they should be neglected, they should actually form a sort of line as to which boundaries to 'secure' before crossing them. Or at least, that's my 'outside vision' of it.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

I have to think of this quote from Thoreau: "Technology is improved means to unintended ends."
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:30 pm We need to store data in a format that can be reuse.
I think this was better adressed here.

I think we can all agree that storing data in a format that can be used universally is a must, but there's a lot of those 'variables' that are things that people like to keep 'power' over.

Let's take your sentence for an example.

What is data? Many have different interpretations.
Where would it be stored? Many want it stored locally, many want it accessed anywhere.
What is a format that can be used and reused? Do we create a new format, or do we start from an existing one and try to project further down the road? Lot's of things to think about there. Lots of people would rather start from scratch then work on old things to expand them into the new technology that we live in. Maybe it's obsolete too.
"Can be used and reused" is also quite vague since in general, nothing lasts forever, as I just said, many things become obsolete over time for reasons as simple as "It would take more time to take the old one and continue working with the constraints that it has then to create a new one from scratch that represents what I Imagine"

I think it's a really interesting subject, I don't work into it but sometimes I wish I did so I could see how it works behind the scene. The level of complexity in there has got to be astounding.

Imagine a numerical world, like Neo sees it in the Matrix. I think that's what it comes down to it in terms of database because numbers are pretty much universal.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

"Data" - history and features of parts is one
We want keep those but lots of time we don't need to.
ie Master Sketch and SSP
Nice when we are designing whole thing.
It get crazy after that when we need to make small change.
Lots of time a dumb solid is enough.

"Format"
STEP, Parasolid for model and assembly
PDF for drawing
So far they could out last any CAD and document format.

Of course, saving out config parts and assemblies will be tricky.

"Media"
This never stop changing. Stone, wood, paper, floppy, CD, DVD, Server, USD,SSD, Cloud, DNA, Quantum bits.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Previously, Unreal seemed like the best tools to merge these, but I could be misunderstanding that.
Yeah, I did misunderstand that. Unreal IS Epic Games.

Anyway, further eye candy on the original topic - same story, new coverage. It goes by quickly, teasing some of its features.

... and another story link with a few more relevant details: https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/29/2337 ... esign-tool (which also includes the embedded video).
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:15 am What I don't like of the Metaverse, is the hidden intents that could could be hidden behind it so that it emerges. For instance, if they do 'revolutionize' the world so that it switches from 'overcomsuption' to a 'Metaverse consumption', the principle is pretty awesome as it removes 'waste', but the idea behind it is scary to say the least, that someone could have control over who gets access to what and when for the 'sake of humanity' in his own beliefs. What if a dictator gets the grip of the leashes?

Also, the eventual integration of the Metaverse will eventually have people dreaming of integrating these to humans in some sort of microchip so that it can be accessed by anyone, anywhere, anytime. But what if corruption happens? What if, for instance, an AI becomes corrupt and takes over the controls of the microchips, is this the beginning of Terminator? I know I'm exaggerating quite a bit, but I'm sure most of you get the jist of what I'm saying. Just because these things are 'extremes', it does not mean they should be neglected, they should actually form a sort of line as to which boundaries to 'secure' before crossing them. Or at least, that's my 'outside vision' of it.
It sounds to me like you're into the same rabbit hole as I am. I personally have a saying to express my operational cynicism: "In the course of human events, there's always time to f*** it up." That is in this case, nothing is pure or uncorruptable, and progress is always a double edged sword.

People should not ever consider THE Metaverse to be a single thing. This is why it is based on the word universe, whereas the universe that we know contains many worlds with unique properties. It is a broad inclusive term, even if some people need to simplify and reduce it to wrap their head around it and convey in a simplistic story or report that fits within their own understandings or those of their audience.

Example 1: Civic, architectural, infrastructural, and industrial designs can be tested in independent Digital Twins, where real things are represented and simulated. AI's can be trained (see also Machine Learning) within a Digital Twin. Each of these is a Metaworld.

Example 2: A dominant commercial 'world' intended to be commonplace, like social media currently is. You're supposed to be on Facebook, right? Why aren't you? What is wrong with you? -- I am not on Facebook and do not care. I do not feel a need to do what others do. This potential dominant common Metaworld is about equivalent to America Online (AOL) in the past, which lived upon the Internet, but was not the Internet. It was a walled garden, a small portion of a larger totality. Any "Metaverse" product launched by Meta (the company formerly known as Facebook) will be just as immediately ubiquitous and also eventually obsolete as AOL was and then became. Another Metaworld, even if it attempts to connect to others. Let me repeat: when Meta boldly creates a "Metaverse" product, this is NOT the entirety of the actual Metaverse. It is the one they want to provide you in exchange for money.

Example 3: Entertainment. Virtual music concerts, immersive movies, games, and creative media representations which do not even exist yet - so what do we call those? News, academic lectures, political gatherings, dance halls, hiking trails, sports arenas, race tracks, tourism, telepresence, or just about anything can fit within a different understanding of a new shared reality framework where individuals can gather.

Example 4: Games. Sure, I said this in entertainment but it bears repetition and its own category. This is where anything can go within the Metaworld of one specific game, as long as its unique properties pretty much apply equally to all users within it. It echoes the past, and breaks real world expectations.

This next bit starts to go off the rails, if you consider reality as your prime environment. On the other hand, it is naturally intuitive if games are your prime environment.
Long ago in my theorizing, I projected that perceptual norms are not necessary in VR - eventually. Of course, to begin with, users require agreement in virtual worlds compared to perceptual norms, so as to not disorient them and hinder wide adoption. However, you can consider the existing variations in object physics available within some games to eventually apply as a feature within VR. Some examples: object permanence, visual foreshortening, instantaneous relocations (teleporting), perceptual scale, conservation of mass, and more. Each of these can be broken, inversed, or made irrelevant by interactional mechanics. I'll elaborate if you can't imagine the parallels.

IRL, can you pull a 20-foot sailboat / airplane / gun / pizza out of a 2-foot crate? No. In a game you can. You can even put it in your backpack.
IRL, can you consume endless material and gain no size? No. Pac Man and Sonic did that ages ago.
IRL, can you travel instantaneously? No. Super Mario Brothers had Warp Zones and Underworld (the green pipes) to explore extradimensional space and instantaneously travel to a new location. More recently, see Portal and many many others.
IRL, can you shrink yourself to explore the thread jungle which is the carpet that you walk on? No. Many games achieve this, or its inverse of gigantification.
IRL, if injured, can you heal instantaneously? IRL can you live more than once? I think you may be getting the point by now.
IRL, do you have magic? No. Tricks are cool and all but that's all it is.
Clearly, games can do what is not possible in real life. You will see every potential experiential variable in VR that owes no conformance to real life expectations, and they will be as normal as breathing to those who inhabit those Metaworlds.

Broadly in summation, The Metaverse is a concept which can share commonalities between virtual properties. It does not need to meet your perceptual expectations, but it will need to in its infancy only. It does not need to be limited to one company. Some parts of it will cost money to enter or access, just as real things do. After all, there are computers, servers, infrastructure, and other concerns which have material costs, development costs, and upkeep and energy costs which will allow all of the above to function. This is not a (RL) public park that you can walk to and enjoy freely. Someone will monetize it, or else it will not exist. At the same time, alternatives will always exist, including unauthorized access, duplication, or piracy.

To bring this back to OP, CAD companies will provide a portion of the tools to design these worlds. So I share it here.
AlexLachance

Tom G wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:25 pm It sounds to me like you're into the same rabbit hole as I am. I personally have a saying to express my operational cynicism: "In the course of human events, there's always time to f*** it up." That is in this case, nothing is pure or uncorruptable, and progress is always a double edged sword.
It is always with the best intentions that the worst work is done.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Just go watch anime.
Ghost in the Shell
Cyberpunk

Elon will have SkyNet online soon.